Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dress  (Read 45714 times)
Leesa
Banned
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

"Mary who?" asks Marsha!

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »

I like the embroidery on the dress, but that's about it for me.
zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »

I loved her dress, just simple, natural, she and William seem to be in love!

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
shoshanah

Humongous Member

New Zealand New Zealand

getting ready for a date with Shosh

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2011, 03:29:12 AM »

http://shop.nordstrom.com...category&resultback=0

Ugh, hate that shiny fabric!  Liked how pretty the lace was on kate's dress. 

Astrid

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »

Alexander McQueen’s Royal-Wedding-Dress Team Was Told the Gown Was for a Movie

The staff at Alexander McQueen vehemently denied that they were designing Kate Middleton's wedding dress — and turns out not all of them may have known that's what they were working on. According to Us Weekly, the lace-makers were told that Kate's lace was actually for a dress for a British period costume drama. McQueen seamstresses were also told that they were doing a dress for a film, and when Sarah Burton went to Buckingham Palace to assemble the dress, she worked with helpers who had all signed secrecy agreements. Another fascinating detail: They reportedly sewed a blue ribbon into the lining of the dress so Kate would have something blue. Silly gooses! She already had Diana's sapphire engagement ring. Hear more in the video.
http://nymag.com/daily/fa...mcqueens_royal_weddi.html

Highly unlikely that seamstresses of a top couture house would actually believe that a fabric and lace of such richeness would be used for a film... Especially considering that they knew of the upcoming wedding.
CountessMeOut
Banned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

Over the past week, seeing it plastered everywhere, the dress has really grown on me. I'd love to see the detail in the lace with the thistles and roses and shamrocks and such.

The boudice I hadn't realized at first, I thought it was a lace overlay, like the sleeves, I thought it was one piece. I didn't realize it was appliques hand done on it, until I read that it was the something old. A traditional Irish technique of using lace, and all of that is hand stitched. Amazing the kind of time and skill that went into that.
Jazzy

Humongous Member

All that glitters...

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

Loved the dress because of it's simplicity. I was never a fun of Diana's huge dress and puffy sleeves... But she should have worn a better bra. She looks like she borrowed Madonna's cone bra

CountessMeOut
Banned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

Loved the dress because of it's simplicity. I was never a fun of Diana's huge dress and puffy sleeves... But she should have worn a better bra. She looks like she borrowed Madonna's cone bra

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it had more to do with her losing too much weight and it not fitting properly in that area, and not about the bra.
jusaca

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »

It's nothing like it.  Silly twat.
pocahontas

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: May 07, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »

I like the embroidery on the dress, but that's about it for me.

Yup. While the dress design is blah to me, I can appreciate the craftmanship that went into it.
The lace pattern on the left and right sides of the bodice are perfect mirror images of each other. That takes a lot of precision.
I like how the bodice is so well-fitted, it hugs her without looking tight. I also like the multi-layered train so the detachable train looks like it's part of the skirt instead of looking like a tail. I've never seen that before. And there's a huge amount of embroidery on the train that looks entirely aligned across the layers and skirt.

This is a very well-made dress - except for the breast cones.

But when I look at pictures of other royal wedding dresses - Margaret's, Grace's, Anne's, Diana's, Francesca of Hapsburg's - Kate's dress simply doesn't have "wow", originality, or royal quality. Pictures of her in the dress don't jump off the page.
Even dresses I'm not particularly fond of had something more than Kate's: Letizia's and Maxima's both had a "luxe" quality you'd expect from a royal dress, and Mary's had an original design though it was very poorly executed.
Leesa
Banned
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

"Mary who?" asks Marsha!

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: May 07, 2011, 05:28:15 AM »

Star for you, pocahontas, for a great post!
Leesa
Banned
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

"Mary who?" asks Marsha!

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2011, 05:30:57 AM »

I was never a fan of DI's dress either. But now I love it dearly. She looked every inch a princess, and that's what I was hoping for. It may have been a cream puff, but boy did she look grand in all those decorations, beads and pearls. GOod on ya, Diana!
shastadaisy

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: May 07, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »

I thought Kate's dress went very well with the Abbey and the "look" of the wedding.  I loved the lace sleeves and the way the hips flared out ever so slightly.

It actually reminded me of the wedding dress of the current Queen more than Grace Kellys.  I think Grace's dress is a little overrated....she could have worn a bathrobe and it would have looked stunning on her.
pocahontas

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: May 07, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »

I was never a fan of DI's dress either. But now I love it dearly. She looked every inch a princess, and that's what I was hoping for. It may have been a cream puff, but boy did she look grand in all those decorations, beads and pearls. GOod on ya, Diana!

The magazine stands are now full of issues commemorating Will&Kate's wedding. Usually I like collecting such things, but I'm debating buying one for this royal wedding. I look at the pictures and W&K simply don't sparkle amidst the pageantry surrounding them. Now if there was an issue for C&D's wedding, I would snap it up.

Charles wasn't a handsome groom (Will cuts a more dashing figure), but Diana simply sparkled and matched the grandness of the surroundings and the occasion. Yeah, her dress was a cream puff. It could've had a better fitting bodice and scaled down sleeves. But looking at the photos now, her dress matched the grandness of St. Paul's. In photos of her in the carriage, she filled the carriage in luxurious silk. And in all the photos, she sparkled. Literally. There were seed pearls sewn into the lace of her dress and sprinkled around her veil like pixie dust. She looked like a princess.

OT, just wanted to say I loved W&K's wedding cake. Probably my favorite royal wedding cake. Original design, beautifully decorated, and very elegant.
CountessMeOut
Banned
Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »

Yup. While the dress design is blah to me, I can appreciate the craftmanship that went into it.
The lace pattern on the left and right sides of the bodice are perfect mirror images of each other. That takes a lot of precision.
I like how the bodice is so well-fitted, it hugs her without looking tight. I also like the multi-layered train so the detachable train looks like it's part of the skirt instead of looking like a tail. I've never seen that before. And there's a huge amount of embroidery on the train that looks entirely aligned across the layers and skirt.

This is a very well-made dress - except for the breast cones.

[/quote]
ITA, the craftsmanship and skill that went into the gown was incredible. It was all hand done, which makes it even more amazing, couture even if not over the top. She was going for timeless more than a show stopper, and she succeeded. Show stoppers might sell magazines, but are dated, like Diana's, too easily.

And I agree on the cake as well, you mentioned below. Hoping for a bit more color, but was still beautiful. Flowers Curtsey Connie
Marianne
Banned
Small Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »

Congrats Astrid  Champagne
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: