Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marie & Joachim's Wedding anniversary  (Read 35434 times)
lyndell75

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »

How long was her veil and train?

The train was 3 meters long (9ft 10in) according to orderofsplendor : https://orderofsplendor.b...iday-princess-maries.html

No idea about the veil but it's probably a bit longer than the train according to the pictures.
So beautiful especially from the sides

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2017, 02:54:41 AM »

awwwww 

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:28 AM »

I don't really like how Marie looked at her wedding. The gown is very very conventional. You can find patterns of similar styles in stores. I like the tiara and the veil but they're ruined by the big bun on her head. I don't know why all Danish royal women favor BIG updo. She looked like she had a beret on her head. I guess it's an indicator of her style till these days: very conventional and very boring, IMO.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »

Mary had a big bun.

Marie had rather an intrical hair do. Although I don't like how it looks form the front, the side-view, and rear-view are beautiful, IMO.

it was a similar if not identical style updo like here, just veiled and bit poofier in front to fasten the veil and tiara

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »

I guess it's some royal tradition to have those poofie updo's when wearing a tiara

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

I guess it's some royal tradition to have those poofie updo's when wearing a tiara

Well sort of. It is to give some backdrop for the tiara so it will look better and stand out from the background. Most tiara knowledgeable hair stylists know this (and how to position the tiara in a correct way) but sadly the craft is disappearing. And if you lift the hair to form a backdrop for the tiara, you're going to need to do something with the rest of the hair (unless you want to do a 60s style hairdo or a Beatrix hairdo), so an updo is the way to go. Of course this is not always done because with huge big upright tiaras it would look ridiculous.

Small comparison to explain what I mean.

Marie almost always has hair lifted to create a backdrop.

Snakey and no backdrop for the tiara (it might have actually looked better if there was). The light goes straight through it.

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »

Here is from the front. A BIG pile of hair (probably not her actual hair). The tiara was almost invisible from a distance because of it. It looks like as wide as a beret.
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »

^ Funnily it was styled to do the exact opposite.

Found a better comparison pic to illustrate what I meant.

Invisible tiara versus tiara with backdrop.

And now I will scurry along with my off topic... Sorry about that!

Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

That undo look is lovely with a fine neck. With a bull neck - not so much!
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »

Ok, so I'm not a huge Marie fan, but I liked her wedding look.... I think it acknowledged the fact that, although it was her first marriage, it was Jokke's second, and he'd done the big "royal" wedding before.... her dress is certainly nicer than her sister-in-law, even if it is a little "ordinary"..... and understated does seem her style, so she probably went with what she felt comfortable in.

That veil seems quite problematic, it doesn't seem that anyone has really been able to position it with much success!
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »

Mosh's gown was an epic failure, IMO.  The fabric, while I'm sure was very luxurious and expensive, was way too heavy for that style.  The lace panels that the designer put in to it completely disappeared because of the heavy fabric.  The weird fold of fabric on the back made it look like she had stuffed a stiff wooden board to her back.  It did not look couture; it looked like it was homemade by someone's grandmother who sews for fun in her living room.  It was a really bizarre choice for a spring wedding. IMO, it is one of the worst royal gowns in the 21st century.  

Marie's gown looked rather ordinary.  It was yet another version of a design anybody could find on the rack at any bridal store anywhere in the world where western bridal gowns are sold.  However, that design, while ubiquitous, is beautiful.  It suited her perfectly.  It looked light, and feminine, and perfectly cut for her body type.  It wasn't overly conservative, a la Alexandra Berleburg or Tatiana Liechtenstein; but it also wasn't too terribly revealing.  It was perfect for a low-key springtime royal wedding.  

Marie's gown perfectly reflected Marie's personality.  It suited her.  Mosh's gown also perfectly reflected her personality-screamingly obvious expensive fabric; badly tailored, poorly executed and simply bizarre.  It was indeed perfect for her.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:16:47 PM by pixiecat » Logged
Royal Me!

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »

I think Mary's choice of fabric was fine for a crown princess royal wedding.
But both Mary and the designer were not thoughtful in how to use and accentuate it.
Piling it on definitely is not the way to make a gown "royal."
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »

I actually saw the gown and veil "in person" when it was displayed at Amalienborg shortly after the wedding.  The material was very soft ( they had a sample we could touch). It looked stately but not feminine. It looked heavy.
The thing at the back..the board... Was held to the gown by hook s and eyes.   It looked like the back of a kimono.  I guess they felt it was needed to be strong to pull the heavy train.  The "board"looked weird in person too.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »

Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2018, 12:57:26 AM »

It was a lovely wedding. And Marie didnít snipe at her bridesmaid, unlike Mosh.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: