Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal engagement rings  (Read 128498 times)
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »

The royals don't do this, but I am seeing a disturbing trend elsewhere: as the years of marriage go by, some women are demanding that the size of the diamond in their engagements rings be increased. I have one friend whose 3/4 carat diamond has been upscaled twice and now it's a whopping five carats.  This trend seems to me to undercut  the romantic symbolism of the original engagement ring. What do you think?
In my case, my ring was stolen. It was right before the big session hit. So when the insurance company finally paid up, we chose to keep the cash liquid. Several years went by, and for our 25th anniversary my DH surprised me with a rather more jumbo version of my stolen ring. I was very pleased and love the new ring!
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »

We upgraded mine but when we got married we were very young and I'd wanted something a bit larger, it was half a carat and now is still under one carat.

I feel more sentimental towards the wedding ring than I do the engagement ring.
Paulina

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:49 AM »

When my late husband proposed, he had a diamond. I was thrilled and we were happy to start planning our wedding. This would have been August 1993. Anyway, among the many things he said at the time was, "Sweetheart, I don't think the diamond is big enough. I think we should go up. I'm okay to have it go up a quarter carat." I was all, "No, it's fine the way it is, it's lovely. I'm so happy, let's not spend the money." He teased me for years afterward that I missed my chance and I did! By then we had other expenses (infertility expenses, a house, and kids, then cancer treatment) The ring is lovely, and I still wear it, with his as well, but sometimes I'm like, "Dang, we (he) had the money. Should have done it then." It's totally irrelevant, but was a humorous point for a long time.
armchair fashionista

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2018, 02:03:47 AM »

When my late husband proposed, he had a diamond. I was thrilled and we were happy to start planning our wedding. This would have been August 1993. Anyway, among the many things he said at the time was, "Sweetheart, I don't think the diamond is big enough. I think we should go up. I'm okay to have it go up a quarter carat." I was all, "No, it's fine the way it is, it's lovely. I'm so happy, let's not spend the money." He teased me for years afterward that I missed my chance and I did! By then we had other expenses (infertility expenses, a house, and kids, then cancer treatment) The ring is lovely, and I still wear it, with his as well, but sometimes I'm like, "Dang, we (he) had the money. Should have done it then." It's totally irrelevant, but was a humorous point for a long time.

Awwwww Hug
Lady Lurker

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2018, 03:34:32 AM »

I have always loved Pads! This one is a beaut!  Great colour!

This article mentions the estimated cost of the ring...and Yes, it does compare it with La Markles.

https://pagesix.com/2018/...-price-of-meghan-markels/

I like the setting.  It is a bit old fashioned, but it seems to suit Eugenie's personality.

I want to ask someone who know about pictures....Is Eugenie wearing hand makeup?  Her hand seems to glisten!

I like everything about her engagement announcement.  It was so relaxed and hype free. 
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »

I have always loved Pads! This one is a beaut!  Great colour!

This article mentions the estimated cost of the ring...and Yes, it does compare it with La Markles.

https://pagesix.com/2018/...-price-of-meghan-markels/

I like the setting.  It is a bit old fashioned, but it seems to suit Eugenie's personality.

I want to ask someone who know about pictures....Is Eugenie wearing hand makeup?  Her hand seems to glisten!

I like everything about her engagement announcement.  It was so relaxed and hype free. 

You can get hand/body lotion that leaves a faint shimmer on the skin, maybe that’s what it is? I did notice her fresh manicure.
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »

The royals don't do this, but I am seeing a disturbing trend elsewhere: as the years of marriage go by, some women are demanding that the size of the diamond in their engagements rings be increased. I have one friend whose 3/4 carat diamond has been upscaled twice and now it's a whopping five carats.  This trend seems to me to undercut  the romantic symbolism of the original engagement ring. What do you think?

Here in Australia, it’s quite customary to get an “eternity” ring (often at the first anniversary, or the birth of the first child) that fits in or around the engagement ring. A couple of times we looked at getting one, but I had a marquise solitaire, and couldn’t really find something I liked, then usually we found something more pressing to spend the money on! Then a few people I know started getting the “upgrade” ring, and since my original ring was quite small (.16 carat), we decided for our 20th anniversary to do the same.... I have a lovely 1.01ct round brilliant, in a “Tiffany” setting (its not from there though!), I consider it my eternity ring, and while my engagement ring was a symbol of that romantic time, after 20 years my new ring holds a lot of symbolism too, especially as we had been through a particularly rough patch a few years before.

On a side mote, I read once that Victoria Beckham gets a new ring every year!
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Big Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »

Here in Australia, it’s quite customary to get an “eternity” ring (often at the first anniversary, or the birth of the first child) that fits in or around the engagement ring. A couple of times we looked at getting one, but I had a marquise solitaire, and couldn’t really find something I liked, then usually we found something more pressing to spend the money on! Then a few people I know started getting the “upgrade” ring, and since my original ring was quite small (.16 carat), we decided for our 20th anniversary to do the same.... I have a lovely 1.01ct round brilliant, in a “Tiffany” setting (its not from there though!), I consider it my eternity ring, and while my engagement ring was a symbol of that romantic time, after 20 years my new ring holds a lot of symbolism too, especially as we had been through a particularly rough patch a few years before.

Where I’m from it’s always been traditional to get stones added to your engagement ring and/or your wedding band at the 10th anniversary. That’s something that I imagine is falling by the wayside because most women’s rings these days are covered in stones from the get go. It’s so hard to find someone with a clean solitaire and traditional band anymore.

emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »

Where I’m from it’s always been traditional to get stones added to your engagement ring and/or your wedding band at the 10th anniversary. That’s something that I imagine is falling by the wayside because most women’s rings these days are covered in stones from the get go. It’s so hard to find someone with a clean solitaire and traditional band anymore.

Both mine have been traditional solitaires, with a plain straight wedding band.... I’m a girl of simole tastes! I think the problem these days with adding stones to rings is its so expensive! In many cases its far cheaper to just get a whole new ring.
Kaiserin

Huge Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »

Well, I think that giving an eternity ring to be worn with the engagement ring and wedding band, or adding a stone/stones to the original engagement ring is sweet (and a thing that the couple decides together or the hubby decides just because he wants to express his unchanged feelings)
but I understood what bumbershoot mentioned was that there's a trend that women "demand to replace" the tiny original by sth bigger just for the size of it to boast around, which I would consider a total different thing.

When I got engaged years ago, I didn't even get a ring ... we then got married, and decided to have plein stainless steel wedding bands (very solid thing, with rectangular edge at the outside, but smoooth edge on the inside, the inside polished and with engraving in our own handwriting). Although I am divorced for 12 years now, I still wear it because it represents a period in my life (and because I still like it for it's unconventionality).
In fact, I wear it alongside the "this-is-not-an-engagement-but-just-my-way-to-say-I-love-you"-Tiffany setting solitaire (0.5 c) my current BF gave me out of the blue someday after like 3 years of us being together.
This diamond ring is and will be the closest I'll ever get [again] near an engagement (I do not think we'll ever marry, me with my first marriage shipwrecked, he never wanted to), and this ring does also now represent >10 years of my life - I cannot imagine to take off this ring or to have it replaced by sth else.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Big Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »

I don’t know if you meant to come off snippy, but I was literally just engaging in a conversation about a change in rings that I’m familiar with. I wasn’t insulting anyone else’s choices or traditions, so pardon me.

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »

Maybe we all can get back to discussing royal engagement rings rather than our own?
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Big Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »

Maybe we all can get back to discussing royal engagement rings rather than our own?

Thumb up

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: