Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denmark to re-impose border controls  (Read 7353 times)
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »

Denmark, one of the Schengen states, is to re-impose controls on its frontiers with Germany and Sweden within weeks, amid pressure from the right.

Finance Minister Claus Hjort Frederiksen said customs booths would be erected at crossings, as well as at harbours and airports.

Insisting the controls were compatible with Schengen membership, he blamed a rise in cross-border crime.

A populist right-wing party allied to the government had called for the move.

The Danish People's Party (DPP) and its leader Pia Kjaersgaard argued controls would counter illegal immigration and organised crime.

The Schengen Agreement, which dates back to 1995, abolished internal borders, enabling passport-free movement between a large number of European countries.

Denmark joined in 2001 along with other Scandinavian countries.

'Within Schengen limits'
"We have reached agreement on reintroducing customs inspections at Denmark's borders as soon as possible," Mr Hjort Frederiksen told reporters in the capital Copenhagen.

The new controls would, he said, enter into force within two to three weeks.

Because Denmark is a Schengen member, it cannot reinstate full frontier controls and the minister said the new measures would "take place within the limits of Schengen".

"Over the past few years we have seen an increase in trans-border crime, and this is designed to curb the problem," he said.

"We will be building new facilities at the Danish-German border, with new electronic equipment and number-plate identifiers."

He said he wanted Danish customs officers to be permanently present at the Oeresund Bridge border crossing between Denmark and Sweden.

The border controls were negotiated by the DPP in return for supporting the government's pension reform.

"It has to be something that works," DPP deputy leader Peter Skaarup was quoted as saying by Denmark's Politiken newspaper.

"A strengthening of customs controls in which there is a permanent customs officer presence. There must also be extra funds for the police so that those caught in customs controls can be arrested."

The newspaper notes that the use of customs officers would be a way of getting around the Schengen rules, as checks would be random.

According to Politiken, the DPP also reached a "gentleman's agreement" with the government that Denmark would support a Franco-Italian proposal for changes to the Schengen Agreement itself.

Denmark's ruling coalition of liberals and conservatives relies on the DPP's support to pass legislation in parliament.

The country must hold its next general election by this November.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13366047

tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »

This is good, Europe must finally wake up to mass immigration. Ireland stayed out along with England , in which to be honest we have the  English to thank for that, as our governments seem to roll over far to easy. Anti European feeling are getting stronger in all countries at the moment.
sinners23

Small Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »

Have to agree with tigerben in Ireland you can feel that start of anti-eu feeling.I think the next couple of years in Europe we are going to see countries protecting national interest and not caring for what Strassburg thinks.Denmark re-imposing border controls is only the start .

"For there is nothing either good or bad,thinking makes it so"
   William Shakespeare (1564-1616) Hamlet
Julchen

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »

Living near the Danish border I do not like the decision. It was great to "slip over" without any controls. All travellers and workers will suffer from longer waiting times while passing the border just because of some. It makes everyone kind of suspicous.
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

Living near the Danish border I do not like the decision. It was great to "slip over" without any controls. All travellers and workers will suffer from longer waiting times while passing the border just because of some. It makes everyone kind of suspicous.

Relax, it's not Germany they're after, but Malmö-Copenhagen. Both cities has serious issues with criminal gangs. Malmö I'd say has about 1 shooting/week and 1 bomb/fortnight, sometimes more than that. Today a man was shot in the head by a sniper - in the middle of the city, during daytime, yesterday the whole city was woken up by a huge bomb. This decision was a part of a deal, Dansk Folkeparti and Pia Kjaersgaard has used Malmö as a horror example for a long time (mainly concerning immigration), and been used by the Swedish social democrats as a horror example herself. The mayor in Malmö is a Social democrat and this is simply a political gesture against Sweden. DF are very strict about immigrations, while Malmö is known as "little Baghdad" (Swedes are a minority). And lets not forget that the terrorists that were to strike against JP/Berlingske would have crossed the bridge. Also the "Swedish" mafia has committed some very serious crimes in Denmark. The snowball was put in motion when a Swedish adopted man, who was forced off the train because of his dark skin, was held back because he didn't have his passport. This is a continuation of that quarrel, but I think Denmark has thought about doing this earlier.
That's the pudels kern  Yes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:59:14 PM by Idun » Logged
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »

I am so embarrased and annoyed by this. The Danish People's party is just about the largest blemish on Denmark that we have ever had IMO. I am ashamed.
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »

I am so embarrased and annoyed by this. The Danish People's party is just about the largest blemish on Denmark that we have ever had IMO. I am ashamed.

Thanks Maria - I AGREE!!! I couldn´t agree more in fact. I am so sick and tired of them, I have no words.

SEXY,SEXY!!!
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »

Yes, to use this guy to impose boarder controls isn't very good. But Fremskrittspartiet has done field trips to this city too, so it's not only Dansk Folkeparti. Isn't there an election coming up? We'll have a new one soon (Riksdagsvalet had to be re-done in some parts)  Yes
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

Yes, to use this guy to impose boarder controls isn't very good. But Fremskrittspartiet has done field trips to this city too, so it's not only Dansk Folkeparti. Isn't there an election coming up? We'll have a new one soon (Riksdagsvalet had to be re-done in some parts)  Yes

Yes, we'll have an election soon, maybe even in a very short time. The problem is (IMO) that the current government has let the DF take over the way political settlements are made. So everytime they've done something - be it social, economical, whatever - the DF has been given "something" concerning non-Danes. Now, I personally don't think that problems with refugees and non-Danes should be ignored but the way it has been handled is just.. so beneath whay I myself think is Danish. We've gotten more laws, more regulations, more state-control.. not much freedom or personal choice for the individual. Pretty tragic considering that we've had a liberal pm since 2001!
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »

It is a bit strange that they've had so much influence. I guess it'll only increase after Sannfinländarnas success. But immigration is their most important, and in some cases, only issue, and efterlönnen was a big deal. Even S was trying to bribe them for that one? I think the Danish liberals are also quite conservative, but I don't know what to think about the rest, I'll follow the elections though and it will be interesting  Yes

Swedish newspaper wrote;
"Dansk Folkeparti, det invandrarkritiska partiet i Danmark under ledning av den karismatiske Pia Kjaersgaard."  Blink
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »

As someone who believes in th EU this worries me. Ultimately it is upto Denmark to decide what it thinks is best for them. However I think they've set a worrying precedent.

As somebody who has been targeted before by Danish/Swedish immigration officers I do worry about the impact this will have on other minorities.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

It is a bit strange that they've had so much influence. I guess it'll only increase after Sannfinländarnas success. But immigration is their most important, and in some cases, only issue, and efterlönnen was a big deal. Even S was trying to bribe them for that one? I think the Danish liberals are also quite conservative, but I don't know what to think about the rest, I'll follow the elections though and it will be interesting  Yes

Swedish newspaper wrote;
"Dansk Folkeparti, det invandrarkritiska partiet i Danmark under ledning av den karismatiske Pia Kjaersgaard."  Blink

The horrible thing is that there are so many, who finds her that Nerves Nerves Nerves I cannot stand her. She has soiled the flag, the country, how to be Danish. But I guess there are many of those Danes out there: those who fear change, who fear what is new, who fear everything south and east of the border and who has (and that is of course fair enough) lost their job to a cheap worker from Eastern Europe. Now the thing is, that the problem is not and never has been people. It how the economy runs, it's what is decided in Bruxelles, it's what happened after 9/11, it's just life. You can't roll back time and get the idyllic 50's back (or whatever time they think was perfect). What is happening is not happening because of poor refugees or immigrants from Turkey or Pakistan. I think ALL of the other parties have failed massively by not doing something before the rightwing parties could gain so much momentum. Obviously that's not even just a Danish problem - it's in Norway, Sweden, Finland... very sad Sad
lupina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »

Totally, agree with you Maria, totally  Yes

lupina

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss

The other RD - http://richarddawkins.net/
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »

As someone who believes in th EU this worries me. Ultimately it is upto Denmark to decide what it thinks is best for them. However I think they've set a worrying precedent.

As somebody who has been targeted before by Danish/Swedish immigration officers I do worry about the impact this will have on other minorities.

It's not only Denmark, but France and Italy as well. Of course the situation is extreme right now, with boats arriving to Italy on daily basis and 20-30 000 immigrants on Lampedusa only. Finland will probably do something too, it's still very close to the election. And then there's the financial disaster in Greece ... I don't know if Europe will survive this crisis  No
winx

Humongous Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »

Denmark to re-impose border controls!!! Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking

Coincidence.....Daisy is just making sure that after she close the door behind Mary's butt she won't try to get back along with The Slurpsons 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: