Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Anne  (Read 217726 times)
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: August 16, 2020, 02:32:09 AM »

For Louise's names this was the BBC article when they were announced...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3240966.stm

Louise...because Sophie liked it and Louise of Hesse-Kassel as a fun coincidence (if I counted the generations right)

Alice...for Princess Alice of Battenberg (Philip's mother)

Elizabeth...for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (and The Queen...obviously)

Mary...for Sophie's mother
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: August 16, 2020, 03:46:39 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Louise in Anne's name comes from Queen Victoria's daughter Louise, who didn't die until 1939 and so was someone The Queen knew as a girl, just as the Arthur in Charles' name came from Prince Arthur who died in 1942 and again was someone the Queen knew personally.

Then there is Queen Louise of Denmark from whom both The Queen and Philip descend via Queen Alexandra and George I of the Hellenes ... the elder daughter and second son of Queen Louise.

There are so many Louise's on both sides of Elizabeth and Philip's families.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: August 16, 2020, 04:46:34 AM »

Princess Louise was an incredibly formidable, intelligent lady who is a great royal name-sake if you ask me! (I believe she was christened Louisa Alberta?)

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: August 16, 2020, 04:58:24 AM »

Princess Louise was an incredibly formidable, intelligent lady who is a great royal name-sake if you ask me! (I believe she was christened Louisa Alberta?)

I read that she was George V's favorite aunt and was every bit as salty as he was. She bragged to him that she rode the trolley and George asked her if she "strap hung"
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: August 16, 2020, 05:00:07 AM »

I love Louise stories. A lot of controversy surrounding her too but she lived her life, fought  for what was right (feminist!), and would be a fantastic namesake! She could be quite cruel though, especially to her baby sister Beatrice.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: August 16, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »

Anne should have been first, and inherited the throne, instead of chucky!

She has more backbone then him in anyday.

PS: this just an opinion.

G Smiley

Interesting thought!  Anne probably does have a stronger will than Charles- historically, she's not easily led, stubborn, and determined to get what she wants.  Obviously she doesn't "suffer fools gladly." These aren't bad traits but with her intransigence she might deal badly with PM's and other advisors. Charles has a streak of "non negotiable" in him as well but he seems somewhat more tractable, with an ingrained courtesy.  Much of being a constitutional monarch is listening and considering, weighing and measuring, to show empathy ... Anne would be the type of monarch who has her mind made up already.  Advisors would come away from dealings with her, having tried to make her see a different PoV, probably exhausted and eventually dispirited. 

One could argue too, that the differences between Charles and Anne were down to nurture and not all nature.  Charles was the victim (for lack of better word) of his father's determination to control how he was educated.  Anne was left alone and made her own decision to go to school.  Her ability to make decisions about herself was fostered, while Charles was compelled into a lot of places he didn't want to be (Cheam, Gordonstoun).  HE wasn't listened to (if he expressed his opinion) but Anne was.  As the heir, HE had to suck it up, "be a man" and do what he was told, while Anne had a lot more leeway to develop confidence & security.

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: August 16, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »

Anne should have been first, and inherited the throne, instead of chucky!

She has more backbone then him in anyday.

PS: this just an opinion.

G Smiley

Interesting thought!  Anne probably does have a stronger will than Charles- historically, she's not easily led, stubborn, and determined to get what she wants.  Obviously she doesn't "suffer fools gladly." These aren't bad traits but with her intransigence she might deal badly with PM's and other advisors. Charles has a streak of "non negotiable" in him as well but he seems somewhat more tractable, with an ingrained courtesy.  Much of being a constitutional monarch is listening and considering, weighing and measuring, to show empathy ... Anne would be the type of monarch who has her mind made up already.  Advisors would come away from dealings with her, having tried to make her see a different PoV, probably exhausted and eventually dispirited. 

One could argue too, that the differences between Charles and Anne were down to nurture and not all nature.  Charles was the victim (for lack of better word) of his father's determination to control how he was educated.  Anne was left alone and made her own decision to go to school.  Her ability to make decisions about herself was fostered, while Charles was compelled into a lot of places he didn't want to be (Cheam, Gordonstoun).  HE wasn't listened to (if he expressed his opinion) but Anne was.  As the heir, HE had to suck it up, "be a man" and do what he was told, while Anne had a lot more leeway to develop confidence & security.

Possibly, but it does not make a difference, does it, if they do not agree. The constitutional monarch has no power. I think they are kept informed as courtesy.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: August 16, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »

"Happy birthday HRH! Royal family releases three new portraits of Princess Anne resplendent in evening gowns and relaxing in the grounds of Gatcombe Park to celebrate her 70th
* The Princess Royal's 70th birthday has been marked with the release of three official photographs taken in February before the lockdown to celebrate the milestone
* Princess Anne is known for her no-nonsense approach to life and tenacious attitude, but in the images she is pictured smiling and looking relaxed at her Gatcombe Park home in Gloucestershire
* Wearing a Maureen Baker evening dress and Sue Palmer bolero jacket, the Queen's only daughter looks stylish as she poses for celebrated photographer John Swannell and smiles broadly while sat in a chair.

I have to respectfully disagree with those who say this dress is too young or too bridal for Anne.  White suits her beautifully.   I think this is an incredibly flattering photo and with her broad smile she looks young here, much younger than 70.

And good for her!  Wear whatever the eff you want at 70, 80, 90 ... isn't there a cute story about a short-sighted guest at a wedding mistaking the old Queen Mother for the wedding cake 😁 

I’m with you on this.  If white is off limits after a certain age or looks too bridal, then we also have to criticize the Queen for the same infraction and many times over!  She looks fantastic.  She takes a great deal after her father. 
sorry, but I must disagree. I dont like the elderly bride look on QEII or Camilla either. I understand that their are occasions such as the opening of Parliament, where formal white is traditional, but it's not the most flattering color on a woman of a certain age, IMHO. I also thing the jewels show better against a color. As you know, that's the most important part in my view!
Royal Me!

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: August 16, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »

Looking good at 70!!
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: August 17, 2020, 12:18:26 AM »

She looks great but I think she would have looked better in colour. 
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »

That’s for the answers SS , luvcharles and everyone!
So interesting all of the ins and outs!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:50:05 AM by cordtx » Logged
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: August 17, 2020, 01:26:09 AM »

For me the colour is not the problem but the dress (or at least the jacket of the dress) is not very nice.

I wonder how long is Anne's hair. To her shoulders?
Queen’s Tea

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: August 17, 2020, 02:06:51 AM »

She did wear color in the other two photos released with this one. 
kingcanut

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »

20 Rarely Seen Vintage Photos of Princess Anne  Thumb up

https://uk.news.yahoo.com...age-photos-220000335.html

"Think and let think".
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: August 25, 2020, 02:23:16 PM »

For me the colour is not the problem but the dress (or at least the jacket of the dress) is not very nice.

I wonder how long is Anne's hair. To her shoulders?

Almost 30 years ago it was a few inches past. I suspect it's the same length, she certainly hasn't changed her hairstyle since.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: