Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tudor-Talk  (Read 22036 times)
Curtains

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2021, 03:18:05 AM »

King Henry VII's mother was Margaret Beaufort. The Beauforts were excluded from the succession. So how strong was Henry VII's claim to the throne?

My understanding is that the claim was very weak. I’m reading a book called ‘Uncrowned Queen’ so it should be good to understand more. Will get back to you!

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »

HenryVII was not only his mother's son, he also had a father...
His father was (afaIk) son of Catherine of Valois, and a half brother to HenryVI, who died without issue...
Everytime a monarch has no issue, the question of who is the first or the most suitable heir is a problematic one. Which is why HenryVIII went to such great and tragic length to secure one.
Margaret Beauford was a great granddaughter of John the Gaunt and thus had a claim to the throne, albeit not an overly strong one. And I presume at that time several people with equally weak claims simply fought for dominance. The Tudors simply had the best connections and the most money.
RichardIII made several tactical mistakes in making enemies at too many different fronts.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: