Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denmark to re-impose border controls  (Read 7352 times)
sinners23

Small Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »

Italy being so close to Libya I thought they would be the ones starting border controls.With the recession it is awful to say but the first thing that politicians go with is immigration.In the 1950's in London it was no blacks no dogs no irish.I think we might be going back to this panic again and more insular societies.

"For there is nothing either good or bad,thinking makes it so"
   William Shakespeare (1564-1616) Hamlet
Flamingo

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »

Because Denmark is a Schengen member, it cannot reinstate full frontier controls and the minister said the new measures would "take place within the limits of Schengen".

I think this is a good idea, because in this age of terrorism nations need to be able to control their own borders and watch who comes in.  But I'm kind of confused - how is this within the limits of Schengen?  I don't know much about Schengen, but my basic understanding of it was that it pretty much said no border controls.
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »

Sinners23, totally, multi cultural has not work, integration should have being the key word, but that was a dirty word, no matter that people choose to come to a different country, whether through asylum  ( Ireland a island and not the first safe country to any one) or by choice, should be integrated and if they don't like it go some where else. The welfare state cannot cope with the demand in these recessionary times which is more in politicians minds, less money in the pot , high unemployment, raised working years, less money make people less tolerant.
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

I'm very pro EU but I think many mistakes have been done and they are difficult to correct.

I've always thought that Denmark and the EU has a strange relationship? They have an opt out clause so the country has to approve the EU regulations before it is valid for them. It's like they want to be in but at the same time they prefer to be out like the UK. If anyone can offer insight I would be grateful I've always been interested  Smiley

"You can never be too rich or too thin" - HRH The Duchess of Windsor Cambridge
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »

I'm very pro EU but I think many mistakes have been done and they are difficult to correct.

I've always thought that Denmark and the EU has a strange relationship? They have an opt out clause so the country has to approve the EU regulations before it is valid for them. It's like they want to be in but at the same time they prefer to be out like the UK. If anyone can offer insight I would be grateful I've always been interested  Smiley
The UK is different  in some ways though as European laws do take precedence which has caused major friction in the courts and in certain aspects of the rightwing press and within the Conservative Party.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
sinners23

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »

Sinners23, totally, multi cultural has not work, integration should have being the key word, but that was a dirty word, no matter that people choose to come to a different country, whether through asylum  ( Ireland a island and not the first safe country to any one) or by choice, should be integrated and if they don't like it go some where else. The welfare state cannot cope with the demand in these recessionary times which is more in politicians minds, less money in the pot , high unemployment, raised working years, less money make people less tolerant.
I agree 100% with you tigerben.In Ireland our politicians never thought of integration never came into their minds and what could happen as a result of non-integration.There was a discussion on radio about parents sending their children to Irish speaking schools because there are less children from other countries enrolled.It's a primary school would should start at.It's not as if the downturn happened overnight.

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »

I agree with your sentiment. However you're working on the assumption that immigrants will be benefiting from the welfare system when statistics show this is not the case. Moreover the issue of integration is all well and good but it seems in the current debate it places the onus solely on the immigrant.

Ghettoes and the like didn't spring up overnight, they have taken decades and generations to develop until we are now at the point where many EU countries find themselves with large immigrant (and natural born!) communities who lead very separate lives. Thirty, forty years ago successive Governments were perfectly happy to see immigrants come into the country and set up homes in their own little communities if it meant they didn't mix with the "indigenous" people at large. It's only now, several generations down the tracks that we are seeing the results of such a negative policy.

(JMO- no offence intended).

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
sinners23

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »

I agree with your sentiment. However you're working on the assumption that immigrants will be benefiting from the welfare system when statistics show this is not the case. Moreover the issue of integration is all well and good but it seems in the current debate it places the onus solely on the immigrant.

Ghettoes and the like didn't spring up overnight, they have taken decades and generations to develop until we are now at the point where many EU countries find themselves with large immigrant (and natural born!) communities who lead very separate lives. Thirty, forty years ago successive Governments were perfectly happy to see immigrants come into the country and set up homes in their own little communities if it meant they didn't mix with the "indigenous" people at large. It's only now, several generations down the tracks that we are seeing the results of such a negative policy.

God know I hope I did not offend you.Integration is up to us all not just immigrant's.We should embrace other cultures because it open up our mind's.My mother went to England in the 1970's to train as a social worker at the height of the I.R.A bombing's at some people were not very nice because see was Irish.Here in Ireland we have people who sponge of welfare when they could work,the majority of these are Irish.I have never cared if you are black white or purple,one thing I know is when we come down to it we are all born and die the same.Again I hope I did not offend you in any way I would not want to cause hurt.

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »

God know I hope I did not offend you.Integration is up to us all not just immigrant's.We should embrace other cultures because it open up our mind's.My mother went to England in the 1970's to train as a social worker at the height of the I.R.A bombing's at some people were not very nice because see was Irish.Here in Ireland we have people who sponge of welfare when they could work,the majority of these are Irish.I have never cared if you are black white or purple,one thing I know is when we come down to it we are all born and die the same.Again I hope I did not offend you in any way I would not want to cause hurt.
Not offended at all.  Smiley So please don't worry.

It makes me incredibly sad to think how badly the Irish were treated here in the past, as if we Brits didn't screw you over enough throughout history we treated you terribly when you came to our country. It's digusting.

sinners23

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »

Not offended at all.  Smiley So please don't worry.

It makes me incredibly sad to think how badly the Irish were treated here in the past, as if we Brits didn't screw you over enough throughout history we treated you terribly when you came to our country. It's digusting.
Thank you Little_star Hug

Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »

It bothers me to see the EU fraying like this and there is so often an unpleasant sub text when politicans talk about  immigration. We see it all the time here in Aus.
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »

Little star, no offence at all, here when issuing dole figures they break down, the countries that people are from so it easy to see.  Also in the last census , we know certain groups of immigrants were on welfare some in the 60% during the boom, as well of course of work shy lazy arse Irish, welfare from cradle to grave is seem a a entitlement to some. Any way my hubbies father ,all his uncles and aunts on that side moved to England in the 70, and my hubs was born there in the beautiful leamington spa, all his aunts and uncles still live there so England was good to them. Most of the older Irish living especially for women if their husbands worked in Ireland and paid stamps, are in titled to the Irish pension which is very good, so my hubs aunts after a hard working lives have now a good standard of life.
Julchen

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »

As far as I have read Denmark plans the border controls for all its borders- also at the Danish-German border. I thought the issue was brought up because of the EU's refugee problems. This problem would not be solved at the Danish borders. And I did not like the background where this idea came from (populistic party?). But this is only what the German media report. From this background I thought it would make muche more sense to strengenth the borders in Spain, Italy and Greece, etc...

Idun, I did not know about the high criminal rate in Malmö and Copenhagen. It is terrible! I have once read that many "Copenhagen-workers" live in Malmö because the rentals are lower there. Wouldn't it be a massive constriction for them?

I always thought that fighting terrorists and mafia is a cause of international police and secret service collaboration.

I did not want to sound upset in my post. My heast just beats "european" and I do not have any strong national feelings.  Smiley I like the ideas of the European Union. It may have disadvatanges but it also strengenth the positions of its members in the world imo.

Living near the Danish border I do not like the decision. It was great to "slip over" without any controls. All travellers and workers will suffer from longer waiting times while passing the border just because of some. It makes everyone kind of suspicous.

Relax, it's not Germany they're after, but Malmö-Copenhagen. Both cities has serious issues with criminal gangs. Malmö I'd say has about 1 shooting/week and 1 bomb/fortnight, sometimes more than that. Today a man was shot in the head by a sniper - in the middle of the city, during daytime, yesterday the whole city was woken up by a huge bomb. This decision was a part of a deal, Dansk Folkeparti and Pia Kjaersgaard has used Malmö as a horror example for a long time (mainly concerning immigration), and been used by the Swedish social democrats as a horror example herself. The mayor in Malmö is a Social democrat and this is simply a political gesture against Sweden. DF are very strict about immigrations, while Malmö is known as "little Baghdad" (Swedes are a minority). And lets not forget that the terrorists that were to strike against JP/Berlingske would have crossed the bridge. Also the "Swedish" mafia has committed some very serious crimes in Denmark. The snowball was put in motion when a Swedish adopted man, who was forced off the train because of his dark skin, was held back because he didn't have his passport. This is a continuation of that quarrel, but I think Denmark has thought about doing this earlier.
That's the pudels kern  Yes
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »

As far as I have read Denmark plans the border controls for all its borders- also at the Danish-German border. I thought the issue was brought up because of the EU's refugee problems. This problem would not be solved at the Danish borders. And I did not like the background where this idea came from (populistic party?). But this is only what the German media report. From this background I thought it would make muche more sense to strengenth the borders in Spain, Italy and Greece, etc...

Idun, I did not know about the high criminal rate in Malmö and Copenhagen. It is terrible! I have once read that many "Copenhagen-workers" live in Malmö because the rentals are lower there. Wouldn't it be a massive constriction for them?
I always thought that fighting terrorists and mafia is a cause of international police and secret service collaboration.
I did not want to sound upset in my post. My heast just beats "european" and I do not have any strong national feelings.  Smiley I like the ideas of the European Union. It may have disadvatanges but it also strengenth the positions of its members in the world imo.

No worries, my heart is European too  Beer
I think Denmark will control all of their borders, Denmark is used as a bridge for drug smuggling and I guess that comes from Holland, through Jylland. But the main issue here is definitly Malmö, but they can't say it out loud and just increase the controls here. Many Danes live in Malmö, but some of them leave now, and the rest of them won't be stopped in controls. They're not after Swedes or Danes, but the controls will focus on immigrants and foreigners. It was the DF that wanted these controls  Wink Malmö is a dangerous city (yesterday; two shootings, in the city, one dead, 1 harmed in a bomb attack and 4-6 arson fires), it's the worst city in Sweden, along with Gothenburg (two shootings this week, one execution, and a couple cases of arson). Stockholm is much better  Angel
Just like these two cities, Copenhagen has had big problems with shootings and killings on daytime, in the heart of the city. IIRC some innocent persons were killed in Copenhagen too, not so long ago.
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »

Hand on heart, Bar the politicians, I don't think you would have any Irish person saying their European, it's Irish, first and last. Maybe because we're an island... It is often said we're closer to Boston than Berlin!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: