Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savoy Royal Family  (Read 22877 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2019, 02:32:34 AM »

Prince Emanuele Filiberto appeared in a television commercial for a brand of olives, in which he said they make you "feel like a king".

Laugh bounce Laugh bounce
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 02:35:25 AM »

The contention between the two branches is that Vittorio Emanuele married against family rules and his father's wishes, thereby making said marriage invalid and his son ineligible. 
[/quote

Wasn't there also the thingy father Pio told Marie José, about her branch of the family loosing succession or so?

Also VE only has 1 son and just granddaughter, based on the current succession laws it would stop af t er his son
LongMaySheReign

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 09:14:27 PM »

Prince Emanuele Filiberto appeared in a television commercial for a brand of olives, in which he said they make you "feel like a king".

At least he's making his own money lol.
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »

At least he's making his own money lol.

He's moved in with his life and has accepted reality while the rest of his family, all branches, are still waiting for the restoration of the monarchy.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »

Wikipedia declares: The monarchy of the House of Savoy formally ended on June 13, 1946, and Umberto left the country.     
Did King Umberto II abdicate?
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 11:13:10 PM »

Italy voted for the republics, the monarchy was abolished on June 2  1946. The king was exiled.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »

Wikipedia declares: The monarchy of the House of Savoy formally ended on June 13, 1946, and Umberto left the country.     
Did King Umberto II abdicate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_II_of_Italy

"...In hopes of influencing public opinion ahead of a referendum on the continuation of the monarchy, Victor Emmanuel formally abdicated in favour of Umberto on 9 May 1946 and left for Egypt.Before departing for Egypt, Victor Emmanuel saw Umberto for the last time, saying farewell in a cold, emotionless way....."

"..In the 2 June 1946 referendum, a 52% majority voted to make Italy a republic. The conservative, rural Mezzogiorno (southern Italy) region voted solidly for the monarchy while the more urbanised and industrialised Nord (northern Italy) voted equally firmly for a republic. In northern Italy, which had been ruled by the Italian Social Republic, the charges of homosexuality made against Umberto had an impact on the voters, causing at least some conservatives to vote for the republic. From his exile in Egypt, where King Farouk had welcomed him as a guest, Victor Emmanuel expressed no surprise at the result of the referendum as he always viewed Umberto as a failure who was unfit to be king, and claimed that the monarchists would have won the referendum if only he had not abdicated. Umberto himself had expected to win the referendum and was deeply shocked when the majority of his subjects chose a republic…"

"..The republic was formally proclaimed four days later, ending Umberto's brief 34-day reign as king. Umberto at first refused to accept what he called "the outrageous illegality" of the referendum, and took his deposition badly. In his last statement as king, Umberto refused to accept the republic, saying he was the victim of a coup d'état by his ministers and the referendum had been rigged against him…."

"..Some monarchists advocated using force to prevent a republic from being proclaimed, even at the risk of a civil war, but Mack Smith wrote that: "Common sense and patriotism saved Umberto from accepting such counsel".Umberto rejected the advice that he should go to Naples, proclaim a rival government with the intention of starting a civil war in which the Army would presumably side with the House of Savoy under the grounds that "My house united Italy. It will not divide it".The monarchy of the House of Savoy formally ended on 12 June 1946, and Umberto left the country. Prime Minister Alcide de Gasperi assumed office as Italy's interim Head of State. At about 3 pm on 13 June 1946, Umberto left the Quirinal Palace for the last time with the servants all assembled in the courtyard to see him off and many were in tears. At the Ciampino Airport in Rome, as Umberto boarded the air plane that was to take him to Lisbon, a carabiniere grabbed him by the hand and said: "Your Majesty, we will never forget you!”...."

So I wonder if he really officially abdicated, he (just) left Italy to go in exile after the pro-republic outcome of the referendum
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2019, 07:58:18 PM »

The best part is still that his own wife promoted the republicans.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »

Living apart, seperated....but never divorced....an unhappy together couple. There were strong rumpurs he was homosexual, which also influenced the referendum in some parts of Italy.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »

Living apart, seperated....but never divorced....an unhappy together couple. There were strong rumpurs he was homosexual, which also influenced the referendum in some parts of Italy.

I never understood in the first place why Albert and Elisabeth were so keen for their daughter to marry Umberto.

Their own marriage was a love match, as was those of their eldest son.

Why force their daughter into this?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »

I never understood in the first place why Albert and Elisabeth were so keen for their daughter to marry Umberto.

Catholic with catholic perhaps?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »

I read that they wanted their daughter to marry an heir to a throne and Umberto was the only one available. The other Catholic thrones had already gone downhill (like Austria, Bavaria, Saxony).
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »

I read that they wanted their daughter to marry an heir to a throne and Umberto was the only one available. The other Catholic thrones had already gone downhill (like Austria, Bavaria, Saxony).

Understandable
LongMaySheReign

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »

They wanted her to be Queen. I've read that Umberto and Marie-José knew that they will have to marry since they were children.
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2019, 03:12:46 PM »

https://www.politico.eu/a...s-return-of-royal-family/

Emanuele Filiberto has announced "the royals are back", possibly for a TV series.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: