Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII  (Read 60835 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

That first picture shows a really lovely young woman. I've always found Wallis striking and attractive but never pretty or even beautiful...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
mjkimura1976

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »

Totally superficial judgement, but Wallis looked beautiful as a young woman, but just got sharp and brittle looking when she got older.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »

Well, there is the old saying that after 50, you have to make a decision between your face looking good or your ass. If you haveenough body fat to not look gaunt in the face, the ass is tres grande. If you are thin enough for the ass to look good, the face looks sharp/gaunt. Of course today, we have some help available to address these issues!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »

LOL, a friend of my mom always said at age 40 a woman has to decide between a goat and a cow.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Noodlesza

Gigantic Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »

I didnt even know about this. Rather sad but I guess way back then people with mental disabilities weren't understood as they are today

http://www.telegraph.co.u...brother-as-an-animal.html

Keen!
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »

When I was in junior high school, I thought their story was so romantic... love conquers all type of thing. Then, I learned more about this unfortunate  pair. This letter about John is just more of his whiny poor me, bullshit. Edward was a pretty foul person, in my estimation.  Also, I always read that Queen Mary did visit John and that Queen Alexandra would often visit him on weekends. Edward lived in his own world, and I wouldn't trust his reporting for much.

maxie

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »

@ Noodlesza
Precisely. Look at the example of the Kennedy daughter who became the victim of a lobotomie (considered a cure at this time).
Noodlesza

Gigantic Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »

@ Noodlesza
Precisely. Look at the example of the Kennedy daughter who became the victim of a lobotomie (considered a cure at this time).

So glad things have changed since then.

Keen!
hazeleyes

Big Member

China China

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »

I didnt even know about this. Rather sad but I guess way back then people with mental disabilities weren't understood as they are today

Ppl seem to forget how manipulative Edward was. The Windsor genes include woe-is-me whininess and manipulation.

Edward hated being abroad and he used his brother's death as a means to come home. If he came home, the press would have known about it and sniffed around. George did not need the press backlash of why the heir cannot do his job.

This letter was Edward acting out because he did not get what he wanted, so he tried to manipulate the situation. This letter has been hinted at for a while by historians. The government kept copies of all of Edward's letters to anyone that was not BRF. This is just the first time the original was released.

So what does he do? He writes to his mistress, knowing fully well that every letter he wrote would be opened and it's contents retold to his father, and says all of these horrible things about his brother and how his family feels about John?

Edward was a whiner who was lashing out and knew that the things he wrote to his mistress would end up revealing themselves to his father. From what I know about George and Mary's relationship, George wouldn't tell Mary about certain things to avoid upsetting her and instead he would just get really angry. That's why nobody in the family understood why when Edward came back from his posting, George refused to even look at him. Would not look him in the eye, completely ignored him as if Edward did not exist. This was un-categorically George.

Mary was trying to soothe things over between them for MONTHS. She was sad that John just died and did not want another son gone. Normally George blew up and yelled at Edward, so to have George not even acknowledge Edward's existence was a huge strain in the family at the time. Mary actually thought it was because George found out about another mistress that was talking and tried to talk to Edward about settling down. Poor Mary thought it was just about Edward not being a proper gentleman. From what I know, it was not until after the abdication that Mary found out about the letters. I remember I read a passage where someone quoted her as saying "Poor poor George. Poor poor George", which really confused people. That reaction made the papers and everyone thought it was because Edward disappointed George, yet again. This caused another flurry of letters from Edward (who could never forgo the temptation to make himself look like a victim) saying how cruel Mary was for thinking about George and not him.

Yes, George and Mary did not want the public to know about John--but that was also advised by parliament. But to say that nobody loved John or that he was an animal was excessively cruel. John's death did take a toll on King George. He was very depressed for a while in private. Many were concerned about his mental health as a result. He took the death of John harder than Mary.

If you don't know, now you know. -Notorious B.I.G.
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »

As I recall, Queen Mary demanded an apology out of Edward regarding ugly statements about John that Edward wrote in a letter to Mary.

masha
Banned
Banned
Small Member

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »

Ppl seem to forget how manipulative Edward was. The Windsor genes include woe-is-me whininess and manipulation.

Edward hated being abroad and he used his brother's death as a means to come home. If he came home, the press would have known about it and sniffed around. George did not need the press backlash of why the heir cannot do his job.

This letter was Edward acting out because he did not get what he wanted, so he tried to manipulate the situation. This letter has been hinted at for a while by historians. The government kept copies of all of Edward's letters to anyone that was not BRF. This is just the first time the original was released.

So what does he do? He writes to his mistress, knowing fully well that every letter he wrote would be opened and it's contents retold to his father, and says all of these horrible things about his brother and how his family feels about John?

Edward was a whiner who was lashing out and knew that the things he wrote to his mistress would end up revealing themselves to his father. From what I know about George and Mary's relationship, George wouldn't tell Mary about certain things to avoid upsetting her and instead he would just get really angry. That's why nobody in the family understood why when Edward came back from his posting, George refused to even look at him. Would not look him in the eye, completely ignored him as if Edward did not exist. This was un-categorically George.

Mary was trying to soothe things over between them for MONTHS. She was sad that John just died and did not want another son gone. Normally George blew up and yelled at Edward, so to have George not even acknowledge Edward's existence was a huge strain in the family at the time. Mary actually thought it was because George found out about another mistress that was talking and tried to talk to Edward about settling down. Poor Mary thought it was just about Edward not being a proper gentleman. From what I know, it was not until after the abdication that Mary found out about the letters. I remember I read a passage where someone quoted her as saying "Poor poor George. Poor poor George", which really confused people. That reaction made the papers and everyone thought it was because Edward disappointed George, yet again. This caused another flurry of letters from Edward (who could never forgo the temptation to make himself look like a victim) saying how cruel Mary was for thinking about George and not him.

Yes, George and Mary did not want the public to know about John--but that was also advised by parliament. But to say that nobody loved John or that he was an animal was excessively cruel. John's death did take a toll on King George. He was very depressed for a while in private. Many were concerned about his mental health as a result. He took the death of John harder than Mary.

This is a so interesting, thank you  hazeleyes  Star
masha
Banned
Banned
Small Member

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »

Prince John - The Windsors Tragic Secret

https://www.youtube.com/r...+john+the+forgotten+royal
hazeleyes

Big Member

China China

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »

As I recall, Queen Mary demanded an apology out of Edward regarding ugly statements about John that Edward wrote in a letter to Mary.

Yes I believe that was after he married Wallis. He tried to hurt Mary anyway he could when she would not support him and instead told him that it was her duty to support Bertie.

Edward really was an ugly little man with a horrible personality. He had very few redeeming traits.

Many of letters exchanged between the rest of siblings always allude to Mary's favoritism towards John. Add into the fact that Queen Alexandra and John got along very well, which was seen by many as Alexandra approving of Mary's favoritism.

I mean, you have to take into account that every single doctor that had visited John, and there were numerous, had told Mary and George that John would be very lucky to live past the age of 10. They were all trying to make him comfortable because they all knew that he would not live long. That was the mentality.

Queen Alexandra gave him a garden and would often garden with him at Wood Farm. When Mary was told that John was sad because he would stare off at the main house in Sandringham when guests came over since he had no companions, she went out personally and collected children from the grounds and asked him to be his playmates. George had a fit when he found out that Mary had asked common children to play with a royal and yet, she stood her ground. She also got Alexandra to berate George.  I never viewed it as a matter of isolating John to be malicious, but rather, considering how most epileptics were treated at the time, John's life was made very comfortable. Edward hardly visited him but Bertie would visit him quite often and his sister Mary would visit him once in a while too.  

That is not to say that I excuse their demeanour towards John. He was a young boy who needed love and understanding, and isolating him while keeping him in the company of just his governess 24/7 was just cruel.

But they did view John's life as filled with suffering so they were mentions of how glad they were that John's suffering was alleviated when he died.

If you don't know, now you know. -Notorious B.I.G.
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »

Prince John was buried next to Alexandra's baby John who lived for one day and Alexandra supposedly said to Mary 'now our Johnnies are together.'

I don't think it can be stressed how much Edward used the suffering of his brother to his own advantage, trying to score a trip home to see Thelma Furness during the funeral. But as pointed out, George put a stop to it. I really feel for George, Mary, Bertie and the family being related to that wretch, Edward.

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »

The quotes in the article show what a piece of merde David was. Can't stand him anyway, but I remember as I got older and the internet opened up so many sources, my mind was blown as to how awful he really was.

As for John himself, you have to remember that seizures and/or any kind of mental disability was seen as a shameful thing, something to be hidden, especially in the upper classes. A previous poster brought up Rosemary Kennedy; we can also look toward the Bowes-Lyons family, where two of the current Queen's aunts were institutionalized and rarely if ever referred to. We can even refer to Prince Philip's mother, who had her nervous breakdown - even she was sent away in what we consider modern times, within the maturation of the psychoanalytic movement. Those kind of afflictions prior to today's thinking was a shameful thing, a stain upon the family, and would affect the eligibility of their children for marriage.

Can you imagine the horror if John had an epileptic attack in public! The shame of it! Especially as someone as image conscious as George and Mary... now, today, we think of that attitude as barbaric, but they didn't know better; that's just how it was handled.

The understanding of mental illness and neurological disorders have come a long way in almost the hundred years since John's death. Yet even today, people are scared of what they don't understand, and will shun those who suffer. Some things never really change.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: