Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Duchess Maria Teresa  (Read 37305 times)
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:53 AM »

I've always liked the Grand Duchess.  I never understood why her mother-in-law hated her so much.
Chrissie

Medium Member

Eleanor, Queen of Badassery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:47 AM »

I've always liked the Grand Duchess.  I never understood why her mother-in-law hated her so much.

Mothers-in-law can be a special breed, royal or not... But I'm wondering about it too. Was it because Maria Teresa, other than JC, wasn't stuck in an arranged marriage? Was it a more dynastic reason because the marriage wasn't equal and it got them into all sorts of trouble with the Bourbon-Parma relatives (losing the kids their "Prince of Bourbon-Parma" title)? Personality clash between two assertative women? I've never seen any explanation about this that wasn't hearsay. Thinking
Charlotte

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »

Happy Birthday GD Maria Teresa!!

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa celebrates 55th Birthday
http://translate.google.c...%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Divns

CD.

Humongous Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »

Mothers-in-law can be a special breed, royal or not... But I'm wondering about it too. Was it because Maria Teresa, other than JC, wasn't stuck in an arranged marriage? Was it a more dynastic reason because the marriage wasn't equal and it got them into all sorts of trouble with the Bourbon-Parma relatives (losing the kids their "Prince of Bourbon-Parma" title)? Personality clash between two assertative women? I've never seen any explanation about this that wasn't hearsay. Thinking

Let me provide an answer that I have seen time and time agian......no one was good enough for her son.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and military consequences of the lie.The truth is the greatest enemy of the State"

J Goebbels
A_little_bird

Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:32 AM »

Let me provide an answer that I have seen time and time agian......no one was good enough for her son.

Maybe the daughter-in-law was the difficult one? I've never believed that it's always the MIL's fault. They always get a bad rap.
Izzy

Micro Member

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 01:34:13 AM »

I read somewhere (can't remember when) that MT has a really strong personality so, maybe that was one of the reason her an JC didn't get along well...
CD.

Humongous Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:31:45 AM »

Maybe the daughter-in-law was the difficult one? I've never believed that it's always the MIL's fault. They always get a bad rap.
It's very simple actually. Once are married the inlaws should butt out.
JC should have been plesant and left the family alone. If the son wasn't happy he should say so. To his wife.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and military consequences of the lie.The truth is the greatest enemy of the State"

J Goebbels
danishorphan

Warned
Gigantic Member

Papua New Guinea Papua New Guinea

Lives to fill her hollow leg!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »

thanks pk.  Star Hug

thanks for the explanation and a  Star for charlotte because she can have that but prolly not the lips of Guillaume! Yeah, he's ok. Id prolly go out with him if asked. cuz he's not too bad looking and he's a prince to boot. Just for the novelty of it and to see if he could live up to my hopes and standards!! I'd like to give him a shot at trying to impress me!! Why not? Who on this board wouldn't??? Married ones might have a problem, a conflict, I could see that....

The truth will eventually be revealed!
A_little_bird

Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »

It's very simple actually. Once are married the inlaws should butt out.
JC should have been plesant and left the family alone. If the son wasn't happy he should say so. To his wife.

Who's to say she wasn't? Maybe DILs should grow up a bit and try to get along with their new families?

Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Princess Gollumina wants her precioussss

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »

I was reading about the Lux family and thought I might revive this thread. I never knew Maria Teresa's mother-in-law and father-in-law were so mean towards her.  Angry Reading about them has certainly changed my opinion on them. From Wikipedia:

"Shortly after the death of her mother-in-law, Princess Joséphine Charlotte of Belgium, Maria Teresa opened her heart to reveal that her relationship with her ​​husband's mother has never been good because of her Cuban and commoner origin."

"In 1986, Grand Duke Jean renounced the title Prince/Princesse de Bourbon de Parme for himself and his family, when his eldest son, then-Hereditary Grand Duke Henri married Maria-Theresa Mestre. The reason for this was that the Duke of Parma, Carlos Hugo, ruled the marriage unequal in 1981, as well as the marriage of Prince Jean to Hélène Suzanna Vestur in 1987, for which he had renounced his rights to Luxembourg in 1986."

Okay, so not sure GD Jean hated her but it sure seems he wasn't too keen on them marrying and they had to convince him for years. I know Sugars have a lot of info on the whole MT subject (and not all of it seems the usual fluff) and this time I actually think they know something.

The Rally Prince driving (yes, it's really him)...
SydneyLux

Micro Member

Luxembourg Luxembourg

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »

I was reading about the Lux family and thought I might revive this thread. I never knew Maria Teresa's mother-in-law and father-in-law were so mean towards her.  Angry Reading about them has certainly changed my opinion on them. From Wikipedia:

"Shortly after the death of her mother-in-law, Princess Joséphine Charlotte of Belgium, Maria Teresa opened her heart to reveal that her relationship with her ​​husband's mother has never been good because of her Cuban and commoner origin."

"In 1986, Grand Duke Jean renounced the title Prince/Princesse de Bourbon de Parme for himself and his family, when his eldest son, then-Hereditary Grand Duke Henri married Maria-Theresa Mestre. The reason for this was that the Duke of Parma, Carlos Hugo, ruled the marriage unequal in 1981, as well as the marriage of Prince Jean to Hélène Suzanna Vestur in 1987, for which he had renounced his rights to Luxembourg in 1986."

Okay, so not sure GD Jean hated her but it sure seems he wasn't too keen on them marrying and they had to convince him for years. I know Sugars have a lot of info on the whole MT subject (and not all of it seems the usual fluff) and this time I actually think they know something.

Of course no one really has an inside into the family and so nobody besides the immediate family members really know what went on.

First of all, one has to understand that both GDss JC and GD Jean come from a very old set of royalty, both of them were in love with commoners at the time of their wedding but back in the 50's there wasn't even the question of marrying for love. I think it was Queen Margerethe that described GDss JC as "the last true royal" so I have no doubts that GDss JC wasn't thrilled that all of her sons married commoners. Maybe she was a bit more welcoming towards Sibilla because she had a lot of royal ancestry on her mother's side (her grandmother was a Spanish infanta and she is a descendant of Queen Victoria).

Though by all accounts she was the one who welcomed MT into the family and encouraged her son to marry for love. She was the one who convinced her husband and her mother-in-law GD Charlotte to agree to a marriage between Henri and the woman he loved.

Both JC and MT have/had very strong personalities, and by everything I heard I think that it was simply a clash of personalities. JC had very high standards for herself and everyone around her, by a lot of accounts MT did not meet those standards in first years of her marriage. Luxembourg might be a beautiful country but it's tiny and back in the 80's there was even less going on than today. Some people have described it as something like a golden cage for MT and at one point she even tried to "flee" the country; Gui, Felix and Louis were already born at that time. I have heard to different stories: the first one being that she could have left the country but that she would have had to leave her sons behind and the other one being that she made her way to Findel airport and had already booked a flight, then the guards at the airport called the palace and she went back home. The latter one is the story I heard more often, maybe it was a combination of the two, who knows...

If my memory serves me right, the Wikipedia entry must be false cause the encounter with the journalists happened in the early 2000's before JC's death. A lot of people say that the two women rekindled their relationship before JC's passing.

One thing you have to keep in mind that the truth is usually somewhere in the middle: 1) MT is a woman who likes to be the center of attention, 2) she hasn't always cherished her life in the Grand Duchy, 3) I don't think her and Henri's marriage has always been as good as it has been portrayed to the outside, 4) JC is a royal with moral standards few could live up to.

GD Jean might have renounced the de Bourbon de Parme titles in 1986 but the decree is no longer in order. In 1995 the Arrêté grand-ducal governing the names and titles of members of the Grand Ducal Family repealed the 1986 decree. They might not be in the line of succession to the (defunct) throne of Bourbon-Parma, but GD Jean, GD Henri, HGD Guillaume, P Felix, P Louis, Pss Alexandra, P Sebastien, P Guillaume and P Jean are again de Bourbon de Parme's.
Royal Di

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:42 AM »

SydneyLux, I think you have written a very good summary of the situation.  There are definitely missing pieces to this puzzle.

The off-the-record press luncheon in which Maria Teresa complained about her mother-in-law took place in June, 2002.  Josephine-Charlotte died in January, 2005.  I remember reading that Josephine-Charlotte had a stroke in her later years that may have changed her personality and contributed toward the problems with Maria Teresa.  Have you heard that?

I am puzzled when you say that MT didn't live up to J-C's standards when she first came to Luxembourg.  Can you give examples?  From articles and videos from that period I think that MT was very accomplished and committed to her role, in some ways more that she is now.  She looked lovely and seemed to be a devoted mother, wife and princess.  I have read that she was more popular with the Luxembourgers than her mother-in-law.  I do wonder a little about the gap in ages between Louis and Alexandra.   Was this at time that she wanted out... as in the time of the supposed airport escape.  These were hard years she has said, for her mother died in 1988 at the young age 60.

I think whatever happened around the time of the press luncheon in 2002 has changed Maria Teresa in many ways.   Around this time she cancelled out of several official trips with Henri... e.g., one to Switzerland and one to China... at the last minute.  Check the pictures of her at Wimbledon for the Queen's 50th Jubilee and you will see that MT was in bad shape.  Some say she had a nervous breakdown.

Soon after she went through a transformation in her appearance which included very obvious breast implants and plastic surgery.  She started wearing low cut dresses and fake nails (see Felipe and Letizia's wedding.)  it seemed to be a real crisis of sorts in her life.  Did this take place because of Henri's alleged affairs?  Then there was the interview for her 25th wedding anniversary when she said that marriage is an "interesting journey."  This was a very different tone than she had taken before in interviews about her marriage. 

I think now she is almost apathetic toward her role as Grand Duchess.  She may or may not accompany Henri (when I think she should.)  For example, she was at the Olympics the first day or two, but then disappeared while her family remained.  Very strange to me.  Where does she go?  Some say she has a place in Paris; if this is true, wouldn't we have seen pictures?  Henri just seems to plug along with or without her.
appleberry

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »

Hi Royal Di,

Would you have any links to the 2002 pics at Wimbledon you mentioned? I tried to google them and had no luck...

Thanks for the info SydneyLux and Royal Di - I had only heard of the press conference before but not the rest of the info, so very interesting  Star
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »

I think the reason why they appear to know something is because MT herself spoke out about this to the press.  She gave the press a goldmine of information about how she felt about her in-laws Yes 

MT fascinates me.  I think she is beautiful and smart.  She also seems like she is tough and will fight back when she feels she's being slighted or threatened.

There are two royals whom I wish would write tell-all books:  Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and MT.  I have a feeling that they both have a lot to say Yes
Royal Di

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »

Hi Royal Di,
Would you have any links to the 2002 pics at Wimbledon you mentioned? I tried to google them and had no luck...

My apologies... I meant to say 2002 pics at Royal Ascot.  (Sorry I don't have a link, but this might help you search.)

In June 2002, Queen Elizabeth held a Golden Jubilee dinner party for European Royals at Windsor Castle to celebrate her 50-year reign.  The private dinner came on the eve of Royal Ascot.  All the reigning monarchs attended including the current Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, plus Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.  (Grand Duke Jean had abdicated in the fall of 2000.)  This gathering occurred shortly after Maria Teresa had invited 15 journalists to a luncheon where she cried and talked "off-the-record" about problems with her mother-in-law.   Shortly thereafter, rumors were flying about this meeting.  I can only imagine how embarrassing and awkward it might have been for MT to attend this dinner with her mother-in-law.  MT turned up at Royal Ascot the next day not looking her best: wrinkled clothes, little to no make-up, hair undone and hat pulled way down on her head. 

Here is the Telegraph article that was published in July 2002 about the luncheon with journalists:
http://www.telegraph.co.u...chess-does-a-Lady-Di.html
Supposedly, Grand Duke Henri greeted the journalists who attended and said that his wife had his full support for what she would say.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: