Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: homes of minor royals  (Read 27896 times)
christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

Barnwell Manor - Home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester

The house has four reception rooms, seven principal bedrooms, and six bathrooms. It is a 40-room Grade II eighteenth century manor house, with origins dating to 1586. The estate now comprises 2,500 acres (10 km2) farmed by the present Duke of Gloucester.

It was announced in January 1995 that the Gloucesters would vacate the house, which costs £35,000 to £50,000 a year to maintain. It was leased for seven years to an antiques company. The family retains the house and estate, but they now live solely in Kensington Palace, where they have an apartment.

They live at Kensington palace where it's probably free for them to do so 
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »

Tatty, thank you for showing the wonderful old Harewood House. Star

I have just looked up more information on that historical building; I am entranced by the gardens and grounds!
I wonder if you could help me identify what the statue is that appears in the middle of the formal garden.
To me it looks like someone carrying something on their shoulders.
Is that so? Do you know who it is and what they are carrying? (Could it be Samson and the lion?)
Have you ever visited this estate? Is the garden as splendiferous as it seems?
whimsicalwriter
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »

The house has four reception rooms, seven principal bedrooms, and six bathrooms. It is a 40-room Grade II eighteenth century manor house, with origins dating to 1586. The estate now comprises 2,500 acres (10 km2) farmed by the present Duke of Gloucester.

It was announced in January 1995 that the Gloucesters would vacate the house, which costs £35,000 to £50,000 a year to maintain. It was leased for seven years to an antiques company. The family retains the house and estate, but they now live solely in Kensington Palace, where they have an apartment.

I wouldn't mind a house like this but I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill 
BaronessLee

Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:58 AM »

I have just looked up more information on that historical building; I am entranced by the gardens and grounds!
I wonder if you could help me identify what the statue is that appears in the middle of the formal garden.
Is that so? Do you know who it is and what they are carrying? (Could it be Samson and the lion?)

No, the statue is one of the most famous of Harewood's collection. It is Orpheus with a leopard around his neck. Leapords were associated with Dionysus, whose Orpheus' myths were linked to.
christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »

I wouldn't mind a house like this but I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill 
Exactly why they let the house out and moved themselves into grace and favour apartments at Kensington Palace, so that others could foot the heating bill 
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »

No, the statue is one of the most famous of Harewood's collection. It is Orpheus with a leopard around his neck. Leapords were associated with Dionysus, whose Orpheus' myths were linked to.

Thank you! Thumb up I like the statue.  It looks like it sits in it's rightful place looking over the grounds.
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »

Tatty, do you happen to have photos of Constantine and Anne Marie's house in London? I have the impression that's it's not at all of royal status, merely a nice large suburban home.

Here's AM & C's home - front and from the garden
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Tatty, do you happen to have photos of Constantine and Anne Marie's house in London? I have the impression that's it's not at all of royal status, merely a nice large suburban home.

Here's AM & C's home - front and from the garden

Thank you, Lille! Star
Hmm, in the first picture the house looks rather ugly. The second pic is better, though.
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Vintage photography featuring the exteriors and interiors of the homes of some other royals/aristos/etc.
Photos by Slim Aarons.

"Caption: John Albert Edward Spencer Churchill, the 10th Duke of Marlborough (1897 - 1972) and his wife Mary relax on a bench in the grounds of Blenheim Palace, the family seat in Oxfordshire."

"Caption: Circa 1970, The Marquess and Marchioness of Waterford and their elder son, the Earl of Tyrone, in the grounds of their home, Curraghmore, County Waterford, Ireland."

"Caption: November 1986: Phillipe, Duc De Magenta et Marquis De MacMahon outside Chateau Sully in Autun with his fiancee Amelie Drummond."
Phillipe was the fourth Duc de Magenta, descended from the Irish MacMahon family. He passed away in 2002. His great-grandfather,  Patrick MacMahon, the first duke fled Ireland after their land was confiscated under the Treaty of Limerick, began fighting for Napoleon and won a battle against the Austrians at Magenta, earning him the title of Duke and Marshall.
The MacMahons still live in Chateau de Sully, the largest of the Renaissance châteaux of southern Burgundy. Not to be confused with Château de Sully-sur-Loire, of Maximillien de Bethune & the ducs of Sully.

"Caption: Madame Jean Serpieris sits in the ballroom of the Tour La Reine in Athens, wearing a gown which belonged to the wife of Otho, first king of modern Greece, December 1961. The palace was built by Otho in 1840."

"Caption: 1984, Donna Stefanella Vanni Calvello di San Vicenzo in the Hall of Mirrors at her family's palazzo in Palermo, Sicily. The focal point of Sicilian Belle-Epoque society, this eighteenth-century palazzo has been compared with Versailles."

"Caption: 1984, Donna Anna Monroy di Giampilieri in the early-Empire drawing room of the Villa Spedalotto, near Palermo, Sicily"

"Caption: 1960: Donna Domitilla Ruspoli in the gallery of the Palazzo Ruspoli in Rome. The giant frescoes are from the 17th century."

The ancient terracotta rooftops of the ancient village of Castello di Gargonza.
A restoration project of Count Roberto and Countess Maria Teresa Guicciardini Corsi Salviati (pictured).

Bonuses of the "can't really see the bricks from the house" category:

"Caption: Princess Bianca Hanau-Schaumburg at her Gstaad chalet, 1985"
The princess currently works as an interior designer. Born in Trofeiach Castle, Austria. Married Prince Heinrich von Hanau of the Hessen house. Currently living and working out of Marbela, which probably explains the tan. Her professional website here

"Caption: Hanging out at Ira Furstenberg’s new Porto Rotondo villa, 1968"
L-R: "Duchess Ines Torlonia, who has a successful antique jewelry business", "Signoria Gancia, an English friend (reclining)", "Marina Lante della Rovere, a fashion model", "Patrick Lichfield, 5th Earl of Lichfield"

"Caption: Duchess of Anhalt"

--via Photographers' Gallery / Vanity Fair

Mille

Gigantic Member

Denmark Denmark

Meary at the beach

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »

These photos are so disturbingly arrogant and showing off exorbitant luxury - it´s ridiculous...I have no words. Eeeewwww...

I´m just glad that the Duchess of Anhalt (in the last pic) isn´t lying on an ice bear fur Crap!!!

"She isn´t wearing ANYTHING", said a young child

The empress shuddered, for she knew that they were right, but she thought, "The procession must go on!" She carried herself even more proudly, and the chamberlains walked along behind carrying the train that wasn't there.

H.C. Andersen
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »

Vintage photography featuring the exteriors and interiors of the homes of some other royals/aristos/etc.
Photos by Slim Aarons.

"Caption: John Albert Edward Spencer Churchill, the 10th Duke of Marlborough (1897 - 1972) and his wife Mary relax on a bench in the grounds of Blenheim Palace, the family seat in Oxfordshire."

I love Blenheim Palace - that is a beautiful estate.

Sunninghill Park, used to house Prince Andrew and Co.

Does Prince Andrew now live in Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park?  

That's a nice place to live considering he once had a nice place (Sunninghill Park) that has gone to ruins now.  Nice little gift from Mummy which he took for granted so he gets Royal Lodge to make him feel better.  Sunninghill had 12 bedrooms!  

Sunninghill was nice but let's be honest - Edward's house is the most ostentatious.

Bagshot Park....57 room country estate.  

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »

Photos by Slim Aarons.

This is my all-time favorite photo of Blenheim, really showing its scope and grandeur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...nheim_Palace_panorama.jpg

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »

Photos by Slim Aarons.

This is my all-time favorite photo of Blenheim, really showing its scope and grandeur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...nheim_Palace_panorama.jpg

At first glance, the man in that picture looks like Walt Disney (MOO).

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: