Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In a city the week of a royal wedding?  (Read 2200 times)
Flamingo

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:28:01 AM »

Quick question for people who have been in a city the week of a royal wedding - i.e., Stockholmers last June, or Copenhageners in May 04 Roll Eyes , etc., or just tourists.  What was the city like in the days right before and after?  Insanely crowded?  Hard to get around?  Major sites packed with tourists?  Or pretty much normal?

I ask because I have a friend studying in London, and I might go to visit her in the spring, and one of the more convenient weeks is looking like the week of 4/29.  I think it might be interesting to be there for the wedding (even though I don't much like either William or Kate), so I'd be willing to put up with a little extra crowding, but I don't want to go to London when it's absolutely nuts, because I'd obviously like to see the major tourist sites without too much hassle.
LadyBunion

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »

I was a student in London when C&D married. Crazy. traffic holdups everywhere as motorcades (mainly Nancy Reagan) wizzed around. I left town to watch on TV and let a cousin and bunch of friends have my room!
joys54

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »

Quick question for people who have been in a city the week of a royal wedding - i.e., Stockholmers last June, or Copenhageners in May 04 Roll Eyes , etc., or just tourists.  What was the city like in the days right before and after?  Insanely crowded?  Hard to get around?  Major sites packed with tourists?  Or pretty much normal?

I ask because I have a friend studying in London, and I might go to visit her in the spring, and one of the more convenient weeks is looking like the week of 4/29.  I think it might be interesting to be there for the wedding (even though I don't much like either William or Kate), so I'd be willing to put up with a little extra crowding, but I don't want to go to London when it's absolutely nuts, because I'd obviously like to see the major tourist sites without too much hassle.
You should go for it Flamingo...what the hell, it'll be nuts, but how many people can say they were near a royal wedding??  Here's a  Star to help you decide! Champagne
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »

That's sort of what I'm thinking, joys54 - it would just be kind of cool to look at the King and Queen of England 50 years from now and think, I was at their wedding...

Lady Bunion, was the city insane the whole week, or just the day before and the day of?

Star s to both of you!
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »

If you're thinking of coming then book now. Flights and hotels have already gone up.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
LadyBunion

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »

That's sort of what I'm thinking, joys54 - it would just be kind of cool to look at the King and Queen of England 50 years from now and think, I was at their wedding...

Lady Bunion, was the city insane the whole week, or just the day before and the day of?

Star s to both of you!
London always a bit crazy and very busy but I reckon it was the few days beforehand - went quiet quickly afterwards. Wouldn't let it stop you as there are often big events going on and the city copes. Having said that we will just have had 4 day weekend the week before for easter so I suspect some people will take 3 days leave from work and get an 11 day break... hence the days before may not be too bad.

Just had this e-mailed to me - must have booked through the company before...
http://www.superbreak.com/marketing/royal-wedding
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »

Thanks, Lady Bunion!  Star in 24.  I'll have a look at that website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: