Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JULIAN ASSANGE  (Read 39960 times)
Diana Again
Banned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

Julian Assange is telling of Dirty Deeds Done Real Cheap. 

Hands up those who don't like the idea.

Hands up those who want Julian Assange silenced?

Wikileaks Is Already Costing Bank Of America
Jan. 3 2011 - 10:35 am
By NATHAN VARDI

Consultants and lawyers may become big fans of Julian Assange. Whatever one thinks of the threat he made to FORBES in November, the one about a major American bank having its most damaging secrets exposed on Wikileaks.org, Bank of America is taking Assange seriously.

According to the New York Times, Bank of America has hired consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton and spoken to several law firms in preparation of a potential Wikileaks disclosure. Bruce Thompson, Bank of America’s chief risk officer, is reportedly heading a team of as many as 20 bank officials who are conducting an internal investigation of thousands of the bank’s documents and hunting for missing computers.
So Bank of America is already spending time and money because of Assange even though it is not completely clear whether Assange is targeting Bank of America or some other bank. The speculation has centered on Bank of America because Assange mentioned it as a potential target to ComputerWorld in 2009. The bank’s stock appears to have suffered a bit from the recent speculation.

For the lawyers and consultants, there is nothing as sweet as an internal investigation of a major corporation. In the past, only the government could really gin up such fee-producing work, but Assange apparently also has that kind of power.

How much money can an internal investigation really cost? Don’t underestimate professionals who bill every six minutes. The U.S. government has in recent years, for example, induced corporations to conduct highly expensive internal investigation to comply with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. In the biggest such investigation, law firm Debevoise & Plimpton and consulting/accounting firm Deloitte & Touche charged German engineering giant Siemens $850 million in fees and expenses. Debevoise deployed 100 lawyers and 110 support staff who billed 582,000 hours, while Deloitte put 1,300 staff members on the job, who worked 949,000 hours searching 40 million bank documents and reviewing 127 million accounting records.

The current Bank of America internal investigation will not reach that kind of magnitude, but that doesn’t mean Assange is not about to provide a rich new business for the legal and consulting businesses that will be hired to deal with his threat to spill corporate secrets.
Diana Again
Banned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: January 04, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »

KILL WIKILEAKS, KILL JULIAN ASSANGE, KILL WHALES - such is condoned by the US Government.

Australia, Japan in secret talks on whaling deal

The Federal Government is refusing to confirm or deny reports that Australian officials were willing to cut a compromise deal with Japan over whaling.

Fairfax newspapers say documents obtained by WikiLeaks show then-environment minister Peter Garrett's former chief of staff, David Williams, told the US Australia could accept a deal.

The agreement would have overturned the ban on commercial whaling, in return for Japan reducing its so-called scientific research program.

At the time Mr Garrett publicly rejected the idea of a deal with Japan.

The deal had the backing of New Zealand and the US in the lead-up to International Whaling Commission talks in the middle of last year.

The documents also show Mr Garrett believed he was more committed to ending whaling than the Australian Government officials who were negotiating with Japan.

Frontbencher Brendan O'Connor says the Government is committed to ending whaling but it will not comment on the content of WikiLeaks cables.

"We believe it is improper to be commenting politically on leaked documents from the United States," he said.

"But what I can say with respect to whaling is that this Government opposes whaling activity and whaling and for that reason we have been strenuously opposing the whaling activity in our waters."

Mr Garrett's office has been contacted for comment.

The latest US diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks also show Japanese and US officials discussed ways of reining in the militant anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd.

Sea Shepherd has been successful in hampering Japanese whalers during the annual Antarctic hunt.

The cables reveal the US envoy to the International Whaling Commission, Monica Medina, held talks with the head of Japan's fisheries agency, Katsuhiro Machida, in late 2009.

The two sides discussed the possibility of revoking the tax-exempt status of the US-based Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

In the cables sent from the US embassy in Tokyo, the Japanese were said to have appreciated the American idea to remove the group's tax exemption.

The documents reveal Ms Medina believed the US government could demonstrate the group did not deserve tax-exempt status based on its aggressive and harmful actions.

Sea Shepherd has labelled any possible deal between Japan and Australia as "hypocritical".

Sea Shepherd's Paul Watson doubts the deal would have happened and says it is just government posturing.

"These governments play games with each other all the time, they say things they don't mean, they make deals that they don't honour," he said.

"There's no honour amongst thieves and politicians are the biggest thieves of the lot."

Opposition environment spokesman Greg Hunt says the Government's position on whaling has been exposed as a sham.

"The Labor Government was saying one thing to the Australian people and another thing behind the scenes," he said.

This week the body that runs Japan's scientific whaling program called on Australia to restrain Sea Shepherd activists harassing its fleet in the Antarctic ocean.

The two sides have clashed for the first time during this season's Antarctic hunt.

Sea Shepherd says the whaling ships used water cannons on their inflatable boats during high-speed chases.

But the whalers have accused the group of dangerous and violent tactics, calling on Australia and the Netherlands to take criminal action against the activists.

Diana Again
Banned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: January 04, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

OMG - this is so so so so so so surreal - i had no idea - but yet here it is - Hitler vs Julian Assange, it would be so so so so sad if it wasnt so funny, but maybe its so so so so funny that it actually is very sad.  You can make up your own minds.

And while you watch the clip, keep the follwoing in mind:

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is".

Winston Churchill

http://www.youtube.com/wa...v2EvY&feature=related

its AbsolutelyBloody Priceless Stuff

http://www.youtube.com/wa...iBxH0&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:06:29 PM by Diana Again » Logged
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

Julian Assange is telling of Dirty Deeds Done Real Cheap. 

Hands up those who don't like the idea.

Hands up those who want Julian Assange silenced?

DA Wikileaks is a whole organisation - equating Wikileaks with Julian Assange is quite cultish IMO. Wikileaks have damped down their ties with Assange, for various reasons including some concerns about Assange & their finances. I don't think that can be laid at the door of organisational or political conspiracies ... if Wikileaks itself is expressing concern ...
Diana Again
Banned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »

It makes me so glad to see & hear that there are more intelligent & enlightened people in this world other than Julian Assange.

Which 12 year old child would not make sense of the following parody:

http://www.youtube.com/wa...bG3r4&feature=related
Diana Again
Banned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »

Australia discussed secret whale deal, WikiLeaks cables claim From: AAP January 04, 2011 5:27AM

AUSTRALIA discussed cutting a secret deal with Japan to accept a continued whale hunt as it publicly moved to bring Tokyo before an international court, the latest WikiLeaks cables reveal.
US diplomatic cables obtained by WikiLeaks show that as late as February last year, Australia was willing to compromise with Japan, but the deal had to result in a much lower level of whaling and exclude the hunt from waters near Antarctica, Fairfax newspapers report.

A compromise was discussed that would see Japan kill 5000 fewer whales over 10 years and larger varieties such as humpbacks not be taken.

The cables also show former environment minister Peter Garrett warned the US ambassador in Canberra on February 5 last year Labor felt boxed in by moves by the Greens in parliament to examine Japanese spy flights over anti-whaling ships.

Mr Garrett said the flights had strengthened the anti-whaling mood in Australia and made it difficult for the government to compromise with Japan.

Two weeks later, then prime minister Kevin Rudd publicly called for an end to the hunt.

At the same time, Australian diplomats were urging politicians to strike a deal.

In January last year, Paula Watt, of the marine environment section of the Foreign Affairs Department, told the US that Japan was using tough tactics in the negotiations, but for any deal to be acceptable to Australia, it must include a minimum number of whales saved, suggesting 5000 over ten years, Fairfax reports.

But in later cables she said efforts to strike a deal had "bounced off" Mr Garrett and his staff.

The revelations come as the federal government is under pressure from the coalition and Australian Greens to stop Japan's whale hunt in the Southern Ocean.

Both the opposition and the Greens also want the government to take a watchdog role following clashes between anti-whaling protesters and the Japanese whaling fleet at the weekend
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:57:27 PM by Diana Again » Logged
danishorphan

Warned
Gigantic Member

Papua New Guinea Papua New Guinea

Lives to fill her hollow leg!

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: January 04, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »

it happened silently and softly with the help of IBM>

Since November 1910, a Hollerith subsidiary existed in Germany, the DEHOMAG (Deutsche Hollerith-Maschinen GmbH), founded as a license holder from the Tabulating Machine Company. In 1922, the renamed CTR took over 90% of DEHOMAG,  which was in license debt due to the German inflation 1914-1923. In 1949 DEHOMAG finally took the name IBM Germany. In 2001, author Edwin Black released evidence contending that IBM played an integral administrative part in the systematic genocide of the European Jewish community from 1939 to 1944,[11] leasing punched card equipment and support services to the Third Reich.[12] These "Hollerith machines"[13] were allegedly sold and operated by the company’s subsidiary, Deutsche Hollerith Maschinen GmbH (Dehomag).[14]

IBM responded that it had no control over its subsidiaries after the Nazis took control of them[15] and has released any documents that existed on the subject from company archives to assist research and historical scholarship.[16]

if you believe the last sentence, well, you will believe anything. of course IBM is going to deny any bad doing!!!!!

The truth will eventually be revealed!
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »

Well then thank god for Julian Assange, because thru Wikileaks the truth will always be exposed irrespective of race, nation, creed, individual, politician, corporate god, or any other animal. 
In at least 3 previous posts i posed the yet unanswered question:
WHY DID 6,000,000 Jews die at the hands of one governemnt represented by one man who was loved by millions? yes, the sound of silence was deafening.
Julian Assange is 1 man who would have spoken out and published the event, just as he has published the facts about the systematic murder of over 1,000,000 million Iraqis by the US government and associated forces. Humanity cannot have it both ways - remain silent and expect justice and truth to prevail.

It doesn't matter at all if he had acted. Julian Assange wasn't alive in the 1940's, it's easy to say that he would have done something, well, I think everyone says that they would have. We do however know that his followers are writing articles which are aggressivly full of anti-semitism. So what does it teach us? That jews are only worth protecting when they've been dead for 70 years  Blink That living jews can be attacked and accused for the same things that caused riots and progroms on jews only 100 years ago? The Bonniers are jews, living in a country where anti-semitism is constantly reaching new records. But they're useless unless they've become martyrs? Because it's not until then everyone can sit and say how brave they would have been if they only had the opportunity to do something to prevent it. Well, I think there are plenty of such opportunities.

It wasn't the lack of information that didn't stop the Holocaust, it's a well-known fact that the allied knew early on, and did nothing, but chose to bomb German cities instead. I feel the sadness when reading about the bombings of German civilians, as I do when I read about the jewish victims. Ubi est mors victoria tua, is the only thing to say Sad

Silver  Banana  Star am I glad to see you. It's nice too see that I'm not alone defending the jewish people  Hug
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:46:55 PM by Idun » Logged
Silver

Small Member

Australia Australia

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

Star Idun. I'm perfectly happy for people to theorise about the persecution of Julian Assange but this whole "Jews are the root of all evil" is old and offensive. It's blatant anti-Semitism and not how an accepting, multi-cultural, mature and democratic society should operate. I'm quite happy for people to speak out if a Jew does something wrong but they shouldn't think that they've done something wrong just because they're a Jew.

Well then thank god for Julian Assange, because thru Wikileaks the truth will always be exposed irrespective of race, nation, creed, individual, politician, corporate god, or any other animal.  

In at least 3 previous posts i posed the yet unanswered question:

WHY DID 6,000,000 Jews die at the hands of one governemnt represented by one man who was loved by millions?

yes, the sound of silence was deafening.

Julian Assange is 1 man who would have spoken out and published the event, just as he has published the facts about the systematic murder of over 1,000,000 million Iraqis by the US government and associated forces.

Humanity cannot have it both ways - remain silent and expect justice and truth to prevail.

I respect the message but I don't fully understand why I seem to be getting all the special attention here. Oh well, at least I feel special in a perverse way. Cute Anyway, who said I favored gagging WikiLeaks forever (implied by the comment about silence)? I never said that. I don't think WikiLeaks should be shut down. Like I said, I respect the cause of WikiLeaks. I respect the values it is trying to protect and in some cases, obtain. But should I consider Julian Assange a god capable of doing no wrong because of his association with WikiLeaks? I don't think so. Even Jesus wasn't perfect. Maybe it's just me but all this extremity of opinion (both positive and negative) creeps me out. Crap

Grand Duchess of Gossip, Baroness of the Bi*ch, Marquesa of Malice, Princess of Passion, Terrorist of Love
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »

I don't think anyone can call the deaths of Iraqi citizens "systematic murder". While the US Government has blood on its hands, it has NOT set out to exterminate a race. Devaluing the crimes of the Nazis by this sort of comparison is not useful in the context of any debate about anything...

I think Assange is a charismatic egomaniac, quite possibly amoral and a thief, and he fails to weigh up the implications of many of his actions. He is something of an anarchist, and lacks reasoning abilities and training. I suspect his vision would be broader and more reasoned if he had had more of a rounded education.

I'm pleased about the fact that much of the material has been leaked - by the organisation Wikileaks, but that doesn't translate to wholesale approval of either Assange the man or his actions and overall take on life...  
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:48 AM »

8 Smears and Misconceptions About WikiLeaks Spread By the Media

By Julianne Escobedo Shepherd and Tana Ganeva, AlterNet Posted on December 31, 2010, Printed on December 31, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/149369/

The corporate media's tendency to blare misinformation and outright fabrications has been particularly egregious in coverage of WikiLeaks. As Glenn Greenwald <http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/28/cnnn/index.html>  has argued, mainstream news outlets are parroting smears and falsehoods about the whistleblower site and its founder Julian Assange, helping to perpetuate a number of "zombie lies" -- misconceptions that refuse to die no matter how much they conflict with known reality, basic logic and well-publicized information.

Here are the bogus narratives that keep appearing in newspapers and on the airwaves.

1. Fearmongering that WikiLeaks revelations will result in deaths. So far there's no evidence that WikiLeaks' revelations have cost lives. In fact, right before the cables were released, Pentagon officials admitted <http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/11/28/104404/officials-may-be-overstating-the.html>  there were no documented instances of people being killed because of information exposed by WikiLeaks' previous document releases (and unlike the diplomatic cables, the Afghanistan files were unredacted).

That's not to say that the exposure of secret government files can't somehow lead to someone, somewhere, someday, being hurt. But that's a pretty high bar to set, especially by a government engaged in multiple military operations -- many of them secret -- that lead to untold civilian casualties.

2. Spreading the lie that WikiLeaks posted all the cables. WikiLeaks has posted fewer than 2,000 of the 251,287 cables in its possession. The whistleblower released those documents in tandem with major news outlets including the Guardian, El Pais and Le Monde, and used most of the redactions employed by those papers to protect the identities of people whose lives could be endangered by exposure. The AP detailed this process in a December 3 article <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i0Vruimmvy8loGklsz34QyGDKMDA?docId=120c7bf5d3a34dbaadf1280dace2e456> , but this did not stop officials and pundits from howling that WikiLeaks "indiscriminately" dumped all the cables online. Much of the media mindlessly repeated the claim.

Greenwald and others have battled to kill the myth that the whistleblower site threw up all the cables without taking any precautions to protect people, but it keeps coming up. Just this week NPR issued an apology <http://www.npr.org/2010/12/28/132416904/how-many-documents-has-wikileaks-published>  for all the times contributors and guests have implied or outright voiced the falsehood that WikiLeaks blindly posted all the cables at once.

3. Falsely claiming that Assange has committed a crime regarding WikiLeaks. The State Department is working really hard to pin a crime on Julian Assange. The problem is that so far he doesn't appear to have broken any laws <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40554656/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/> . Assange is not a U.S. citizen, he does not work for the U.S. government, and the documents WikiLeaks posted were procured by someone else. As Greenwald has repeatedly pointed out, it's not against the law to publish classified U.S. government information. If it were, hundreds of journalists would be in prison right now.

While the government tries to conjure up a legal justification for prosecuting Assange, the media is helping out by fanning the narrative that he's some criminal mastermind. Major outlets continue to host guests who accuse Assange of criminal behavior without quite specifying what his crime is. In a much derided CNN debate <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/28/cnn-yellin-glenn-greenwald-wikileaks_n_802067.html> between Bush Homeland Security adviser Fran Townsend and Glenn Greenwald hosted by Jessica Yellin, Greenwald had to repeatedly bat away the assertion that Assange has "profited" from "criminal" acts.

The effort to tar Assange as a criminal -- spearheaded by government officials and helped along by the media -- may have a chilling effect on future whistleblowers.

4. Denying that WikiLeaks is a journalistic enterprise. Public officials and pundits continue to claim that WikiLeaks is not a journalistic outlet, even though it procured the scoop of a decade. But much of what WikiLeaks does is identical to the activities of other news sources. WikiLeaks receives secrets from anonymous sources, which it then reveals to the public -- news is nothing if not a checks and balances system for the government, a fundamental right of a free press. Secondly, it curates those secrets before revealing them -- a journalist selecting relevant and appropriate material from a confidential document is not that different from WikiLeaks redacting certain parts of the cables.

Because WikiLeaks’ actions fall under the First Amendment, all journalists should be outraged if the American government attempts to prosecute. If WikiLeaks is prosecuted for conducting a journalistic enterprise, what rights will be stripped from journalists in the future? One of the most respected journalistic institutions in the world, the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, is speaking out. Earlier this month, 20 faculty members drafted and signed a letter <http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/110885/columbia-j-school-staff-wikileaks-prosecution-sets-dangerous-precedent/>  to President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder saying that WikiLeaks' prosecution will set a “dangerous precedent for reporters in any publication or medium, potentially chilling investigative journalism and other First Amendment-protected activity ... Prosecution in the Wikileaks case would greatly damage American standing in free-press debates worldwide and would dishearten those journalists looking to this nation for inspiration.”

The Walkley Foundation <http://www.walkleys.com/news/1076/> , an institution of journalism in Assange’s home of Australia, put it more succinctly in its own letter of support for WikiLeaks: “To aggressively attempt to shut WikiLeaks down, to threaten to prosecute those who publish official leaks, and to pressure companies to cease doing commercial business with WikiLeaks, is a serious threat to democracy, which relies on a free and fearless press.”

5. Denying a link between Ellsberg's Pentagon Papers and WikiLeaks, despite Ellsberg's support of the site. In 1969, Daniel Ellsberg secretly photocopied classified documents that proved the Johnson administration had lied to the American public about the chances of winning the Vietnam War, which it knew from the beginning were slim to none. By 1970, Ellsberg had become disillusioned with the desperate situation and began circulating the documents, first to U.S. senators, then to the New York Times, which reported the contents in a groundbreaking series of articles that set in motion the end to the war...and the Nixon administration. By doing so, he helped end an unjust war carried out in the name of the American people. His actions are widely heralded.

In a parallel scenario, WikiLeaks is acting the part of the Times and other outlets that reported the Pentagon Papers -- releasing information of secret, and in many cases, unjust actions carried out in the name of the American people without our knowledge. Alleged leaker Bradley Manning is the Ellsberg in this situation; similarly, if chats between himself and Adrian Lamo printed in Wired <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/30/wikileaks-bradley-manning-julian-assange>  are true, he unleashed the cables out of an overwhelming sense of justice, saying, "I want people to see the truth regardless of who they are because without information, you cannot make informed decisions as a public."

Earlier this month, Ellsberg appeared on the Colbert Report <http://www.ellsberg.net/archive/daniel-ellsberg-on-colbert-report> and praised Manning. “If Bradley Manning did what he's accused of, then he's a hero of mine and I think he did a great service to this country,” said Ellsberg. “We're not in the mess we're in, in the world, because of too many leaks....I say there should be some secrets. But I also say we invaded Iraq illegally because of a lack of a Bradley Manning at that time.”

6. Accusing Assange of profiting from WikiLeaks. Newspapers this week led with reports that Assange has signed a lucrative book deal, information that inspired mainstream outlets like CNN to mock Assange for "profiting" from the cables despite his anti-corporate ideology. In the CNN interview mentioned above, Jessica Yellin asked Glenn Greenwald if he had "Any qualms about the fact that he is essentially profiting from classified information." Greenwald pointed out that Assange is hardly profiting from the leaked materials, but rather trying to make a dent in the legal fees he's accruing as governments around the world go after him. Greenwald also pointed out that trying to make money from journalism is pretty routine in the profession. Bob Woodward, for example, has written multiple books based on classified documents.

7. Calling Assange a terrorist. Last week Vice-President Joe Biden, part of an administration that's overseen the escalation of the disastrous war in Afghanistan, joined Mitch McConnell and Sarah Palin in calling <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/19/assange-high-tech-terrorist-biden> Assange a "terrorist."

As far as we know, Assange's leaks haven't killed anyone. Nor has he threatened to perpetrate violence to promote a political agenda, the definition of terrorism. Nevertheless public officials continue to try to link Assange to terrorism in the public consciousness.

8. Minimizing the significance of the cables. Even though only a tiny fraction of the cables have been released, many critics promote the idea that they reveal "nothing new" and are therefore of no value. But even the cables released so far have contained important revelations about the U.S. and its allies.

Here are just a few of the stories revealed by the documents:

-- U.S. special forces working inside Pakistan <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/30/wikileaks-cables-us-forces-embedded-pakistan>

-- UK agreed to shield U.S. interests in Iraq probe <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101201/ts_nm/us_wikileaks_britain_usa>

-- Secret bombings of Yemen <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11918037>

-- State Department role in the Honduran coup <http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/29-9>

-- U.S. pressured Spain to drop Bush torture probe <http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/12/wikileaks-cable-obama-quashed-torture-investigation>

-- U.S. sought to retaliate against Europe over refusing to allow Monsanto GM crops <http://www.alternet.org/food/149348/wikileaks_cables_reveal_u.s._sought_to_retaliate_against_europe_over_refusing_to_allow_monsanto_gm_crops>

-- Drug Enforcement Agency goes global, beyond drugs <http://www.alternet.org/drugs/149326/wikileaks_cables%3A_drug_enforcement_agency_goes_global,_beyond_drugs>

-- Shell's grip on the Nigerian state <http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying>

The promise that the next release will target a U.S. bank, and that it will have an effect similar to the Enron disclosures, according to Assange, certainly portends that the trove of information we haven’t yet seen could be explosive. And that is incredibly valuable to the American public.

Julianne Escobedo Shepherd is an associate editor at AlterNet and a Brooklyn-based freelance writer and editor. Formerly the executive editor of The FADER, her work has appeared in VIBE, SPIN, New York Times and various other magazines and websites. Tana Ganeva is an AlterNet editor. Follow her on Twitter. <http://twitter.com/tanaganeva>  You can email her at tanaalternet@gmail.com.

© 2010 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/149369/

[w1]

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »

A WikiLeaks release of U.S. diplomatic cables has revealed that the Bush administration planned ways to retaliate against Europe for its refusal to use genetically modified seeds.

According to Democracy Now:

"In 2007, then-U.S. ambassador to France Craig Stapleton was concerned about France's decision to ban cultivation of genetically modified corn produced by biotech giant Monsanto. He also warned that a new French environmental review standard could spread anti-biotech policy across Europe ...

In the leaked cable, Stapleton writes, quote, '... Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voice.'"

Stapleton recommended retaliations that would cause "some pain" across the EU. Folks, this is pretty much conclusive proof that the U.S. government is working towards Monsanto's pro-GM goals.

(For video transcript, see Democracy Now link below.)

Sources:

<http://articles.mercola.com/themes/mercola/images/bullet.gif>   Democracy Now December 23, 2010 <http://www.democracynow.org/2010/12/23/wikileaks_cables_reveal_us_sought_to> 

<http://articles.mercola.com/themes/mercola/images/bullet.gif>   Guardian.co.uk January 3, 2010 <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/03/wikileaks-us-eu-gm-crops?> 

<http://articles.mercola.com/themes/mercola/images/bullet.gif>   AlterNet.org January 3, 2010 <http://www.alternet.org/world/149393/wikileaks%27_most_terrifying_revelation:_just_how_much_our_government_lies_to_us/?page=entire> 

Dr. Mercola's Comments:
Follow me on twitter <http://twitter.com/mercola>  Follow me on facebook <http://www.facebook.com/doctor.health> 

Monsanto has a long and sordid history of manipulation and questionable business practices, so this latest development doesn't really surprise me. It's quite clear that the US government has been aiding and abetting Monsanto's quest to control the world's food crops, and as Jeffrey Smith <http://www.responsibletechnology.org/>  says in the Democracy Now interview above, these leaked documents "lays bare the mechanics of that effort."

According to U.S. diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks, the Bush administration conspired to find ways to retaliate against Europe for refusing to use genetically modified (GM) seeds, mainly by engaging in aggresive trade wars against reluctant nations.

Wikileaks Reveals Plan to Retaliate Against Europe for Non-GMO Stance

In a leaked cable from 2007, Craig Stapleton, who was the U.S. ambassador to France at the time, comments on France's decision to ban cultivation of genetically modified (GM) corn:

"Europe is moving backwards not forwards on this issue with France playing a leading role, along with Austria, Italy and even the [European] Commission... Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voice.

... Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits.

The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory."

WikiLeaks also released a cable from 2009; this one from the US ambassador to Spain, asking the US government to help formulate a strategy to support the members of the Spanish government interested in promoting GMOs.

According to Smith, the information specifically indicates that they'd been briefed by the director of Monsanto for the region, and that strategies to promote the GMO agenda were created during that meeting.

The Guardian reports <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/03/wikileaks-us-eu-gm-crops?> that,"[T]he cables show US diplomats working directly for GM companies such as Monsanto.

"In response to recent urgent requests by [Spanish rural affairs ministry] state secretary Josep Puxeu and Monsanto, post requests renewed US government support of Spain's science-based agricultural biotechnology position through high-level US government intervention."

It also emerges that Spain and the US have worked closely together to persuade the EU not to strengthen biotechnology laws. In one cable, the embassy in Madrid writes: "If Spain falls, the rest of Europe will follow."

The cables show that not only did the Spanish government ask the US to keep pressure on Brussels but that the US knew in advance how Spain would vote <http://213.251.145.96/cable/2009/10/09MADRID1013.html> , even before the Spanish biotech commission had reported."

The Guardian  <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/03/wikileaks-us-eu-gm-crops?> also mentions leaked cables from the US embassy in the Vatican, quoting a cable from 2008:

"Opportunities exist to press the issue with the Vatican, and in turn to influence a wide segment of the population in Europe and the developing world."

The Guardian also reports that,

"n a setback, the US embassy found that its closest ally on GM, Cardinal Renato Martino, head of the powerful Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and the man who mostly represents the pope at the United Nations, had withdrawn his support for the US.

"A Martino deputy told us recently that the cardinal had co-operated with embassy Vatican on biotech over the past two years in part to compensate for his vocal disapproval of the Iraq war and its aftermath – to keep relations with the USG [US government] smooth. According to our source, Martino no longer feels the need to take this approach," says the cable."

Fred Branfman, writing for AlterNet <http://www.alternet.org/world/149393/wikileaks%27_most_terrifying_revelation:_just_how_much_our_government_lies_to_us/?page=entire> sums it up when he says that the most terrifying revelation of Wikileaks is just how much our government lies to us, referring to our government and military as a "vast lying machine that perpetuates mass murder in our name."

This is true in the case of manipulating and forcing countries to implement the Monsanto agenda as well. In fact, I've often stated that genetically modified foods is a major threat to the very existence of human life on this planet <http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/06/major-threat-to-human-fertility-and-very-existence-of-human-life-on-earth.aspx> .

Genetically Modified Corn High on the Agenda

One of the genetically modified (GM) products of particular interest appears to have been Monsanto's first GM corn, known as MON 810. This was the first genetically modified seed to be approved for widespread planting.

Today, GM corn currently represents over 90 percent of all corn acreage in the US.

Europe, however, has been slow to accept this and other GM crops. The European Commission has given GM crops its stamp of approval, but the food industry has remained resistant as European consumers were, and still are, concerned about potential ill effects.

Some European countries have even decided to ban GM crops within their own borders regardless of the EU Commission's approval.

The Health Hazards of GM Corn

There's very convincing evidence that genetically modified foods spell nothing but trouble for your health. As Smith discusses in his interview, scientists have discovered a number of health problems related to genetically modified foods in general, and GM corn in particular.

However, these studies have been repeatedly ignored by both the European Food Safety Authority and the US FDA...

Monsanto's GM corn is genetically engineered to ward off rootworm by producing its own pesticide, a toxin called Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt toxin).

In a 2005 article, Jeffrey Smith describes the findings from animal studies <http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/Newsletter/June05GMCornHealthDangerExposed/index.cfm> , in which rats developed a number of significant reactions when fed Bt corn, including:

*   Increased basophils, which is a typical indication of allergies
   *   Increased lymphocytes and white blood cells, which is an indication of a response to infections, toxins and various diseases including cancer
   *   Anemia
   *   Blood pressure problems
   *   Increased blood sugar levels
   *   Kidney inflammation
   *   Liver and kidney lesions, and other changes

In Germany and the Philippines, GM corn has also been blamed for the deaths of buffaloes, cows, horses, and poultry.

Damaging Research Remains Ignored

One researcher deserving of particular mention here is Dr. Arpad Pusztai, a biologist with more than 300 articles and 12 books to his credit and considered the world's top expert in his field.

In the early 1990's, he worked on a $3 million grant from the U.K. government, with a mission to design the system for safety testing of GMOs. But when he accidentally discovered that genetically modified (GM) foods are inherently unsafe, he quickly became the industry's bad-boy poster child, setting an example for other scientists thinking about blowing the whistle.

The results of Pusztai's work were supposed to become the required testing protocols for all of Europe. But when he fed supposedly harmless GM potatoes to rats, he made a shocking discovery.

Within just 10 days, the animals developed:

*   Potentially pre-cancerous cell growth
   *   Smaller brains, livers, and testicles
   *   Partially atrophied livers
   *   Damaged immune systems

Moreover, the cause was almost certainly caused by side effects from the process of genetic engineering itself, not from the added material.

Jeffrey Smith explains:

"[H]e was testing with rats that were eating the genetically modified potato, engineered to produce an insecticidal protein. But he also tested other groups of rats that were eating natural potatoes that were spiked with that same protein, and then a third group that was just eating natural potatoes without the insecticide.

Only the group that ate the genetically engineered potato got these problems, not the group that was eating the potatoes along with the insecticide. So it clearly wasn't the insecticide; it was somehow the process of genetic engineering.

That process creates massive collateral damage inside the DNA of the plant. Hundreds and thousands of mutations can be formed. There could be hundreds or thousands of genes that are natural genes in the plant that change their levels of expression.

For example, with MON 810 corn, they found there's a gene that is normally silent that is switched on and now creates an allergen in corn.

They found 43 different genes that were significantly up-regulated or down-regulated, meaning that there are massive changes in these crops, and they're not being evaluated by the U.S.—by the FDA or any other regulatory authority around the world, before being put onto the market."

It's quite feasible that the GM foods on the market—which are created from the same process—might have similar affects on humans, yet all our regulatory agencies are turning a blind eye!

Worse yet, researchers have been actively silenced to hide this information.

Dr. Pusztai, for example, was interviewed on TV and became a hero at his institute -- for two days.

Then, following phone calls from the pro-GMO prime minister's office, he was fired from his post and further silenced with threats of a lawsuit. His team was dismantled, and the protocols he developed were never implemented.

Eventually, an invitation to speak before Parliament lifted his gag order and his research was published in the prestigious Lancet <http://www.biotech-info.net/Lancet_Study.pdf>  in 1999.

Other Examples of Dangerous GM Foods 

In addition to corn, there are six other GM foods currently on the market. And all of them have been linked to potential health problems.

1.   Soy -- GM soy is highly allergenic and accounts for about 90 percent of soybeans planted in the U.S. It is present in about 70 percent of all food products found in American supermarkets. Rats fed GM soy had increased mortality, lower birth weight, and damaged sperm and reproductive ability.
   2.   Cottonseed (used in vegetable cooking oils) -- Sheep that grazed on GM cotton eventually died after developing severe irritation and black patches in their intestines, and enlarged bile ducts.
   3.   Canola -- Three different mutant weeds resistant to three common herbicides – Monsanto's Roundup, Cyanamid's Pursuit, and Aventis' Liberty – were produced when Canadian farmers began planting GM canola seeds.
   4.   Sugar from sugar beets -- Sugar beets easily cross pollinate, meaning GM beets could "infect" organic varieties and destroy their value.
   5.   Hawaiian papaya -- GM papaya was introduced in 1998. After six years, a test was conducted on 20,000 papaya seeds. Eighty percent were taken from organic farms. Half of the seeds were found to be genetically modified! This means that it's virtually impossible to safeguard non-GM crops from GM crops.
   6.   Zucchini and yellow squash -- GM squash contains 68 times less beta-carotene and four times more sodium than non-GM varieties.

How You Can Avoid GM Foods, and Help Others Do the Same

Most people want to avoid GM foods but it is virtually impossible to do so, since the government prevents GMO labeling.

However, Jeffery Smith has compiled an excellent resource for you to avoid the government block of information. It is the free Non-GMO Shopping Guide <http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/> . Print it out, and share it with your friends and family, and post it to your social networks.

Alternatively, you can download a free iPhone application, available in the iTunes store. You can find it by searching for ShopNoGMO in the applications.

If you're feeling really ambitious you can also order the Non-GMO Shopping Tips brochure <http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/Products/Brochures/index.cfm>  in bulk, and bring them to the grocery stores in your area. Talk to the owner or manager and get permission to post them in their store.

For More Information

Jeffrey Smith, the executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology <http://www.responsibletechnology.org/>  has authored two excellent books on this topic which I highly recommend reading:

1.   Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972966587/optimalwellnessc> 
   2.   Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972966528/optimalwellnessc> .

There are also a number of great films and lectures available, including:

*   Hidden Dangers in Kid's Meals <http://www.seedsofdeception.com/utility/showArticle/?objectID=156> 
   *   Your Milk on Drugs - Just Say No! <http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/rBGHinDairyProducts/index.cfm> 
   *   Everything You Have to Know About Dangerous Genetically Modified Foods <http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/17/everything-you-have-to-know-about-dangerous-genetically-modified-foods.aspx> 

For timely updates, join the Non-GMO Project on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/nongmoproject> , or follow them on Twitter <http://twitter.com/NonGMOProject> .

It's quite clear that our government will NOT take a stand and protect you from these dangerous foods. On the contrary, it appears they're actively backing Monsanto's agenda to flood all markets with their genetically modified wares—without any proof of safety whatsoever.

So please, do your homework. Together, we as consumers have the power to stop them! All we need is about five percent of consumers to simply stop buying GM foods, and the food industry would have to reconsider their source of ingredients.

Keep educating yourself on this issue, and help others do the same.

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »

double post Blush

Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »

Julian Assange has been arrested at the Embassy of Ecuador today.

http://news.met.police.uk.../arrest-update-sw1-365526
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »

Julian Assange has been arrested at the Embassy of Ecuador today.

http://news.met.police.uk.../arrest-update-sw1-365526

Well, I guess he outstayed his welcome at the Ecuadoran Embassy?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: