Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Languages....  (Read 15850 times)
kbart

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 01:27:14 AM »

Prince Joachim of Denmark speaks French, English, and German.

A shoutout to Prince Joachim whose English is beautiful. I haven't heard that much of it but his accent is excellent (he speaks British English). Much better than his brother's.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »

Charlene was born in Rhodesia (today Zimbabwe) in 1978. She is of German, English and Irish origin. The family relocated to South Africa in 1989, when Charlene was 11 years old. Charlene speaks English and has knowledge of French. But due to her origin I was wondering if she also masters or has knowledge of Afrikaans.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »

I've read reports that Mathilde's and Phillippe's Dutch is terrible. I don't know how accurate that is.

A very, very, very late reaction.

They have a relatively strong French accent, but they are still easy to follow in Dutch.

If I understood it correct Paola, the wife of King Albert II, was horrible in Dutch. There were even protests, a la that Paola had to learn Dutch / Flemish.

From an article of 1993 in a Dutch newspaper https://www.trouw.nl/nieu...%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.nl%2F:
Queen Paola has to learn Dutch, according to many Flemish people. It is an open secret that the new Belgian queen, wife of King Albert II, speaks bad Dutch.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2021, 12:33:08 AM »

After her honeymoon with Prince Leopold of Belgium, Princess Astrid of Sweden began studying French and Dutch.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:54 AM »

After her honeymoon with Prince Leopold of Belgium, Princess Astrid of Sweden began studying French and Dutch.

Which was expected, as these are 2 of the 3 official languages in Belgium (French; Dutch and German). But I would have expected she already knew some French, as it was the language franca for a long time amongst European royalty and nobility.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »

While English is nowadays the mean foreign language to learn for many people, back in the 19th century it wasn't.

Believe it or not, but for Empress Elisabeth and her sister Duchess Helene it was their secret language, which they spoke together, when they didn't want to be understood as nobody in their immediate circle of servants etc. knew it.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2021, 12:08:34 AM »

Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (King Leopold I of Belgium) learned to speak Russian fluently when he was in service of the Russian military of Tsar Alexander I of Russia.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2021, 01:15:58 AM »

Baron Andrey Korf noted: "His Majesty Tsar Nicholas I spoke to his guests in Russian, in French, in German or English."
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2021, 01:22:07 AM »

It may be a bit apocryphal, but I always enjoyed this quotation attributed to Holy Roman Emperor Charles V:  "I speak Latin to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse."
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2021, 02:28:47 AM »

It may be a bit apocryphal, but I always enjoyed this quotation attributed to Holy Roman Emperor Charles V:  "I speak Latin to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse."

That’s a great quote and if you substitute “car” for “horse”, is applicable today.
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2021, 08:57:47 AM »

Charlene was born in Rhodesia (today Zimbabwe) in 1978. She is of German, English and Irish origin. The family relocated to South Africa in 1989, when Charlene was 11 years old. Charlene speaks English and has knowledge of French. But due to her origin I was wondering if she also masters or has knowledge of Afrikaans.

Afrikaans was a compulsory second language when Charlene attended school in South Africa. The twins are apparently being taught Afrikaans and isiZulu in addition to French, English etc.  She was also interviewed by Huisgenoot, an Afrikaans publication within the last three years  - I am not certain whether the interview was conducted in Afrikaans but it was published in Afrikaans.

The Book Fairies are joining judges and contributors to the #HoldStill2020 project to mark the release of the beautiful book! We are leaving copies at places that gave us hope during lockdowns. #HSBookFairies #ibelieveinbookfairies
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »

Afrikaans was a compulsory second language when Charlene attended school in South Africa. The twins are apparently being taught Afrikaans and isiZulu in addition to French, English etc.  She was also interviewed by Huisgenoot, an Afrikaans publication within the last three years  - I am not certain whether the interview was conducted in Afrikaans but it was published in Afrikaans.

Interesting!  Do you know if they are learning Monagesque as well?  I've poked around a bit online and am finding differing information as to how widely spoken it is in Monaco.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: