Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curtseys  (Read 102627 times)
lupina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »

Is there anyone here that has been subjected to this demeaning practice?  Dead I know I would never give Yrma the pleasure of looking down her ski slope at me.  No

lupina

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss

The other RD - http://richarddawkins.net/
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »

I wouldn't not curtsey to anyone either. I like to see how they do it but I leave it for the wannabe royals.

"You can never be too rich or too thin" - HRH The Duchess of Windsor Cambridge
boof

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

Is there anyone here that has been subjected to this demeaning practice?  Dead I know I would never give Yrma the pleasure of looking down her ski slope at me.  No
lupina

Mary??  Oh Hell to the MF'ing NO!  The best Mary's getting from me is the royal bird.  I started to say, I might throw a pie at her, but why waste a perfectly good pie?   Cool 

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~Tommy Smothers

I agree.  If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to press the ignore button.
Flamingo

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »

I'm old-fashioned, but I don't so much mind the idea of curtsying (not that I've ever had occasion to do it).  You don't curtsy so much to QEII or to Mary or whoever as you curtsy to the position of Queen of England or Crown Princess of Denmark.  I see the positions as national institutions worthy of respect, as long as I respect the country they represent.  To me curtsying is the same as standing for the national anthem. Smiley
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »

But that would mean that you respect the monarchy as an ok form of government. I doubt that you would be irrespectful if instead of curtseying you shake their hand.

Curtseying means that you are not equal to the person you are curtseying to.  Thinking

zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »

I had to curtsey to QUEII, in 1966; when she made a State Visit to Belgium, I was at the time working for the British Embassy; it didn't embarass me at all.  We had special lessons with the Ambassador's wife!!!!

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »

Why should you be embarrassed? And I'm sure that your curtsey was beautiful  Thumb up (Long time no see Zinzen, I hope you will be here for the wedding!)

But was it compulsory? Nowdays AFAIK it's not needed to curtsey to the queen.

zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »

Yes it was, if I could avoided the ceremony I would have preferred because at that thime I was very shy, but now I'm proud I met that Grande Dame Smiley
I was also introduced to Princess Margareth and Lord Snowdon.  The Royal sisters were beautiful ladies, and I don't mention the Duke of Edinbourgh

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:28 AM »

But that would mean that you respect the monarchy as an ok form of government. I doubt that you would be irrespectful if instead of curtseying you shake their hand.

Curtseying means that you are not equal to the person you are curtseying to.  Thinking

I do respect the system of monarchy (constitutional monarchy) as an ok form of government, if it's what the majority of people in a country want. Smiley  I don't think it means you're not equal in worth as a person - if I thought that, I wouldn't do it - but I'm okay with it meaning I'm not equal in rank, because I'm not.
kingcanut

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

Camila to Rania

"Think and let think".
Rita

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »

Lalla Joumala to QEII  Wink

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »

I went to a convent school and we were taught to curtsey to our teachers and to any sister we encountered in the hallways. We also curtseyed at the end of our various musical performances.  Nothing demeaning about this, simply a sign of respect. And no, there was none of that silly holding out the corners of our dresses you see when you see little girls performing what I consider a travesty of a curtsey on stage.

In ballet classes, we always finished with a ``reverance,'' which is a ballet curtsey.  We would then applaud our teacher.  Nothing demeanng about this either.
Jonathan

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

It implies that one thinks that they are inferior to the person they are curtseying to, I only curtsey to the mirror in the mornings

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

It implies that one thinks that they are inferior to the person they are curtseying to, I only curtsey to the mirror in the mornings

I bet you do honey  Laugh bounce I'll start that too  Star

leatherface

Big Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »

In my part of Nigeria we curtsey to our elders i.e. old people, it is a show of respect. Even if the person you are curtseying to isn't worthy of your respect to not do so would be a slight against you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: