Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death sentence for gay men being discussed in Uganda  (Read 4186 times)
irishthanhy

Medium Member

United States United States

I think I'll need a stiff drink.

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »

Maybe you've heard about this before.

The Daily Maverick.
Christian Science Monitor.
Ga Uganda Blog.

-Le Phuong Thanh
*All opinions expressed above are mine and are subject to human error.*
*Never underestimate my ability to turn anything into a graphic.*

You've probably never heard of it.
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »

I've heard about it, it's completely disgusting and insane   Ranting with all the wars and fighting in the world, they focus on killing people who love someone else... Roll Eyes
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »

Honestly I seem to have a black mood day, but tolerance is a virtue that apparently is non existing in humans. Sometimes we are less violent in "persuading" people to accept that our opinion is indeed the only valid one. Sometimes people are less patient and more "determined".
I am very sarcistic here.
But really? There is no religious freedom, there is tolerance against sexual orientation, skin colour is of huge importance as is race.
To go after gays is just another step on that road to "you have to be a spitting image of the norm that I determine" you just kill or get rid of everybody that is not of the same religion, race, skin or whatever colour and that does not share the same cultural, political and ethical values.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Cara

Humongous Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »

anyone that cares can sign the petition.

http://avaaz.org/en/ugand...stop_homophobia_petition/
irishthanhy

Medium Member

United States United States

I think I'll need a stiff drink.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks for posting that.  I thought I included it.   Blush

-Le Phuong Thanh
*All opinions expressed above are mine and are subject to human error.*
*Never underestimate my ability to turn anything into a graphic.*

You've probably never heard of it.
BWpunisher

Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

HRH Clown Prince Dumbledork of Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »

I "signed" it just now.

BRF Section Trolls:
DowntownTO

Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »

I just signed that petition - thanks for posting the link.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

This has been in the news quite alot here, especially after a Ugandan asylum seeker won the right to a case review
http://www.pinknews.co.uk...-seeker-wins-case-review/

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
abs

Humongous Member

Svalbard and Jan Mayen Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Illegal substances? MOI???!!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »

Thanks for the link. It is nice to see that the signatures come streaming in, almost one every second! From all over the world.  Grin

SEXY,SEXY!!!
Cara

Humongous Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:25 PM »

Uganda's parliament has adjourned without debating a controversial bill which includes the death penalty for some homosexual acts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13392723

CD.

Humongous Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »

I don't see what the problem with homesexuality is really. Am I gay? No. But I can't tell anyone else how to live their life...............

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and military consequences of the lie.The truth is the greatest enemy of the State"

J Goebbels
Cara

Humongous Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »

Uganda's reviled anti-gay bill, which mandates the death penalty in some cases, remains in limbo after parliament adjourned without a debate.

Edward Ssekandi Kiwanuk, the parliamentary speaker, ruled there was no time to take up the bill this session. He has adjourned the parliament and set no date for its return.

A source close to proceedings said parliament could technically come back between now and 17 May but most MPs were leaving for their constituencies. Bills not completed in the old parliament are wiped and must be resubmitted.

Helen Kawesa, spokeswoman for parliament, told Associated Press that the anti-gay bill could come back up for debate in the next parliament but would probably take time to get back to the floor. David Bahati, the MP who authored the bill, had said he would try to move it forward in the next session if it was not voted on this time.

Opponents of the legislation welcomed the setback. Alice Jay, campaign director of the online group Avaaz, said: "The news that the brutal anti-gay law won't be discussed in parliament today is a victory for all Ugandans and people across the world who value human rights.

"This vile bill is a matter of life and death for gay Ugandans, and would have seen the execution, imprisonment and persecution of friends of Avaaz, and thousands of others who have committed no crime at all. We must now ensure this heinous bill can never return to parliament again."

Christopher Senyonjo, a retired Ugandan Anglican bishop, said: "This was a dangerous bill and there is a lot of tension and riots in the country. We feared that they may use this opportunity to do anything to anybody.

"This bill must never see the light of day as the mob could use this to inflict terrible crimes against people. The pressure from people around the world has had a big impact and the resulting influence from the international community has played a very important role in stopping this going forward today."

Kakoba Onyango, a member of parliament, told Associated Press the anti-gay bill had taken so long because President Yoweri Museveni did not back it and human rights groups had criticised it. The US state department this week described it as "odious" and said it should never be passed in any form.

Human Rights Watch said in recent days a parliamentary committee had recommended passage of the bill and retained the death penalty "aggravated homosexuality". It added criminal penalties for "conduct[ing] a marriage ceremony between persons of the same sex".

Graeme Reid, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) programme at Human Rights Watch, said: "It should be scrapped. The committee's recommendations fall wholly short of making this a bill worth parliament's time.

"Even if these suggestions are taken on board the bill will remain discriminatory, a profound threat to Uganda's LGBT community and put Uganda at odds with its fundamental human rights obligations."

http://www.guardian.co.uk...nda-anti-gay-bill-shelved

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »

However if they do not discuss this issue, how will maltreatment and outlawing of gays ever stop? So right now the death penalty is off the table, which is not only good but IMO a blessing, but how safe are homosexuals when the bill can be put on next time? Isn't it likely that the persecution simply goes on, gays are detained and abused and the persecutors simply wait for the offical legality?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
DowntownTO

Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 02:34:32 AM »

Exactly, fairy. For the foreseeable future that dreadful bill will keep coming back and back and back. There's a lot of public education to do on the subject. When the majority of the people of Uganda learn that the terrible things they've been told about what lesbians and gay men are like are lies, they'll drop that bill for good, but that time is a long way off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: