Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexander II of Russia  (Read 2061 times)
Pippi of Awards

« on: April 25, 2011, 03:18:44 AM »

I am mostly interested in when he made a lot of traveling in Finland. There are some tourist attractions saved and conserved from the time he was sleeping a night during his tour. Look at this if you like have Finland as your destination.  Thumb up
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:08:05 PM »

Did Alexander II visit Finland in 1834 when he was taken on a six month tour of Europe?
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 02:25:35 AM »

Tsar Alexander II gave cigarettes to Turkish prisoners of war at Simnitza in the Russo Turkish War of 1877-1878.   
http://www.alamy.com/stoc...garettes-to-57293821.html
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:44:48 AM »

I am so conflicted about Alexander II. I know he accomplished a lot of good in his reign but I also know that he failed to bring about change soon enough to really help. And then his personal life was a horrible mess and he treated his wife so abusively by imposing his mistress on her which is unforgivable in my book. He was the last hope for Russia but it wasn't much of a hope IMO.
miliosr

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 02:33:37 AM »

I am so conflicted about Alexander II. And then his personal life was a horrible mess and he treated his wife so abusively by imposing his mistress on her which is unforgivable in my book.
Alexander II's relationship with Catherine Dolgorukaya produced a lively correspondence between Alexander's daughter-in-law, Marie Feodorovna, and her relations in Denmark. After Empress Marie Alexandrovna's death in 1880 (before which Alexander II had already decamped from the Winter Palace to be with Dolgorukaya at Tsarskoe Selo), King Christian IX of Denmark (Marie Feodorovna's father) wrote this to his daughter:

"That the good Emperor during her {Marie Alexandrovna's] fatal condition moved out to Tsarskoe was sad, and probably causes him pain now and will to his last moment."

To the contrary, Alexander II married Dolgorukaya less than two months after Marie Alexandrovna's death. much to the dismay of the entire Imperial family. Marie wrote this to her mother, Queen Louise, on New Year's Day in 1881:

"[L]ast evening, when we attended a Te Deum in the little chuch, she [Dolgorukaya] came with her son, who made such a strange impression, for when we think back, the poor Empress was still alive and was in Cannes last year and now, less than half a year after her death, the new wife appears everywhere with the big children in front of everyone; this is probably the first example in the world, for if he [Alexander II] were not what he is, people would probably never have tolerated such things!"

One week later, Marie Feodorovna wrote her mother again:

"Here everything is going forward slowly but systematically, so that we cannot calculate how things will be in six months; nothing would amaze me any longer, I assure you."

(What Marie Feodorovna was alluding to was the very real possibility that Alexander II would crown Dolgorukaya as Empress of Russia.}

*All selections taken from the 1997 volume, Marie Feodorovna - Empress of Russia.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 03:00:55 AM by miliosr » Logged
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »

I do believe I read something to the effect that Alexander II disliked his son and heir greatly, especially the larger family resisting strongly his relationship with Katya.  They deeply resented her being thrust into their lives.

Again, this is my recall of a book I read about a decade ago, but there was a meal - perhaps an Easter or other holiday meal which was a command performance - in which Alexander’s two families were present.  The Emperor began a conversation with his son with Katya, Prince George Alexandrovich Yuryevsky; asking “wouldn’t you like to be a Grand Duke?  You are my son, you should be a Grand Duke”.  The clear message to his first family was - fall in line, accept Katya, or I as autocrat will change your lives for the worse.

Now I have to go find the reference that I’m spouting about here.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: