Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Duchess Maria Teresa  (Read 168657 times)
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: May 03, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »

The general consensus was that JC was a difficult person, MT is just the only person who went on record. She allegedly used to tell people in arguments "Je suis fille roi moi!" Which translates to "I am the daughter of a king."
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: May 03, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »

This is actually IMO quite an interesting thing to revisit now we know the truth about MT's behaviour.

I wonder now if it wasn't a case of two people, almost too alike in some ways - stubborn, controlling and use to getting their own way - clashing with each other. I never understood why MT (with Henri) by her side, would want to go public with any feud - even if you were bullied by your mother-in-law would you really want to make that public, by which I mean call the press to your Palace to make it public. I wonder if there was an element of "point scoring" or trying to get the last word in.

Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: May 03, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

This is actually IMO quite an interesting thing to revisit now we know the truth about MT's behaviour.

I wonder now if it wasn't a case of two people, almost too alike in some ways - stubborn, controlling and use to getting their own way - clashing with each other. I never understood why MT (with Henri) by her side, would want to go public with any feud - even if you were bullied by your mother-in-law would you really want to make that public, by which I mean call the press to your Palace to make it public. I wonder if there was an element of "point scoring" or trying to get the last word in.

There have always been suggestions that Jean and JC were pushed into an arranged marriage... but they were equal in status... Henri and MT are not. Henri was well raised in terms of being a statesman and was expected to make an equal marriage. MT was from a wealthy family but her genetic background was potentially a problem. Somehow the alliance went ahead ... MT was unlikely to forget any slights against her. And she has played Grande Dame ever since. Not a nice woman at all
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »

There have always been suggestions that Jean and JC were pushed into an arranged marriage... but they were equal in status... Henri and MT are not. Henri was well raised in terms of being a statesman and was expected to make an equal marriage. MT was from a wealthy family but her genetic background was potentially a problem. Somehow the alliance went ahead ... MT was unlikely to forget any slights against her. And she has played Grande Dame ever since. Not a nice woman at all

So many great points made here!   Star for Ralf, Princess, LMSR, Maria  and Cordelia.

I think we are on to something:  JC was an imperious meany-pants and now we know MT is as well. I guess Henri subconsciously picked a woman more like his mother than either would want to admit.
Royal Di

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »

,,, I was wondering if MT's mother-in-law was truly as awful as her reputation indicates or if the tales that came out about her were part of MT's manipulative tendencies.  Does that make sense?  I've only ever heard how ugly her behavior was towards MT (not to everyone), and I found myself wondering if she really was that hateful or if MT just spun it to portray herself as the victim.  ...

When Maria Teresa met "off-the-record" with 15 journalists in 2002, she claimed that Josephine-Charlotte hated her and wanted to break up her marriage to Grand Duke Henri. During this "surreal" meeting, MT was said to have sobbed for an hour and a half and appeared to be "riddled with despair." This does not strike me as manipulative behavior but rather desperation brought on by the rumors of Henri's affair with Lydie Polfer.

There was also talk that Josephine-Charlotte had a stroke in her later years which changed her personality. She was said to have become critical of some of her other children, including Marie-Astrid. According to Le Soir, GD Henri never had a strong connection with his parents and supported his wife's claims.

Some think that Maria Teresa was the victim of jealousy of her mother-in-law "who would have taken umbrage to the popularity acquired by her daughter-in-law since her enthronement."

https://www.lesoir.be/art...is_t-20020622-Z0M00R.html

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: May 03, 2020, 04:59:04 PM »

Was JC still alive when MT went public with her mother-in-law woes?
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: May 03, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »

Was JC still alive when MT went public with her mother-in-law woes?

She was.
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: May 03, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »

Yes, JC and Jean were said to be both be in love with others when they married. But GD Charlotte and Queen Elisabeth were said to have made that marriage deal when they were, kinda like Elisabeth did with he own daugther Marie Josť and Umberto of Italy. Though unlike, Umberto and MJ, Jean and JC ended up having a happy union.

I think both MT and JC were/are difficult. MT is definitely more like JC that she would like to admit. I know Tessy is a mess, but I don't think it's shocking that she praises Henri and Jean but has nothing nice to say MT.

JC got along better with her other children-in-laws, most of whom had a royal background, but they also all lived outside of Lux. I don't know how those relatonships would have evolved if they lived near her all year long like MT.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: May 04, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »

Thank you all for the responses!   Star

It's a shame that both women seem to be vicious.  It makes me wonder why some people marry people as mean as their parents and some people are able to break that cycle but that's probably a topic for a separate thread.

It is always startling to me to see how much Henri looks like his mom!!  They could be twins, if you could have a set of male-female identical twins!   

And now as I eagerly await news of Stephanie's baby, I will prepare myself for the ill-timed release of a softly focused picture of Grandma Maria Theresa, hair gelled just so, blouse unbuttoned just one button too far...
gem

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:31 AM »

I wonder if GD Jean ever said "Why attack a sick woman"
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: May 17, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »

Jean was of a generation, where royals still knew that it was them serving the public and not vice versa.

Henri and MT especially don't.
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: May 17, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

Jean was of a generation, where royals still knew that it was them serving the public and not vice versa.

Plus Jean knew that JC was a big girl and could fight her own battles, so he didn't play knight in tarnished amrour to defend her "honour".
Gilmourgirl

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: May 17, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »

I think this whole story is rather odd and it says more about MT than JC. Even if you don't get along with your mil, you don't invite the press to whinge about it. It's not even ok with the Kardashians, but definately a complete tabu for a Head of State and his wife. Bad manners, indeed.

And I also call BS on JC trying to break up the marriage; she was old school and wouldn't aprove of a divorce, let alone instigate it.

Also, I've read that JC's grandchildren adored her (don't remember where I read it, am trying to find it again). Children don't normally like people who are mean to their parents. Children are very sensitive of such things.
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: May 17, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »

I think this whole story is rather odd and it says more about MT than JC. Even if you don't get along with your mil, you don't invite the press to whinge about it. It's not even ok with the Kardashians, but definately a complete tabu for a Head of State and his wife. Bad manners, indeed.

And I also call BS on JC trying to break up the marriage; she was old school and wouldn't aprove of a divorce, let alone instigate it.

Also, I've read that JC's grandchildren adored her (don't remember where I read it, am trying to find it again). Children don't normally like people who are mean to their parents. Children are very sensitive of such things.

The family is Catholic..... back then no way would JC be a party to a divorce.... she might have run MT off but for what outcome.... Henri would never be able to marry again at that time.... an affair maybe but I suspect MT was being a trouble maker and still is. JC was right in terms of MT not suitable.... not for her background as assumed at the time but for her scheming nature
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: May 17, 2020, 11:50:34 PM »

Plus Jean knew that JC was a big girl and could fight her own battles, so he didn't play knight in tarnished amrour to defend her "honour".

True. The princess behavior installed in JC was also good for something.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: