Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savoy Royal Family  (Read 39608 times)
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Je chante donc je suis...

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »

The Prince of Naples and his granddaughter Princess Vittoria who has just turned 18. The Italian royal family is spending the holidays in Switzerland.

http://www.noblesseetroya...el-et-vittoria-de-savoie/

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2022, 01:18:08 AM »

Amadeus V (1249-1323) was the Count of Savoy from 1285 to 1323. Following marriage to Sybille in 1272, Amadeus began life in the service of his cousin, King Edward I of England, as a household knight.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2022, 11:36:42 AM »

https://nos.nl/artikel/24...at-ze-in-een-kluis-liggen

Loosely translated as:

Italian ex-royals want crown jewels back: 'Ridiculous that they are in a safe'

The British Crown Jewels are admired by millions of people every year in the Tower of London. The French are on display in the Louvre. But the Italian Crown Jewels only a handful of people have ever seen in person. The reason: They've been sealed in a vault for 76 years.

A lawsuit that starts today may change that. The descendants of King Umberto II of Savoia, the last king before Italy became a republic in 1946, are reclaiming the jewels. According to them, Umberto II has only given them to the Bank of Italy for safekeeping and they belong to the family.

Diamonds and pearls
"The collection consists of necklaces, bracelets, brooches, earrings and a tiara. All mainly consisting of diamonds," outlines royal family expert Alessandro Sala. The economic value of the pieces has never been established, but according to him the historical value is enormous. "The jewels were made about 150 years ago. And they weren't bought in London or Paris, but made in Italy. That was special at the time."

But to whom do the jewels belong? The Savoia family, the children and grandchildren of Umberto II, state that they belong to the Savoia family patrimony. "It's very simple: my grandfather gave them to the bank for safekeeping. We want what is ours back," prince-entrepreneur Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia (49) recently told the newspaper Corriere della Sera.

But the bank refuses to hand over the jewels to the family. A point of contention is the document that Umberto II added to the jewels in 1946. It states that they are entrusted to the Bank of Italy, which must keep them available "to those who are entitled to them." But who that is is not specified.

"At the time, a referendum on the form of government had just been held. It was not yet clear whether Italy was a republic or a monarchy," explains Alessandro Sala. "Since the king did not know to whom to leave the jewels, he kept the wording vague."

However, Sala has no doubt that the king returned the jewels to the state at the time. "From the time the jewels were made to the last time they were seen in public, they have always belonged to the state," he said after an investigation. "The royal family had them on loan, but they were not their property." According to him, it is therefore unfounded that the Savoia family is now claiming the jewels.

Resell crown jewels?
It is not entirely clear what the Savoia family wants to do with the Italian crown jewels. "I think it would be nice to show them to the Italians," Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia told the Corriere. However, he added that as a grandson he cannot decide that: "It depends on the direct heirs, my father and his sisters. Let's get the jewels first and then see what we do with them."

Royal family expert Alessandro Sala is not reassured about this. According to him, the Savoia family has regularly claimed assets from the state in the past, but they were eventually sold privately. "Books, paintings, porcelain, everything that makes the cash register ring." According to him, that the Savoia family is now talking about displaying the jewels is for the stage: "It is much more likely that once they have the crown jewels in their hands, they will also sell it."

But it won't go that fast, Sala estimates. "A good lawyer might find some loopholes, but legally it seems unlikely to me that the Savoias get their hands on the jewels." In any case, Italian court cases usually take a long time; it can take years for the judge to rule in favor of someone.

The royal expert does hope that the process will generate attention for the crown jewels, so that more Italians learn about their existence. "If there is more interest, it may encourage the government to display the jewels after all," he says. "Ultimately, the jewels are part of the heritage of all Italians. Now most people don't even know they exist."

Celia

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »

Wait, is there an update?  This move hit the news months ago.  They're not regalia, so many people have objected to the use of "crown" jewels when they were mostly private property.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »

Wait, is there an update?  This move hit the news months ago.  They're not regalia, so many people have objected to the use of "crown" jewels when they were mostly private property.

According to the Dutch Newssite, the NOS, where I got this from it is news. As they posted this news item past Tuesday morning (around half past 6 - 7 o'clock AM)
genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2022, 06:41:40 PM »

That's an interesting read, hopefully they'll be put in display in the future.

Need a documentary for the classroom?  Hit me up here: https://historydoctube.weebly.com/
Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: