Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is Marie's Danish?  (Read 49944 times)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »

One of the things that I've noticed with Marie is that the media haven't published volumes of articles about how Marie is so fluent in Danish that she forgets how to speak French/speaks French with a Danish accent.  That strategy was used with Mary, and other than a handful of Mary-sugars, nobody believed it. 

Blink They actually wrote that about Mary? How ridiculous!

Yes they did.  Actually, both Danish and Australian media wrote this.  The accent nonsense first appeared right before the wedding.  There was a sailing race between F&M right before the wedding, and there were several reporters present.  Mary made a big show of answering an Australian reporter in Danish.  If anyone has the clip, please post it.  It was very fake, IMO.  You could see right through her when she did that.  There's no way that after a year or two, she was only thinking in Danish.  I can show anyone volumes of research that will prove this does not happen in language learners.  It was all an act.

How silly!  Roll Eyes Well, that's our Mary.

It is silly.  That's one thing that I like about Marie; she hasn't tried to convince the media that she's totally fluent in and only speaks Danish 24/7.  In fact, in interviews, she's stated that she is still learning, Jokke helps her to practice her speeches, and that she speaks French with the children and Jokke speaks Danish.  I don't doubt this, for some reason. 
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »

I think the reason is that it sounds realistic! Unlike Mosh, Marie always seems genuine.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »

I think the reason is that it sounds realistic! Unlike Mosh, Marie always seems genuine.

Yes, she does Star 

She's not going out of her way to prove she was "destined" to become a princess.  She's never been anyone but herself. Yes
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »

Marie doesn't have the need to always impress and put up a happy facade. She has self confidence, something unfortunately Mary is totally missing.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »

Marie doesn't have the need to always impress and put up a happy facade. She has self confidence, something unfortunately Mary is totally missing.
Thumb up Yes
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »

One of the things that I've noticed with Marie is that the media haven't published volumes of articles about how Marie is so fluent in Danish that she forgets how to speak French/speaks French with a Danish accent.  That strategy was used with Mary, and other than a handful of Mary-sugars, nobody believed it. 

Yes they did.  Actually, both Danish and Australian media wrote this.  The accent nonsense first appeared right before the wedding.  There was a sailing race between F&M right before the wedding, and there were several reporters present.  Mary made a big show of answering an Australian reporter in Danish.  If anyone has the clip, please post it.  It was very fake, IMO.  You could see right through her when she did that.  There's no way that after a year or two, she was only thinking in Danish.  I can show anyone volumes of research that will prove this does not happen in language learners.  It was all an act.

It is silly.  That's one thing that I like about Marie; she hasn't tried to convince the media that she's totally fluent in and only speaks Danish 24/7.  In fact, in interviews, she's stated that she is still learning, Jokke helps her to practice her speeches, and that she speaks French with the children and Jokke speaks Danish.  I don't doubt this, for some reason. 
Which completely makes sense if you want the kids to be mult-lingual. Have the native speaker converse with the kids in their primary language. They'll be the ones to model the correct pronunciation, syntax, idioms etc... I'm pretty sure this is what W-A and Max did with the AAA team.
whimsicalwriter
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

Which completely makes sense if you want the kids to be mult-lingual. Have the native speaker converse with the kids in their primary language. They'll be the ones to model the correct pronunciation, syntax, idioms etc... I'm pretty sure this is what W-A and Max did with the AAA team.
It makes sense to do it that way. Thankfully Mary's kids are primarily with nannies. I'd hate to think what they would sound like otherwise  Crazy
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

Raising the kids multi-lingual is a great idea, to be honest. That way they'll be able to communicate with their non-danish speaking relatives as well. 

freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »

Raising the kids multi-lingual is a great idea, to be honest. That way they'll be able to communicate with their non-danish speaking relatives as well.  

It's what makes the deception of Mary and her PR so utterly pointless.

If she had just said 'I'm still learning and I'm still getting used to it.  I slip into English and, of course, I speak English with the children'.... she would have been endearing.

Instead, she felt the need to pretend she was a Danish afficionado, which makes her errors all the more hilarious.  If she is indeed speaking it 24/7, she either has a brain injury or something else is going wrong, given how many mistakes she makes consistently.

You can call me TrollSpoon.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »

It's what makes the deception of Mary and her PR so utterly pointless.

If she had just said 'I'm still learning and I'm still getting used to it.  I slip into English and, of course, I speak English with the children'.... she would have been endearing.

Instead, she felt the need to pretend she was a Danish afficionado, which makes her errors all the more hilarious.  If she is indeed speaking it 24/7, she either has a brain injury or something else is going wrong, given how many mistakes she makes consistently.
Spoonie Thumb up
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »

Mary's Danish
I think her danish is quite good and using a word like "abysmal" seems quite the exaggeration. We don't see her "freestyle" a lot

Marie speaks Danish more fluently and has a very good grasp on pronounciation and grammar.....even though with a slight Jutland accent.
There isn't really that much out there on Marie "freestyling", so I'd say whoever made that claim is making a sham case.

So there's no "freestyling" from any of them and because of that people can't judge Marie's Danish but you can judge Mary's?  Confused

Fonseca

Baby Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »

Mary's Danish
I think her danish is quite good and using a word like "abysmal" seems quite the exaggeration. We don't see her "freestyle" a lot

Marie speaks Danish more fluently and has a very good grasp on pronounciation and grammar.....even though with a slight Jutland accent.
There isn't really that much out there on Marie "freestyling", so I'd say whoever made that claim is making a sham case.

So there's no "freestyling" from any of them and because of that people can't judge Marie's Danish but you can judge Mary's?  Confused

I don't understand your question in relation to the quotations.

Are you trying to put words in my mouth?
 As I said - this is not how we post on RD. If you want to post on RD start dishing on royals and stop questioning how other posters feel.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »

Mary lived in Denmark for well over a year before she became engaged to Fred. Frankly, she should have been fluent, or at least reasonably fluent, by the time their engagement was announced

Danish isn't a very easy language to learn. I wouldn't expect someone living in Denmark a year being able to make anything but the most basic pronounciations.

I have a cousin, moved here from Australia (Danish parents, been to Denmark several times) 12 years ago at age 25 or so. He's absolutely horrid at Danish, despite having heard it every day, taken classes and even brought up in a home where Danish was occationally spoken.

While Danish isn't impossible to master at an adult introduction-time, it surely isn't a given either. And some never learn (i.e. Prince Henrik).

I know people who have moved to Denamrk and are quite fluent within a year. You know why? Unlike Mary, they actually took the time and effort to learn because they wanted to and more importantly they had to. Unfortunately for them, they weren't sleeping with the CP so weren't guaranteed Danish nationality irrespective of their ability to speak.

Mary's poor Danish is an insult to all the hardoworking immigrants to Demark who do their utmost to try and succeed and fit in and are still demonised by some.

Marie's Danish seems better to me overall.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »

Mary's Danish

As I said - this is not how we post on RD. If you want to post on RD start dishing on royals and stop questioning how other posters feel.

Did I quote something you hadn't said?

Fonseca

Baby Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

Mary's Danish

Did I quote something you hadn't said?

Wasn't your quotes. It's your extrapolation.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: