Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 87905 times)
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2022, 12:36:35 AM »

I would have preferred to see Charlotte in a navy coat with a navy headband instead of mini-adult mourning attire, especially since George was (appropriately, in my opinion) in navy.

I know that sometimes people went way overboard in their ostentatious mourning costumes, and I think the rules about half-mourning were a bit silly.  But I always like the idea that one of the reasons people wore mourning was so others would know to treat them gently because they are still fragile. 

I also found it interesting that - and correct me if this is just an urban legend that has been debunked - the reason Coco Chanel introduced black as a predominant color in her fashion collections was because she was mourning the death of her lover and she wanted to see the whole world mourn with her.  Also, I believe that lover was a Nazi.
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2022, 01:04:59 AM »

Did not some gentlemen wear grey trousers?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »

I would have preferred to see Charlotte in a navy coat with a navy headband instead of mini-adult mourning attire, especially since George was (appropriately, in my opinion) in navy.

I know that sometimes people went way overboard in their ostentatious mourning costumes, and I think the rules about half-mourning were a bit silly.  But I always like the idea that one of the reasons people wore mourning was so others would know to treat them gently because they are still fragile. 

I also found it interesting that - and correct me if this is just an urban legend that has been debunked - the reason Coco Chanel introduced black as a predominant color in her fashion collections was because she was mourning the death of her lover and she wanted to see the whole world mourn with her.  Also, I believe that lover was a Nazi.
Well she might have been mourning some lover, but certainly not the Nazi, who lived HEA on Mallorca till his death at 8o+. She had been together with him until well into the 50s and at that time the LBD was already a phenomenon.
In fact the LBD was est. around the same time as the famous Chanel 5: in the mid 20s.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2022, 01:47:49 AM »

Well she might have been mourning some lover, but certainly not the Nazi, who lived HEA on Mallorca till his death at 8o+. She had been together with him until well into the 50s and at that time the LBD was already a phenomenon.
In fact the LBD was est. around the same time as the famous Chanel 5: in the mid 20s.

So nothing of the story of the origin of black fashion/Chanel is what I had heard!   Laugh bounce

Thanks for the good and accurate info!  Smiley
erinoco

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: September 23, 2022, 08:13:39 PM »

There was a lot of controversy about it at first, starting with the Queen herself who jealously guarded the perqs of her office. But I think for the most part there was an eventual acceptance that Albert kept her on a steadier course, and therefore the affairs of the nation were less erratic as well.

Of course, much of this wasn’t known to the public as a whole, who thought of the Queen as a figurehead.
Gemsheal

Big Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2022, 09:49:44 PM »

So nothing of the story of the origin of black fashion/Chanel is what I had heard!   Laugh bounce

Thanks for the good and accurate info!  Smiley

If she did invent the little black dress as a mourning dress and in the early 1920's it could have been for her lover, Arthur "Boy" Capel who was killed in a car crash. 

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.
~ Helen Keller
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2022, 11:14:07 PM »

Well, Capel died in 1919. Vogue hailed the LBD a staple of a woman's wardrobe in 1926.... And applauded the fashion house for disassociating the colour black from mourning.
So if Coco had intended the LBD as a mourning piece, it failed spectacularly and it became really famous a good time later...
Alas, she might not have grieved the death of a lover, but perhaps experienced a rather unlucky and unhappy love affair? Break-ups and unrequited love hurts just as bad as the final loss of a person, you simply don't get much sympathy from your surroundings.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: