Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tudor-Talk  (Read 7978 times)
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 02:30:43 AM »

Henry VIII ruled in his own right as soon as he came to the throne. He arrested his father's collectors of taxes and fines, Sir Richard Empson and Edmund Dudley. They were charged with high treason and executed.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »

Henry VIII ruled in his own right as soon as he came to the throne. He arrested his father's collectors of taxes and fines, Sir Richard Empson and Edmund Dudley. They were charged with high treason and executed.

Would be interesting to know, if some illness was behind his paranoia.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »

There is an excellent BBC YouTube Clip about "inside Henry VIII's Body" with the always interresting Lucy Worsley. They do talk about his several illnesses and the effect that some of the immense pains should have on a body.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ofdjTzZRm8

I think Henry's older brother Arthur married Katherine of Aragon for political reasons; Henry however, I have always gathered, did it because he genuinely loved or liked her (and the allience reasons still stood).
By all accounts Henry and Katherina had a very good marriage for almost 15 years which is longer than most marriages lasted in those times (premature death didn't grant everybody a golden wedding anniversary).
I think Henry in his middle-ages (as many men!!) started to have a bit of a Midlife-crisis: his entire world- and self-image was deeply anchored in this powerful Prince image:
The best in battle, the tallest in the country (he was extremely tall for his time) the best looking, the best in every competition - he was Britain and Britain was only as strong as his powerful prince.
Yet this powerhorse simply could not sire a son and heir...and at a time when you looked to the above to explain things, he came up with rather weird answers. He wasn't the first (or the last) to dispose of a wife, who couldn't bear him a son, only quite possibly the most awkward and inapt.

His whole personality changed drastically after the accident he had while already married to Boleyn, I think this is the turning Point at which he started going mad.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »

Very interesting, fairy.  Star

I also think that if Katherine and Henry would've had living sons, he never would've turned to AB.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »

He would not have divorced his wife, he might have persued AB nevertheless.
As I said, there was a terrible accident some years into his marriage with AB where he was badly hurt during a jousting Tournament, which basically ruined what was left of his health.
We can argue that he would have calmed down with with several grown sons and heirs, content that the succession was secure and perhaps even taking pride in his sons' powress. But I believe  it was his nature to be competitive and the best and the most powerful, so he would have competed anyway perhaps even to best his sons.
In any case, sons would have change the course of history tremenduously. (he was a notoriously quick on signing death warrants, so had he remained married to KoA, the death toll might only be 2 women less..)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »

True. I also think that he would've taken AB as a mistress or something similar.
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »

True. I also think that he would've taken AB as a mistress or something similar.

Only if AB was willing to play mistress. 

Despite it all,  I think AB had too much self respect to settle for that alone.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 02:20:18 AM »

From her coronation Queen Mary I walked out carrying an orb and two scepters as she was both King and Queen.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »

Only if AB was willing to play mistress. 

Despite it all,  I think AB had too much self respect to settle for that alone.
No, I think she simply played him right.

Mary's life motto:
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »

But she did come to a rather bad end.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »

But she did come to a rather bad end.
Not sure if the old saying: " when a man marries his mistress, he creates a vacancy" is quite as old?  Thinking

Mary's life motto:
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »

Just eleven days after the execution of Queen Anne Boleyn, King Henry VIII married Jane Seymour on May 30, 1536.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMuqyGQq5M
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 06:13:23 PM »

Today's trivia: Do you know where the expression Rule of Thumb comes from? In Tudor times the law was that  a husband could beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 02:46:35 AM »

Many people assumed that the newly declared Henry VII would swiftly marry Elizabeth of York, the daughter of King Edward IV. Henry VII did not marry her right away. However, they did eventually marry.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »

Today's trivia: Do you know where the expression Rule of Thumb comes from? In Tudor times the law was that  a husband could beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.
Gosh, back then you needed a ruler to choose a hubby: you know size of foot and nose for future ahem pleasure and the thumb for pain..

Mary's life motto:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: