Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal What Ifs?  (Read 22189 times)
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »

If Edward hadn't married Wallis Simpson we might have missed a lovely Queen. Or we mightened, as the marriage stayed childless.

If Frodo had decided not to go to the Slip in, we might have a different Danish crown princess today.

SvenskaSarah

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »

If Edward hadn't married Wallis Simpson we might have missed a lovely Queen. Or we mightened, as the marriage stayed childless.

If Frodo had decided not to go to the Slip in, we might have a different Danish crown princess today.

I really dont know much about Edward VIII, but were there any potential suitors before Wallis Simspon? Any foreign princesses or aristocrats?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2021, 07:36:57 PM »

I really dont know much about Edward VIII, but were there any potential suitors before Wallis Simspon? Any foreign princesses or aristocrats?

There's the story of Lady Rosemary Millicent Leveson-Gower (1893-1930). She and Edward met during WW1 and Edward later on asked her to marry him. Appearantly George V. had nothing against Rosemary personally, but as her mother was divorced and her uncle a drunkyard he advised his son against it.

Rosemary married Eric Viscount Ednam (later the 3rd Earl of Dudley) and best friend of the Prince of Wales in 1919. They had three sons, one of them dying in 1929 at age seven in a bicycle accident. Rosemary died a year later in a plane crash.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 08:03:58 PM by Kristallinchen » Logged
Gemsheal

Large Member

United States United States

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »

What if Arthur, Prince of Wales, did not die and succeeded his father Henry VII, leaving King Henry VIII a mere "Duke of York"?

This question has always fascinated me.   A happy Catherine of Aragon with healthy sons ... Or maybe not, she might have been as unlucky with Arthur as she was with Henry.  And then perhaps Henry would have ended up inheriting the throne from Arthur anyway.

ďBecause to take away a man's freedom of choice, even his freedom to make the wrong choice, is to manipulate him as though he were a puppet and not a person.Ē

― Madeline L'Engle
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »

What if Arthur, Prince of Wales, did not die and succeeded his father Henry VII, leaving King Henry VIII a mere "Duke of York"?

This question has always fascinated me.   A happy Catherine of Aragon with healthy sons ... Or maybe not, she might have been as unlucky with Arthur as she was with Henry.  And then perhaps Henry would have ended up inheriting the throne from Arthur anyway.

That is right ... it is an interesting story. I always feel sorry for Catherine of Aragon who must have really loved Henry. Henry VIII had bad karma - as his illegitimate son lived - after six women you should think that he should have been lucky enough. But he made mistakes, too. There is no reason why Anne Boleyn should not have had further children. He should have never married Anne of Cleve.
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »

Edward seemed to prefer the company of married women. Lady Furness, Frieda Dudley-Ward  and others. All aristocrats but very much married. Not sure he would have made a good king, too fickle.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2021, 01:24:49 AM »

King Philip II of Spain became King of Portugal in 1580. What if Philip would not have become the monarch? Who would have become King of Portugal instead?
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »

Thatís a terrific question, CS - I donít know the answer but wow, you have me wondering!!!  (Off to do some family trees....)

A star for you!  Thanks for my next sleuthing mission!

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »

Thatís a terrific question, CS - I donít know the answer but wow, you have me wondering!!!  (Off to do some family trees....)

Wishing you a good quest. Philip II of Spain was also of importance for the Netherlands....As an enemy Wink
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2021, 12:41:27 AM »

Curtains, I am glad that you like the question. Philip's mother had been an Infanta of Portugal.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2021, 01:22:02 AM »

What if Archduke Maximilian of Austria had not become the Emperor of Mexico? What if he had become the heir to the Austrian throne after the demise of his nephew Crown Prince Rudolph?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2021, 01:43:43 PM »

Interesting concept, but I think little would have changed.
The assassinator's intent wasn't personal, but political and so it might have been not Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary who died in that attack but another heir and the consequence would have been the very same....
As for Mexico? Don't think the habsburgs had been a noticeable impact on the country.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2021, 01:38:34 AM »

Archduke Maximilian could have been Emperor Maximilian I. Or he could have used his first name of Ferdinand and been Emperor Ferdinand II.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »

Archduke Maximilian could have been Emperor Maximilian I. Or he could have used his first name of Ferdinand and been Emperor Ferdinand II.

Well, if he had survived his older brother Franz Joseph..... Also he and Charlotte had no children, so the succession would have probably still gone to the descendants of the 3rd brother Karl Ludwig.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: