Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aristocratic/Noble weddings  (Read 153084 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »

And just the other day we are talking about Ivor Guest. Funny, he shows up here too.  Angel

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Curtains

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »

And just the other day we are talking about Ivor Guest. Funny, he shows up here too.  Angel

Ivor? He's a terrible guest!

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »

Well you know that thing with Guest and fish... though of course the fact that Ivor the 2. has been dead for almost 50 years doesn't help with the smell.
No, seriously.. All Guests are called Ivor and the current one (I think he is Ivor the 5.) is a musician and composer....looks a bit like Snape though...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

Ivor? He's a terrible guest!

Ivor?  I barely know her! 
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

Well since he had to relinquish his seat at the house of Lords I hardly ever see him anymore....

Mary's life motto:
Lady Adelaide

Humongous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »

May 27

Princess Maria Antonia von Sachsen Gessaphe married Klaus Hutter in Metten, Germany

And of course Gloria was there 
LittleThunder

Huge Member

France France

Forever my Queen.

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

Star Congratulations to them !  Champagne Beer Jumping They seem happy.  Cute

I didn't know about this lady Gloria, but I'll try to follow her appearences on RD now.  Cool

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »

May 27

Princess Maria Antonia von Sachsen Gessaphe married Klaus Hutter in Metten, Germany

And of course Gloria was there 

Gloria looks like a bowl of rainbow sherbet ice cream.  Laugh bounce Laughing

I love the bride's tiara! 
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »

Well, Gloria is, via her deceased husband, in some degree related to the former Royal House of Saxonia, of which the bride's father forms somehow part by adoption ...

But given that in the "old" noble houses of Germany, it was quite usual to have 5 or more children and all these houses married only amongst each other, Gloria might be related to 90% of the families listed in the Gotha Genealogy Almanach, either through Thurn & Taxis or through her own family.
Plus: she loves to party, so I guess she will show up to whatever noble wedding spree she's invited to.

It's a rather MAXian outfit she's wearing.
__

I wondered abtut the bride's tiara as well. There are so many laurel wreath tiaras out there, but I have never seen this particular one before. It's nice and she wears it well.
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »

Aren't the Saxe-Gessaphes only ersatz royalty?

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

Aren't the Saxe-Gessaphes only ersatz royalty?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxe-Gessaphe

"....Saxe-Gessaphe is the name of a family descended in the female line from former kings of Saxony, a member of which was recognized by a childless pretender to that throne as eventual heir to the deposed dynasty's rights. The claim is contested by an agnatic descendant of the former royal house, and both claims are clouded by conflicting interpretations of the dynastic laws which governed the succession to the defunct throne of Saxony, and by familial dispute......"

"...The family descends from Princess Anna of Saxony (13 December 1929 – 13 March 2012) and her husband Roberto de Afif (1916–1978). Anna was a sister of Maria Emanuel, Margrave of Meissen, the childless head of the ex-royal House of Saxony and, as such, titular King of Saxony. Of the five children of the late Prince Friedrich Christian (1893–1968), son and heir of Saxony's last king Friedrich August III (who was obliged to abdicate in 1918 coincident with Germany's surrender in World War I), Anna is the only one who has living, legitimate children..."

"....Prince Johannes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1969-1987), of the Ernestine branch of the House of Wettin, was killed in a mountain climbing accident while still a youth, leaving his maternal uncle, Margrave Maria Emanuel, without a dynastic heir in the next generation of Wettins. However the eldest son of his sister Anna, Alexander Afif (b. Munich 12 February 1954), had married Princess Gisela of Bavaria (b. 10 September 1964) in 1987. In May 1997 the Margrave, who has upheld the dynasty's marital standards despite its deposition and exile, recognized Alexander Afif as his heir. By formally adopting him two years later, the Margrave conferred upon Alexander the legal surname of "Prinz von Sachsen" (literally, Prince of Saxony). Thus was created the family of Saxe-Gessaphe, a cognatic offshoot of the royal House of Wettin: With the approval of the Margrave, Alexander, his sons, and his brothers are also known as Princes of Saxe-Gessaphe.[7]

In the spring of 1997 it was announced that the surviving male dynasts of the royal House (presumably Princes Albert, Dedo, and Gero) had met and consented to the designation of Alexander as dynastic heir in the event that none of them leave sons by dynastically valid marriages....."

"....However the Margrave's brother, Prince Albert, subsequently stated that he did not accept that decision as binding. He preferred that Rüdiger Prinz von Sachsen, the son of his first cousin the late Prince Timo of Saxony (1923 - 1982) (and Rüdiger's three sons) succeed to the royal Saxon claim.[10] Since Rüdiger's mother was a commoner, retroactive "de-morganatization" of the late Timo's marriage was required to "dynaticize" his offspring, an act the agnates of the royal house who participated in the 1997 decision did not undertake. In some circumstances German princely law (Fürstenrecht) did allow a consensus of dynasts - or the last surviving male dynast - to dynasticize the issue of a morganatic marriage through unanimous and irrevocable action.[11] Albert had become the last prince of the male line when he died on 6 October 2012)

However, Saxony's constitution and house law explicitly required that descendants of the royal house had to be born of "equal marriage" in order to succeed to the throne. Moreover, Fürstenrecht, derived from German legal customs, was considered subordinate in applicability to enacted law.[12] Under such circumstances, if Alexander's father and Rüdiger's mother would not have qualified as "equal in birth" (ebenbürtig) for purposes of the succession, neither of them might be deemed eligible to become the next pretender to the Saxon royal throne. If, however, the Afif heritage is deemed to have been "princely", Alexander, at least, may qualify as a dynast without resort to an act of "de-morganatization"....."

"....In the event that Princess Anna's marriage with Roberto Afif is not deemed dynastically acceptable, the next cognatic heir born of dynastic marriage (and thus potentially a rival to Alexander) might be found in Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern (born 1952) as the grandson of Princess Margaret of Saxony (1900-1962), the eldest aunt of Maria Emanuel....."

Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »

So.... if not ersatz, then merely fringe-ish, and definitely contested. I knew I remembered something about them. Thanks.

Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »

Gloria has been wearing that suit for years, and I think her daughters have also borrowed it in the past.  I'm impressed that she can still fit into it.

I love that tiara!  It looks gorgeous against the bride's dark hair.  The German princely weddings usually have really great turn-outs from other princely houses --wish we could see more guests.
genegal43

Micro Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

Gloria has been wearing that suit for years, and I think her daughters have also borrowed it in the past.  I'm impressed that she can still fit into it.

I love that tiara!  It looks gorgeous against the bride's dark hair.  The German princely weddings usually have really great turn-outs from other princely houses --wish we could see more guests.

That is impressive that she can still fit in it.

I agree about your feelings towards the tiara.  I like it too!

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Empress of Blandings

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »

Ivor Guest was the candidate of the National Party of the 1935 General Election and won the election.  
From 1935 to 1939, he was National Member of Parliament for Brecon and Radnor.
Oh well, of course! That's certainly a good reason for yet another totally random and irrelevant post to bring him up on a royal <ahem> discussion <ahem, ahem> board  Blink
Coming to this late, but the title of the thread is Aristocratic and Noble weddings. I think this contribution fits.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: