Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denmark to re-impose border controls  (Read 7356 times)
sinners23

Small Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

Hand on heart, Bar the politicians, I don't think you would have any Irish person saying their European, it's Irish, first and last. Maybe because we're an island... It is often said we're closer to Boston than Berlin!

I agree tigerben.I do not think of myself as a European I am Irish,a citizen in a country that happen'es to be in the European Union.When I was young I remember my grandad hated the E.U,he always said that he remembered a time when there where British soldiers on the streets and did not want the country answerable outside forces.I think before the downturn the really was not an anti-eu feeling there is now and its vocal.I would hate for Europe to overrule the laws of Ireland

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:29:00 PM by sinners23 » Logged

"For there is nothing either good or bad,thinking makes it so"
   William Shakespeare (1564-1616) Hamlet
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »

Why didn´t they close the borders before Mosh came here.  Cry Crap

SEXY,SEXY!!!
Julchen

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »

No worries, my heart is European too  Beer
I think Denmark will control all of their borders, Denmark is used as a bridge for drug smuggling and I guess that comes from Holland, through Jylland. But the main issue here is definitly Malmö, but they can't say it out loud and just increase the controls here. Many Danes live in Malmö, but some of them leave now, and the rest of them won't be stopped in controls. They're not after Swedes or Danes, but the controls will focus on immigrants and foreigners. It was the DF that wanted these controls  Wink Malmö is a dangerous city (yesterday; two shootings, in the city, one dead, 1 harmed in a bomb attack and 4-6 arson fires), it's the worst city in Sweden, along with Gothenburg (two shootings this week, one execution, and a couple cases of arson). Stockholm is much better  Angel
Just like these two cities, Copenhagen has had big problems with shootings and killings on daytime, in the heart of the city. IIRC some innocent persons were killed in Copenhagen too, not so long ago.

Idun, these news really shocked me. Göteborg and Malmö being so dangerous; this was something I have never heard before. And Copenhagen as well. I am sorry it has come this far. So if they get the murderers with extended controls => Great!
Good to hear though that Stockholm is safe!

@tigerben. I am German. For us, even for young germans, it is (due to our history) very difficult to say "I am proud to be german!" I do not know anyone who would say this aloud. It is still a bit of shame on a "german national feeling". But most of us are really nice! Tongue And Germany is worth a journey.
Marianne
Banned
Small Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »

Julchen

Germany is such a wonderfull country to visit in the holidays  Grin

You can be proud of your counry - we all have a part of the same shame. Denmark was not any better. I'm well aware that Denmark closed the borders when immigrants was trying to escape in 1930'th.

As Denmark are trying to avoid the conventions in 2011.

(And actually it is not my impression that the criminal rate has increased in Copenhagen).
Louisa

Small Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »

As far as I have read Denmark plans the border controls for all its borders- also at the Danish-German border. I thought the issue was brought up because of the EU's refugee problems. This problem would not be solved at the Danish borders. And I did not like the background where this idea came from (populistic party?). But this is only what the German media report. From this background I thought it would make muche more sense to strengenth the borders in Spain, Italy and Greece, etc...

Idun, I did not know about the high criminal rate in Malmö and Copenhagen. It is terrible! I have once read that many "Copenhagen-workers" live in Malmö because the rentals are lower there. Wouldn't it be a massive constriction for them?

I always thought that fighting terrorists and mafia is a cause of international police and secret service collaboration.

I did not want to sound upset in my post. My heast just beats "european" and I do not have any strong national feelings.  Smiley I like the ideas of the European Union. It may have disadvatanges but it also strengenth the positions of its members in the world imo.

It isn't really border control per se, it's just customs inspections, people will still be able to pass the border without stopping, having to show their passport or anything like that but 1% or so will be pulled over for sample control. It will work exactly the same way the Swedish borders work now.
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »

Idun, these news really shocked me. Göteborg and Malmö being so dangerous; this was something I have never heard before. And Copenhagen as well. I am sorry it has come this far. So if they get the murderers with extended controls => Great!
Good to hear though that Stockholm is safe!

@tigerben. I am German. For us, even for young germans, it is (due to our history) very difficult to say "I am proud to be german!" I do not know anyone who would say this aloud. It is still a bit of shame on a "german national feeling". But most of us are really nice! Tongue And Germany is worth a journey.

I agree Julchen, saying "I'm proud to be Swedish" is a big no-no, but I like Europe, so I have no issue with being European The problems in Malmö are pretty old, even though it does seem to get worse every year (I am certainly not looking forward to the summers as things get worse). The reason people don't know or don't understand how bad it is because the politicians are in huge denial, and it's still promoted as the sweet town it was 30 years ago. Jews were warned to come here last year and told that if they're going here, they should be extremely careful (I've tried that a couple of times... Secret), and that speaks volumes about the situation.

Gothenburg has really gone crazy within the last 2-3 years, this spring has really been bad. There has been big arson fires throughout the entire city during april and may and "public executions" on streets and criminal fights. Concerning Copenhagen, I don't think it's unsafe, just that there has been open shootings in the city in the recent years, where innocent people were killed or harmed. I wouldn't be afraid to visit Copenhagen, but there are certainly areas in Malmö I would advice people to stay away from. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty city and it's nice in some ways and although there's a rather big risk that people are robbed, it's not like bombs go off every day, but safe it is not and things will soon be out of control I think. But Stockholm is still nice, at least as far as I know, I'm sure Victory can tell us about that. And it is a lovely city  Beer

Malmö so far this year, and I am pretty certain some things are missing on this list, people doesn't even bother to report things anymore  Thinking I think there was another explosion that woke up the city too, prior to the one now. I just googled some words to see what popped up, and only searched for shootings and bombs and stuff like that, there are much issues with robberies, threats, weapons, and such things too.  No

5/1 - a man is shot by persons hunting him
9/1 - Bomb explodes outside police station
11/1 -  another bomb explodes outside the same police station
17/1 - cars are burned down and the police and firefighters are attacked
17/1 - fireworks are fired towards cars driving
26/1 - grenade explosion, a hand grenade thrown at a house
13/2 - shooting, someone is trying to shoot a man
14/2 - a man is shot in the city, but survives
15/2 - two shootings in the city
17/2 - several cars are burnt down
17/2 - stones are thrown at busses
5/3 - shooting in a garage, central Malmö
8/3 - a man is shot in the city
12/3 - a boy is shot in his leg
13/3 - serious threats against the Jewish community
19/3 - shooting, someone is firing a weapon against a person
20/3 - shooting, someone is firing a weapon at a house
25/3 - shooting, man is shot in the stomach
4/4 - attack against the synagogue, stones were thrown through the windows
13/4 - robbery and shooting in central city
24/4 - fireworks thrown into an apartment, fire
27/4 - someone fires several times at a bus
30/4 - cars are burnt down
8/5 - someone tries to burn down a school, some other fires as well
9/5 - bomb explodes outside a hotel at Lilla Torg
9/5 - cars are burnt down
11/5 - man is shot in the head and killed in central city
11/5 - someone tries to burn down three schools in Malmö
11/5 - stones are thrown at a bus
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »

I like Malmö myself. We go there quite often - no doubt we're not in the critical areas but none the less, I've never not felt safe in the city.
I feel safe in Copenhagen too. There are certainly areas where I wouldn't like to be at night and there is/has been problems with gangs and shooting in certain areas but I don't think you can say that Copenhagen on a greater scale is an unsafe place to be. Like any large city Copenhagen has social problems with what follows. The leaders of Copenhagen - and the government - have not been very efficient dealing with these problems. So when lots of poor people with social problems are concentrated in a few ares and left along to rot = problems with crime.
sinners23

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »

Is Copenhagen dangerous?Looking to go for a week in mid-July

Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »

No, no, I don't think Copenhagen is unsafe, I like the city and never seen anything bad when I'm there. I'm sorry if it sounds as if C has this issues as well, I only mentioned the big robbery that took place some years ago (Swedish gangsters) and the one shooting that wounded or killed someone innocent. But as I said, that's the only things I know of and I visit it quite often Beer

Malmö certainly has some nice sides, good night life and I think it is a good mix in the city. That I like. But it can't make it up for the crimes for me. Of course it's likely because I've seen some of these things very close and the fact that no one cares about it, it's just hopeless  Crap
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »

No, I don't think so. But there are places one should avoid going alone at night.
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »

No, it's a nice city. The only thing tourists should remember is to keep an eye on their wallets, but that is something you should think about in every major city. Enjoy your visit Beer

I think I should stop writing here before I scare everyone away  Blush
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

No, it's a nice city. The only thing tourists should remember is to keep an eye on their wallets, but that is something you should think about in every major city. Enjoy your visit Beer

Well, since we only get to see the nice things in Malmö, it's good with a reminder of how it is to live there Smiley We only go around the center of the city - we get of the train at Centralstationen and get on it at Trianglen, so what have we really seen of Malmö
sinners23

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »

Do not worry you are not scaring .Its nice to have opinions of people who know what a place is like.Instead of just going by the guidebooks. Thumb up

Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »

I think I should stop writing here before I scare everyone away  Princess frog2

Well, since we only get to see the nice things in Malmö, it's good with a reminder of how it is to live there Smiley We only go around the center of the city - we get of the train at Centralstationen and get on it at Trianglen, so what have we really seen of Malmö

Gosh... I feel kind of bad for bashing the city. When I heard the sweet sound of "Triangeln" I got all sentimental  Blush Well, I do hope you see more of Malmö than Citytunneln and the Central station 

There certainly are many sides to it. Some of my friends has never had a problem and love it, others has been through some nasty things. But it's a difficult topic really, I for example has never had a problem when in Rosengård and felt safer there than in the central areas sometimes Smiley The recent "love letter" is what made it scary for me.
Citytunneln is a good thing, should be mentioned And I'm OT again Blush
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »

Julchen,  Star being to Germany with work, and it was lovely, the only think I found strange was the autoban? The speed of the cars wow!, and no hedges between fields. But to add no country has a total clean history, do you know Ireland sent condolences to Germany on the death of hitler, really Shocked and after the war church hill on the radio , tore de Valera and Ireland to shreds, now I would not be a de Valera fan at all but his rebuttal speech was totally great....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: