Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Wedding Cakes  (Read 68446 times)
Swashbuckler

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »

This pic doesn't show the whole cake, my mistake  Blush
Here is the full wedding cake  Smiley

Paddy1311

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »

Thank-you do much for the full picture, Swashbuckler.  Star

I like the idea of butterflys and flowers on top of the cake. However, there is no angels. It looks they had five seperate wedding cakes. Instead of just one big cake. 

On the table, where the wedding cake is, is can see a small cake in the shape of a crown.  Crap
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

So I want to know what do they serve the guests in lieu of wedding cake. I ask because I believe after royal weddings int he U.K., the wedding cake is on display for quite a while.  I really don't get this as it seems to me that one of the functions of a cake is to be eaten. I get the part about saving the top until your first anniversary, but it looks like the U.K. royals save the entire thing. Anybody know?

Bumbershoot, I know specifically for Kate and William's cake, a few of the top layers were eaten and the top one was saved for the Christening of their future first born.  We know this because when the cake was displayed later at Buckingham Palace, the baker said she had to remake those layers.  Perhaps the lower layers were later boxed up and sent to guests as momentos.
I do agree with you that if the cake is not totally eaten, it is a bit like Great Expectations and Miss Haversham's wedding cake. Dead
Fragrance78

Large Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »

So will they eat the saved cake at the christening of their first born? How can a cake lasts for so long?

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

So will they eat the saved cake at the christening of their first born? How can a cake lasts for so long?
I believe that many of the BRF wedding cakes are fruit cakes that are soaked in brandy and can last for a long time.
Fragrance78

Large Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »

I believe that many of the BRF wedding cakes are fruit cakes that are soaked in brandy and can last for a long time.

Thanks TLLK!  Star
I still wouldn't eat the cake if it was given to me unless spoon-fed by a naked Gary Lewis, wearing only a bow tie.  Banana

Paddy1311

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »

Thanks TLLK!  Star
I still wouldn't eat the cake if it was given to me unless spoon-fed by a naked Gary Lewis, wearing only a bow tie.  Banana

Same here, I can't stand the taste of fruit cake. Yet, I think the purpose of wedding cakes is the are made to be decoration, not for taste.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

But hey, let them eat cake!
sweets7908

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

Fred and Mary

Trust them to have the biggest one there.  Wink
Swashbuckler

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »

Crown Prince Olav and Princess Märtha of Sweden

divinemiss

Warned
Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »

In Scotland we do things slightly different from England as we have afternoon weddings but for commoner weddings either the top or bottom layer is kept for the first child's christening cake. I did it, everyone I know did it and the cakes taste great, honest. A well as a wedding dinner we put on food in the evening and the remaining layers are cut up and served as part of that.

Don't know what the royals do but this is very much a long standing tradition
DiaryQueen

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

In Scotland we do things slightly different from England as we have afternoon weddings but for commoner weddings either the top or bottom layer is kept for the first child's christening cake. I did it, everyone I know did it and the cakes taste great, honest. A well as a wedding dinner we put on food in the evening and the remaining layers are cut up and served as part of that.

Don't know what the royals do but this is very much a long standing tradition

we do that in england as well
Swashbuckler

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

CG & Silvia

"King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia's wedding table in the 'Vita havet' assembly rooms was also adorned with a croquembouche when they married on 19 June, 1976.
Top Stockholm restaurant Operakällaren's master confectioner Dag Öster created a magnificent four-tier croquembouche with a crest. The cake was decorated with 160 marzipan roses.
One of the roses was carefully saved by one of the court footmen.
 The rose was presented, perfectly preserved with a specially made silver stem and leaf, to a much-moved Queen Silvia on The King and Queen's silver wedding anniversary."

(from: http://www.kungahuset.se/...12652d9b15a800012258.html)

So is it this one, does the pic only show a part?  Huh?

lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »

Serge Gustave Sender Wayntraub is the name of the pastry chef extraordinaire who made Charles and Diana's cake. He also made Baudouin & Fabiola's as well as cakes for royalty in Great Britain, Sweden, Japan, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Iran, etc. He was commonly referred to as the cake/pastry chef of Kings.

I have looked now for 30 minutes and can not spend any additional time on it, but Baudouin had a VERY specific list of requirements for his wedding cake that made it quite complicated. It could not be over a certain height, etc.

The chef passed away in 2009 and was Belgium, born in the same year as Baudouin. He had a FANTASTIC collection of cooking items from history - many rare books and utensils. Museum quality collection. He is known for his philosophy of being a life-long apprentice.

sleepyvalentina

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

Princess Margaret's cake was taller than she was. In my experience, elaborate cakes rarely taste good. Fondant is foul.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, buy here's an interesting tidbit (and I wonder for how many of these cakes this is true): Usually, for cakes that big, only a few layers are edible. The rest are constructed to look like cake and decorated to blend. I'm partial to flower toppers and had my own wedding cake modeled after one eaten by the closest thing we Americans have to royalty.

Since attachments no longer work, I'm linking some that were mentioned but no longer visible. Some of these may be new.

Princess Charlene

Steph and Gui:

Prince Ali/Aly Salman Aga Khan and Rita Hayworth:

closeup of Grace Kelly and Ranier:

Prince Hamzah and Princess Noor of Jordan:

Vickan and Daniel:

Christoph and Adelaide:

Prince Rasheed El Hasan of Jordan and Zeina Shaban:

Haalon and MM:

Princess Barbie:

Pavlos and Marie Chantal:

Princess Xenia (Habsburg) and Alberto Matta Maya: