Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BRF Weddings  (Read 27048 times)
Oh_Caroline

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »

I think much will depend on the mood of the country, and the role and popularity the of the monarchy at the time. I don't think the rules should be written in stone, at least in this case. While I cannot say for sure about Louis, Princess Charlotte may well rank enough to have a Westminster wedding. Or she may not want one. Nonetheless, it would be great to see her arrive at the church in the same Cinderella like coach used for royal brides - I've looked but I can't fine the name for it - someone here will know, I am sure.

Diana arrived in a glass coach, and they left in a State Landau (which is the open one I think you are thinking of?). The enclosed glass coach helped keep her dress “hidden” until she emerged at the cathedral.

The glass enclosed coach is the one I was thinking of. It's gold, and there is also a black and gold enclosed carriage too. I've seen both used to carry HM and the DoE to the State opening of Parliament. That gold coach just added to the fairy tale element of Charles and Diana's wedding.

The Glass Coach is so cute...and the traditional BRF bridal coach...according to royal.uk is was used for...QEQM in 1923, Queen Elizabeth in 1947, Princess Alexandra in 1963, Princess Anne in 1973, Lady Diana in 1981, and Sarah in 1986.  And I'm pretty sure it was used for Princess Margaret in 1960.  Though I do like how Sophie, Kate, and Meghan arrived in cars and left in carriages...commoner to royal effect and all.  And of course for Beatrice since it's 4ish miles from Royal Lodge to St. George's a car was much more practical.

For HM and the DOE and Parliament they've used the Irish State Coach and the Diamond Jubilee State Coach*...among others.

*Probably the one you're thinking of as it has the most gold after The Gold State Coach which is only used for coronations and jubilees.
Lady Liebe

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »

Yes, I did more checking and revised my post . . . . The've a lot of carriages.
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »

Right up to this generation, it was common for the younger children of the monarch to have important cathedral 'state' type weddings. Pss Margaret had one  when when marrying the unsuitable Antony Armstrong-Jones, as did Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson and  Princess Anne and Mark Phillips. I believe the Windsor chapel wedding was Edward's idea, not imposed upon them from outside pressure.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 01:46:29 AM »

I could see Charlotte having a Westminster wedding. Judging by how her family is with her, she's the favorite and will get whatever she wishes!

I recall in 2011 there was talk about the coaches being used for Kate, but they wanted to tone things down and say it's a semi state wedding so William could have his tantrum about the guest list and cut dignitaries and foreign royalties, while the taxpayer still picked up the tab.

I also don't know if the glass coach would look as nice going to Westminster Abbey as it did to St Paul's!

They are all absolutely amazing works of art. I was gobsmacked by looking at them in person at the Royal Mews.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 02:13:15 AM »

It was in the Irish State Coach that Princess Elizabeth and her father, King George VI travelled in to Westminster Abbey on her wedding day.
Oh_Caroline

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »

It was in the Irish State Coach that Princess Elizabeth and her father, King George VI travelled in to Westminster Abbey on her wedding day.

Opps I miss read...The Glass Coach took Elizabeth & Philip (and Anne and Mark) back from the Abbey.   Thanks Cyril.  Sweating

https://www.royal.uk/wedding-carriages
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »

I could see Charlotte having a Westminster wedding. Judging by how her family is with her, she's the favorite and will get whatever she wishes!

I recall in 2011 there was talk about the coaches being used for Kate, but they wanted to tone things down and say it's a semi state wedding so William could have his tantrum about the guest list and cut dignitaries and foreign royalties, while the taxpayer still picked up the tab.

I also don't know if the glass coach would look as nice going to Westminster Abbey as it did to St Paul's!

They are all absolutely amazing works of art. I was gobsmacked by looking at them in person at the Royal Mews.
Considering that Charlotte is still a Baby Girl and has a long way and life ahead of her before she should even consider getting hitched, it is quite feasible and imaginable that she might take a flying cab to take her to the ceremony on Mars..who knows?  Icecream

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »

Haha  Yes, who knows what the future holds..
Athena

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »

"In keeping with tradition, the princess [Margaret] made the short journey from Clarence House to Westminster Abbey in the Glass Coach..."

https://www.townandcountr...-wedding-to-lord-snowdon/

A film of the wedding was shown in cinemas shortly afterwards and I remember, as a child then, being struck by the fairytale-sounding name of the Glass Coach  
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 03:06:36 AM »

Opps I miss read...The Glass Coach took Elizabeth & Philip (and Anne and Mark) back from the Abbey.   Thanks Cyril.  Sweating

https://www.royal.uk/wedding-carriages

Oh-Caroline, That is fine that you misread.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 02:49:11 AM »

Do you think that St. Stephen Wolbrook Church might be used for a royal wedding? The church was the venue for the wedding of Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones and Daniel Chatto.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 02:16:07 AM »

I like the fact that the wedding of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Katharine Worlsey took place at York Minster in York, England. This was the first royal wedding held in York Minster since Edward III and Queen Philippa.
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »

The Duchess of Kent was born in York, so they married in her gome county Smiley

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 03:43:37 AM »

The wedding of Elizabeth Stuart, the daughter of King James I, and Frederick V, Elector Palatine of the Rhine was held on St. Valentine's Day in 1613 at the Chapel Royal at the Palace of Whitehall in London. Elizabeth was dressed in a white satin gown with diamonds sewn upon the sleeves. She wore a gold crown with pearls and diamonds.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: