Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now THIS was a BEAUTIFUL wedding dress!!!  (Read 22528 times)
tatty

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »

for my money the 2 most beautiful royal brides have been Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother who looked gorgeous in a simple but detailed medieval inspired gown and Princess Grace of Monaco who oozed glamour like no one else ever could hope to
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:59:14 PM by tatty » Logged

A_little_bird
Banned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »

Poor Marie Gabrielle  Cry

Yes, the dress was perfect  Smiley

Yes, she died very young. And losing 3 of her children. Sad
A_little_bird
Banned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

What do you think of her sisters dress the Queen of Belgium?

My favourite old Royal wedding dress was this of Stephanie of Belgium, later Crown Princess of Austria, Countess Lonyay

Itīs oldfashioned, but still aww

It's kind of a ghostly picture, I would just LOVE to see a picture of Elisabeth and Albert at their wedding. Theirs was a true love story. Smiley
The dress looks very beautiful, what I can make of it. Elisabeth actually was a very fashionable Queen.
A_little_bird
Banned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »

4 of Marie Gabrielles 5 children died very young

Luitpold (1901−1914)
Irmingard Marie (1902−1903)
Daughter (*/† 1903)
Rudolf (1909−1912)

Just Albrecht (1905−1996) survived his parents. His son Franz is the current head of the family Wittelsbach. Albrecht had a dramatic life, too. From 1944 till the end of the war he and his family were in a concentration camp. Antonia of Luxembourg (the sister of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg) his stepmother never recovered from this.  Sad

Marie Gabrielle died with just 34 years because of a kidney disease.

Star back at you PeDe Smiley

I did not know of a fifth child. Even sadder.
leonardnancy14

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »

Wheew. Those pics, its perfectly full of elegance!

griet

Small Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »

I always disliked that Empress Elisabeth treated her so badly. Stephanie hadnīt an easy childhood and marries with just 17 into the Austrian court where the people found her ugly and plain. Elisabeth, always complained about her early days, should have helped her.
Well Sissi must have been a lunatic... Stephanie had the little luck that she was seldom in Vienna, since she travelled all the time. anyway this kind of behaviour (not helping the DIL having the same problems you had at your turn) reminds me the empress of Japan (what's her name?michiko?) towards that poor thing Masako... Nono
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »

lovely photos thanks for all the photos  Star

i can't follow the japanese royals, i admire and feel so sorry for masako  IMO she's prisoner and her husband is to blame, HE PROMISED her after she refused to marry him many times, that he would protect her and she would have a good life.  HE LIED  Real mad  (sorry off topic)

Stephanie of Belgium is my favorite dress also,  i think it looks old fashioned enough to be contemporary today, very detailed and fabulous (mabel and her love of bows would LOve it). she looks younger than 17 WOW i just can't imagine.

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
digitalkat

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

lovely photos thanks for all the photos  Star

i can't follow the japanese royals, i admire and feel so sorry for masako  IMO she's prisoner and her husband is to blame, HE PROMISED her after she refused to marry him many times, that he would protect her and she would have a good life.  HE LIED  Real mad  (sorry off topic)

Stephanie of Belgium is my favorite dress also,  i think it looks old fashioned enough to be contemporary today, very detailed and fabulous (mabel and her love of bows would LOve it). she looks younger than 17 WOW i just can't imagine.

HIH Masako's story is quite the tragedy. I do think the Crown Prince adores her, but it's extremely hard to protect her in a palace with courtiers as strict and relentless as those in the Japanese court. The Japanese Royal Court is one shrouded in millennia-old tradition and history, and they take those traditions extremely seriously. It wouldn't be quite fair to say he lied, honestly, I doubt he could protect himself much from the courtiers either. Japan's Courtiers have even taken over actual power in all but name throughout the past millennium, even going as far as marrying their daughters into the Royal Household as spies who reported periodically to their kinsmen about the monarch's life and mindset. It was only in the past century or so that the Royal Family of Japan regained their actual power from their warring lords and aristocrats. (Of course,  Japan became a democratic country after the war, but that's another story.)
Thousands of years of training in politics is not easy to fight against, the talent for scheming has become a part of their typical courtier's genes. It's simply a necessity to survive there. I really wouldn't blame the Crown Prince.

Btw, HIH Masako was dressed for her wedding in an elaborate traditional 12 layered Japanese Heian Era ceremonial gown that I thought was very exquisite.
Her tiara worn with her Western style wedding dress was also to die for.

This type of gown in ancient artwork:

[coeur / heart]

This word refers to all kinds of movements and
desires, but what is constant is that the heart is
constituted into a gift-object — whether ignored
or rejected.

--Roland Barthes, "Fragments D'un Discours Amoureux"
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »

Their wedding attire is a work of art. The craftsmanship required to design and create them is extraordinary.
gudgeon

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »

What do you think of her sisters dress the Queen of Belgium?

Oh, wow, MW the Queen of Belguim's picture looks like the bright of the living dead...her eyes seem to be white and the foggy surrounding, is like she's haunting somebody right out of her grave.

Stephanie of Belgium, looks like she is 12, do you know how old she was on her wedding day?

But both dresses look up to the latest fashion in those days, they are very interesting

thanks for all the pics  Thumb up Star

LOL, she does look like a ghost - too funny. Such a stern look on her face as well...doesn't look like she's too happy to be getting married.

I can't get over her tiny waist! I can't imagine having to wear a corset everyday. No wonder women were always fainting back then! Nuts.

My adventures in baking: http://bakedtoorder.blogspot.com/ 
gudgeon

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

lovely photos thanks for all the photos  Star

i can't follow the japanese royals, i admire and feel so sorry for masako  IMO she's prisoner and her husband is to blame, HE PROMISED her after she refused to marry him many times, that he would protect her and she would have a good life.  HE LIED  Real mad  (sorry off topic)

Stephanie of Belgium is my favorite dress also,  i think it looks old fashioned enough to be contemporary today, very detailed and fabulous (mabel and her love of bows would LOve it). she looks younger than 17 WOW i just can't imagine.

HIH Masako's story is quite the tragedy. I do think the Crown Prince adores her, but it's extremely hard to protect her in a palace with courtiers as strict and relentless as those in the Japanese court. The Japanese Royal Court is one shrouded in millennia-old tradition and history, and they take those traditions extremely seriously. It wouldn't be quite fair to say he lied, honestly, I doubt he could protect himself much from the courtiers either. Japan's Courtiers have even taken over actual power in all but name throughout the past millennium, even going as far as marrying their daughters into the Royal Household as spies who reported periodically to their kinsmen about the monarch's life and mindset. It was only in the past century or so that the Royal Family of Japan regained their actual power from their warring lords and aristocrats. (Of course,  Japan became a democratic country after the war, but that's another story.)
Thousands of years of training in politics is not easy to fight against, the talent for scheming has become a part of their typical courtier's genes. It's simply a necessity to survive there. I really wouldn't blame the Crown Prince.

Btw, HIH Masako was dressed for her wedding in an elaborate traditional 12 layered Japanese Heian Era ceremonial gown that I thought was very exquisite.
Her tiara worn with her Western style wedding dress was also to die for.

This type of gown in ancient artwork:

I feel so bad for her too, and for their daughter since I can't imagine she feels much love from the Emperor/Empress since she is a girl and not a boy (as if it's the child's fault or even her parents'!). It's always so strange how these courtiers - Japanese/British - can't see that their treatment of the person in question - Masako/Diana - is making things worse! I don't know her medical history (obviously) but I can't help but assume she would not have had such fertility problems if they had laid off her a little. How do these courtiers (who actually are they and how do they get their position?!) get to control so much? It seems so odd that they have so much power generation after generation.

In my heart I want to cut CP Naruhito a little slack because I do believe that he loves her. Hopefully things will get better for them now that the younger son has had a son.

Back to the topic, I wholeheartedly agree that her tiara and the traditional kimono are both gorgeous! I can't imagine how heavy that 12-layer kimono was...WOW. 

My adventures in baking: http://bakedtoorder.blogspot.com/ 
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »

HIH Masako's story is quite the tragedy.

ITA. I feel very sorry for her and for Naruhito. I feel even worse for their little girl, who I think is already well on the way to a life of emotional problems.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »

This really reminds me of a dress I tried on for my wedding in 1987. I loved it precisely because it was so Edwardian. But it was soooooooooo expensive. I eventually bought one that was 1/10th the price, and was very happy with it Icecream

Too bad I wound up not being as happy with my husband... Whistle
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 01:02:15 AM »

This veil was handmade for Princess Stephanie of Belgium for her wedding to Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria in 1881.     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/43206477646280456
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 08:34:50 PM »

Stephanie's gown was beautiful as well https://www.hellomagazine...ss-stephanie-bridal-look/. I thought it was the very best she's ever looked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: