Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal engagement rings  (Read 121281 times)
fogdancer

Big Member

Brazil Brazil

He dances! Be jealous Jagger

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »

It also looks like the new setting is platinum and the old one was gold but I can't tell for sure. Huh?

Diana's setting was also platinum. It was never gold.

sorry to disappoint Diana's ER was made of white gold by Garrard, take a look at their site, they use white gold, instead of platinum (USA, Canada)...
Only the wedding band is made of a nugget of gold, which is almost at the end.

The Truth About Princess Diana’s engagement ring

It is often suggested that Princess Diana’s engagement ring was made from Welsh Gold.

This is not the case; it was her wedding band that was made from Welsh gold – in fact made from the same gold nugget that has been used since 1923.

Princess Diana’s famous blue sapphire and white diamond engagement ring was actually made from white gold.

The tradition of using Welsh gold for Royal weddings began with the Queen Mother (Queen Elizabeth of England’s mother) who used Welsh gold for the rings for her own wedding to George – later George the 6th.

Since then, most Royal weddings have had rings made out of the same Welsh gold nugget. These were: Queen Elizabeth of England in 1947 at her marriage to Prince Philip; Princess Margaret in 1960 to the Lord Snowdon; Princess Anne in 1973 to Captain Mark Philips; and then Diana, Lady Diana Spencer as she then was, the future Princess of Wales to Prince Charles in 1981.

All these wedding rings were made from the same nugget.

The gold came from North Wales, from the Clogau St David’s mine at Bontddu. Unfortunately, there is little left of the original nugget left and it looked as if Diana’s wedding would be the last wedding to follow this tradition.

However, in November 1981, the British Royal Legion presented Queen Elizabeth with a 36 gram piece of 21 carat Welsh gold for future royal wedding rings.

Part of this gold went into making Sarah, Duchess of York’s ring in 1986 and the wedding rings of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were also crafted from this precious material.

The Clogau St David’s mine dates back to Roman times but it was only in the 19th century that what was thought to be a copper mine yielded gold. Welsh gold has copper tones which makes it far more valuable than gold from South Africa. In recent years, the mine has had a difficult time and had to be shut down in 1998. A number of contributing factors led to the closure of the mine in 1998. With no gold mining taking place in Wales today, Welsh gold supplies will eventually run out, making it possibly the rarest gold in the world.

Although the mine is no longer operational, there are hopes that it will open up again – possibly to supply the demand fro Welsh gold, if the wedding of William and Kate creates a trend for this rare material.

For more information about the Clogau gold mine:

http://www.clogau.co.uk/A...utClogau/AboutClogau.aspx

http://www.ringswithlove....s-dianas-engagement-ring/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:20:49 AM by fogdancer » Logged

In the lack of the words, be fluent in diamonds.
Galuh

Ginormous Member

Tuvalu Tuvalu

Mary & Michael, twins separated at birth?

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

The Royal Wedding: Royal Rocks: The Engagement Rings of Princess Brides
Story and pictures link

AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »

It also looks like the new setting is platinum and the old one was gold but I can't tell for sure. Huh?

sorry to disappoint Diana's ER was made of white gold by Garrard, take a look at their site, they use white gold, instead of platinum (USA, Canada)...

It is often suggested that Princess Diana’s engagement ring was made from Welsh Gold.

This is not the case; it was her wedding band that was made from Welsh gold – in fact made from the same gold nugget that has been used since 1923.

Princess Diana’s famous blue sapphire and white diamond engagement ring was actually made from white gold.

The tradition of using Welsh gold for Royal weddings began with the Queen Mother (Queen Elizabeth of England’s mother) who used Welsh gold for the rings for her own wedding to George – later George the 6th.

Since then, most Royal weddings have had rings made out of the same Welsh gold nugget. These were: Queen Elizabeth of England in 1947 at her marriage to Prince Philip; Princess Margaret in 1960 to the Lord Snowdon; Princess Anne in 1973 to Captain Mark Philips; and then Diana, Lady Diana Spencer as she then was, the future Princess of Wales to Prince Charles in 1981.

The gold came from North Wales, from the Clogau St David’s mine at Bontddu. Unfortunately, there is little left of the original nugget left and it looked as if Diana’s wedding would be the last wedding to follow this tradition.

However, in November 1981, the British Royal Legion presented Queen Elizabeth with a 36 gram piece of 21 carat Welsh gold for future royal wedding rings.

Part of this gold went into making Sarah, Duchess of York’s ring in 1986 and the wedding rings of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were also crafted from this precious material.

The Clogau St David’s mine dates back to Roman times but it was only in the 19th century that what was thought to be a copper mine yielded gold. Welsh gold has copper tones which makes it far more valuable than gold from South Africa. In recent years, the mine has had a difficult time and had to be shut down in 1998. A number of contributing factors led to the closure of the mine in 1998. With no gold mining taking place in Wales today, Welsh gold supplies will eventually run out, making it possibly the rarest gold in the world.

Although the mine is no longer operational, there are hopes that it will open up again – possibly to supply the demand fro Welsh gold, if the wedding of William and Kate creates a trend for this rare material.

Does this mean that WK rings are of welsh gold?
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

found the answer; Yes!

http://www.professionalje...rare-welsh-gold-for-ring/

Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »

Yep they are, as were Andrew and Sarah's and as are Edward and Sophie's.   Still bothers me that Wills doesn't wear a wedding ring.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »

Yep they are, as were Andrew and Sarah's and as are Edward and Sophie's.   Still bothers me that Wills doesn't wear a wedding ring.

I read somewhere it's tradition(?) not to wear the wedding band, for men (??), or something.
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »

I read somewhere it's tradition(?) not to wear the wedding band, for men (??), or something.

Anyway , even if he doesn't wear his wedding ring everyone in this world knows he is married , it's not like those men who, on purpose, leave their wedding ring at home and then go to the pub pretendig they are singles!
Lady G

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

Was Diana's ring re-set? It doesn't look the same on her as it does on Kate  Huh?

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »

Was Diana's ring re-set? It doesn't look the same on her as it does on Kate  Huh?

She made some alternations as the ring was a bit big and she was scared it would fall off Yikes

http://hirschfelds.co.uk/...-repair-london-ezp-2.html

"Kate Middleton (Duchess of Cambridge) had Princess Diana's engagement ring resized because it was too loose on her finger. The sapphire and diamond ring was famously worn by the late Diana, Princess of Wales, and given to Miss Middleton by Prince William when he proposed on holiday. The ring has had two tiny platinum beads attached to the inside of the ring in order to make the ring tighter on her finger. Kate Middleton decided to make the ring alteration because she was worried that it might fall off during the wedding ceremony.Our goldsmiths can solder such gold or platinum balls inside your own ring band. These small balls are used to prevent the ring twisting around on the finger for clients whose fingers are wider at the knuckles than at the base. If the ring does not fit absolutely perfectly, this can be annoying as well as uncomfortable. This is why fixing platinum or gold beads on the inside of a ring is such a good idea because it just keeps the ring in place when there is no need to adjust or resize the band. "

http://www.dailymail.co.u...er-fit-finger-better.html

"Kate has reluctantly had 'speed bumps' attached to the bottom of the ring to make the band more of a snug fit on her size H finger, according to the Sun.
Miss Middleton appears to have slimmed down in recent weeks as her big day approaches."

http://www.telegraph.co.u...nt-ring-made-smaller.html

"The princess-in-waiting has asked Crown jewellers G Collins and Sons to attach small platinum beads inside the bottom of the ring to make it the right size, according to The Sun.
The 29-year-old "adores" the ring and "didn't want to cause a fuss", but had found the band was turning on her finger, a royal source told the paper.
"A bride's worst nightmare is looking down and seeing her ring has fallen off. One can only imagine how this is magnified when you are marrying the future King of England.""

Also a DM commentator stated (for what it's worth);

"Kate's ring has been completely changed from Diana's. The band is now Platinum, Diana's was gold and there are now only one ring of diamonds instead of two rings surrounding the sapphire."

and that the one she's wearing is a costume ring as the real one is locked in a vault for safety reasons (apparently aristos do that all the time...Huh? ?)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:40:22 PM by AliCat » Logged
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »

How it might look;

Also closeup;

Kates(at time of eng);

Dianas;
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:55:18 PM by AliCat » Logged
Lady G

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: December 18, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »

The diamonds look as if they've been re-set. The colour obviously looks different but I'll put that down to the photography. And the original sapphire looks longer and thinner.

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »

The diamonds look as if they've been re-set. The colour obviously looks different but I'll put that down to the photography. And the original sapphire looks longer and thinner.

I think that might be because the the re-set diamonds are now angled down instead of straight out.
AliCat
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: December 25, 2013, 09:33:27 PM »

Recent close-up of Kate's ring;
Marie

Muted
Gigantic Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

Many pictures of Royal engagement rings (and a close up of Stephanie's of Luxembourg engagement ring we wera talkig about today : http://royaldish.com/index.php?topic=13781.0

I've never noticed her engagement ring it's so big.  Yikes Seems Gui is much more generous than Fred ....

Je suis Charlie
Marie

Muted
Gigantic Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »

Diana's engagement ring is worth 370.000 euros today, 10 times more when it was purchased :
http://www.gala.fr/l_actu...r_qui_vaut_de_l_or_316338
I post it her because of the nice picture of this ring, you can see the saphire very well !

Je suis Charlie
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: