Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George and Marina, the Duke & Duchess of Kent  (Read 10055 times)
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »

George and Marina

(source: KarlandZita from AP Forum)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ina_of_Greece_and_Denmark
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ince_George,_Duke_of_Kent

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »

Thank you for the photos. I've always been intrigued by this couple since I watched "The Lost Prince."
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »

From "The people's king: the true story of the abdication" by A. Susan Williams:

Lady Hamilton suspected that Elizabeth, the Duchess of York, might not like this enthusiasm for Marina (when she was new in the BRF). She had heard that Elisabeth´s hairdresser "reports the Duchess as being in a "tres mauvais humeur". I wonder! She always looks so sweet." Certainly the sheer beauty of Marina, Duchess of Kent - like the elegance of the pin-thin Wallis - contrasted with the more fussy and pretty appearance of Elizabeth.

You´re welcome TLLK!  Beer
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

With Benny of Denmark

SkyStar

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »

Younger members of the "Firm", this is how to keep it classy take note.  Thumb up
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »

From "The people's king: the true story of the abdication" by A. Susan Williams:

Lady Hamilton suspected that Elizabeth, the Duchess of York, might not like this enthusiasm for Marina (when she was new in the BRF). She had heard that Elisabeth´s hairdresser "reports the Duchess as being in a "tres mauvais humeur". I wonder! She always looks so sweet." Certainly the sheer beauty of Marina, Duchess of Kent - like the elegance of the pin-thin Wallis - contrasted with the more fussy and pretty appearance of Elizabeth.

Marina looked down on her "common" sisters-in-law the Duchesses of York and Gloucester.  So that would hardly engender any warmth from Elizabeth.

Also, the Queen Mother detested three members of the "Family": Edwina Mountbatten, Marina, and Wallis.   All three women were very chic and very sophisticated, and thin.  Cookie was none of that.

A royal biographer once wrote that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother only began to like Marina after the latter's death.
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »

I do think to this day the Kent branch of the family is elegant and stylish. Alexandra, Ella and Helen are all beautiful looking and the earl of St Andrews  daughters look on course to be stunners as well, along with Alexandras granddaughters .Marina was Prince Philips first cousin and he was a frequent visitor to Coppins.Give me the old style royals any day
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »

I think Elizabeth was a very vain person, she absolutely loved the limelight and the adoration and was very apprehensive of any sort of rivalry.
When she appeared on the scene she was the star, Wallis was completely out of the question, a relationship with her had never been possible above the mistress level. Sister-in-law Mary (Lascelles) was rather dull and as remote as her mother, no other competition for Elizabeth, who was the shining star of the royal family.
Then Marina appeared, and she wasn't only a great beauty, but she was royal to boot. Heavens who wouldn't have hated her?   Wink

I don't think they had much to do with another in earlier times, but I have always thought it was a shame the in-laws didn't get on well.
Petty jealousy from the York side and arrogance from the Kent side, I presume.
But when Kent died and left Marina a very young widow with young children alone in a foreign country in war times she paid direly for not standing in a better and more sisterly warm relation to the family.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 08:23:34 PM »

Wink

Quebec 1954

With the Duchess of Gloucester

(credit Carolath Habsburg from AP)

(credit KarlandZita from AP)
A_little_bird

Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

Marina was also, apparently, a first-rate snob. Looked down her nose at the little Scottish girl. Wink
A_little_bird

Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »

Marina looked down on her "common" sisters-in-law the Duchesses of York and Gloucester.  So that would hardly engender any warmth from Elizabeth.

Also, the Queen Mother detested three members of the "Family": Edwina Mountbatten, Marina, and Wallis.   All three women were very chic and very sophisticated, and thin.  Cookie was none of that.

A royal biographer once wrote that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother only began to like Marina after the latter's death.

Thumb up You and I are on the same page!

I love that name,"Cookie".
It was not a name of endearment.  Spiteful
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »

The Duke and Duchess of Kent leave for the Coronation of King George VI.     
http://www.alamy.com/duke...rge-vi-image68548372.html
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 10:15:16 PM »

Princess Marina travelled on a royal tour in Australia in 1964.     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGKa6jEszLY
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »

In a move to restore the Polish monarchy, it was proposed that Prince George be made King of Poland. In August 1937, he and Princess Marina visited Poland and were well-received. However, due to the invasion of Poland in the Second World War, the plan was called off.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »

Princess Marina went shopping in Paris before her Royal Wedding.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCbyQtJ78o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: