Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dress  (Read 52107 times)
shoshanah

Ginormous Member

New Zealand New Zealand

getting ready for a date with Shosh

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »

I've read 40,000.

CountessMeOut
Banned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

Did the dress cost 30,000 or 300,000, does anybody know for sure? I have read both numbers ...

Did anybody by any chance come across a picture of the shoes? I caught a quick glimpse when she got out of the car - looked like a simple pair of white high heels ...

Many thanks!

The shoes were Alexander McQueen as well.

Interesting note, her something old/new/borrowed/blue. The borrowed is obviously her tiara, and the earrings from her parents were new. A blue ribbon was sewn into her skirts for blue. The old is a joke. The lace on her boudice is not old, it is new, made by the royal lace workers in Hampton Court palace. But the design is Carrickmacross, a style started in 1820. I don't see how a style from the 19th century constitutes old, when it is brand new.
ssassi

Huge Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2011, 09:36:14 PM »

In these pictures the dress looks ....wow ...stunning

I still don't like the vail and the style of hair-vail-tiara. Too flat. Too different in style from that dress. But I liked better when the vail was down.
Astrid

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

I agree with the posters who have said Pippa was wearing the dress Kate would have worn if she had married William Cavendish instead of William Wales.  Kate is clever or sly and was trying to send a message with her gown and styling.  She wanted to look virginal.  When she was waiting to go into the church she was trying for the pure, innocent, demure bridal look. 

She would have made more of a fashion statement with an updo, a fuller veil, and a bouquet that was the correct scale for the dress and the venue.  However, I don't believe she wanted to make that fashion statement.  She wants her friends, family and the rest of the world to forget the last ten years of waiting, wishing, hoping, and unemployment.  She'd also like us to forget the last ten years of shopping,  luxury vacations, booty calls, and being there at his slightest whim.

Therefore, when that veil was lifted off of her face and draped back over her hair it looked more like the cloth a young girl might wear if she were playing The Virgin Mary in an elementary school Nativity pageant.  It was also reminiscent of a nun's habit.  It was the limpest bridal veil I can remember, especially for a royal wedding.  She almost pulled off the ruse and probably fooled a lot of people.  However, she is proud of her body and couldn't resist the decolletage or the conical breast plate.  "You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but you cannot fool all the people all the time."   
Here's another limp bridal vail, and a bride letting her hair down:

http://www.fashion-era.co...ocialHistory/wdgrp400.jpg
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: May 04, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

did anyone ever see the shoes? i read they were made for the dress but the dress is so long i haven't even got a good glimpse of shoes. 

JMO but that QE2 wedding photo is depressing, nobody around them is smiling  Blink

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: May 04, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »

did anyone ever see the shoes? i read they were made for the dress but the dress is so long i haven't even got a good glimpse of shoes. 

JMO but that QE2 wedding photo is depressing, nobody around them is smiling  Blink

Only when she got out of the cars, and even then I didn't see much of them.
This is the same model, but the lace was different.

Kate was shod in custom-made shoes by Alexander McQueen.  The lace pattern (not shown but similiar to the above Alexander McQueen shoes) matched the lace on the wedding dress and was hand-embroidered by the Royal School of Needlework.  It is said that, to make the lace, workers washed their hands every thirty minutes to keep the lace and threads pristine with the needles being renewed every three hours to keep them sharp and clean.

Courtesy ShoeBlog, http://www.shoeblog.com/

A photo of Kate getting out of the car, shoes are somewhat visible.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/.../kate+middleton+shoes.jpg

CD.

Humongous Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/en...ry-fn885hn2-1226050679616

Lady says Dress is hers...

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and military consequences of the lie.The truth is the greatest enemy of the State"

J Goebbels
Lolly

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »

I like that woman's better, honestly.  The bodice is higher, I like the collar, and the veil isn't so limp.
CountessMeOut
Banned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

Just another person wanting 15 minutes of fame. Lace is not that uncommon on dresses, just rare in the past few years as people have been going for the strapless look. I don't like the whole shirt collar thing the woman has going at all, and while I wish Kate had gone for a more cathedral veil, the big puffy veil on this bride is not my choice either.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:04:41 PM by CountessMeOut » Logged
enelya

Medium Member

Canada Canada

Izzy's Channelling Her Inner Rockstar

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: May 05, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

Just another person wanting 15 minutes of fame. Lace is not that uncommon on dresses, just rare in the past few years as people have been going for the strapless look. I don't like the whole shirt collar thing the woman has going at all, and while I wish Kate had gone for a more cathedral veil, the big puffy eighties veil on this bride is dated and not my choice either.

Eighties veil? The dress was from 1959 or am I reading the wrong link again?  Laughing
Hermione

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »

Thanks Idun for the article of the shoes  Star
Royal Me!

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »

Catherine's train was stitched smartly to fan out and not look slack.
Most trains are tucked or pleated at the waist ..... a lot more fabric involved.
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »

Alexander McQueen’s Royal-Wedding-Dress Team Was Told the Gown Was for a Movie

The staff at Alexander McQueen vehemently denied that they were designing Kate Middleton's wedding dress — and turns out not all of them may have known that's what they were working on. According to Us Weekly, the lace-makers were told that Kate's lace was actually for a dress for a British period costume drama. McQueen seamstresses were also told that they were doing a dress for a film, and when Sarah Burton went to Buckingham Palace to assemble the dress, she worked with helpers who had all signed secrecy agreements. Another fascinating detail: They reportedly sewed a blue ribbon into the lining of the dress so Kate would have something blue. Silly gooses! She already had Diana's sapphire engagement ring. Hear more in the video.

http://nymag.com/daily/fa...mcqueens_royal_weddi.html

hanzo1

Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »

of all the Grace Kelly style dress I think this pattern is the best better than Grace's

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »

Over the past week, seeing it plastered everywhere, the dress has really grown on me. I'd love to see the detail in the lace with the thistles and roses and shamrocks and such.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: